grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

As expected, it's shaping up to be very frontloaded with little to no walkups after the huge early sales. And yet, it'll likely still be the biggest opening of this quarter, which goes to show just how unappealing the fall slate is. And who's to say it doesn't get even drier now that Hollywood's last ray of hope got promptly snuffed out yesterday?

Is an opening of around $90M to $95M attainable for this? That's where I see it. Maybe Freddy will outperform this, but all signs point to it being just as, if not more frontloaded than this, so I don't think its internal multiplier will be enough to surpass Eras.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Is an opening of around $90M to $95M attainable for this? That's where I see it. Maybe Freddy will outperform this, but all signs point to it being just as, if not more frontloaded than this, so I don't think its internal multiplier will be enough to surpass Eras.

No, they don’t, at least not from a pace of ticket buying perspective

It is reasonable to believe, given the late Spooky Season opening and Day & Date streaming release that Freddy will fall off precipitously after the opening Friday (a la Halloween) and wind up below ERAS for OW, but not even the MCU fan base is comparable to the presale power the Swifties just displayed, much less a video game based horror film 

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Hearing we'll have an updated/final preview number within the next half hour or so.

Well with that much time to kill...who has some Taylor hot takes to share?

Is me saying 1989 is her best album a hot take? Because I guess that's mine. Though Bad Blood is pretty trash. Red is a fun one too, though that is more thanks to certain singles like 22 and We Are Never Getting Back Together.

21 minutes ago, Shawn said:

2.8 from 2700 theaters, reported by AMC

Yeah, that 2.8 would have just been moved to Fri if they hadnt done the surprise release on Thurs. Won't matter much when weekend gets added up.

Edited by Mojoguy

In a vacuum, $2.8M is fairly weak but when you consider that’s about 130K tickets sold in less than 24 hours for a highly frontloaded concert preview it’s not bad at all. 

It’s also funny to think that probably 50%+ of those tickets where purchased by people who already had tickets.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eric Feels 22 said:

Well with that much time to kill...who has some Taylor hot takes to share?

Is me saying 1989 is her best album a hot take? Because I guess that's mine. Though Bad Blood is pretty trash. Red is a fun one too, though that is more thanks to certain singles like 22 and We Are Never Getting Back Together.

1989 is my least favorite Taylor album (although Style and Blank Space are spectacular) so between the two of us we have a hot take for sure 

5 minutes ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

In a vacuum, $2.8M is fairly weak but when you consider that’s about 130K tickets sold in less than 24 hours for a highly frontloaded concert preview it’s not bad at all. 

It’s also funny to think that probably 50%+ of those tickets where purchased by people who already had tickets.

I think could have been much higher if they had weekend tix refundable.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lol so much for attempting to fudge a higher opening with previews

How is this a fudge when literally every movie debut now plays the entirety of Thursday (and often even earlier), and these Thursday evening shows were just announced at the very last minute? 

Does anyone even remember the last time there was a wide movie for which Thursday "previews" only started at 6pm?

Edited by Dephira
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Lowish turnout for last night's shows makes complete sense given how 11th hour the announcement was and the majority of Swifties having already bought their tickets/made their plans for tonight. Seems like a strategic move (so that her younger stans wouldn't skip school or stay out late on a school night) if you ask me.

Honestly $2.8m is really impressive considering how they added the show at the last minute.

I do wonder if we'll ever see a theatrical production crack the top ten? I know in the US, SAG and American Equity can't seem to agree on how a recorded performance is compensated. it's not an issue elsewhere such as British Equity since theatre and film are agreed by the same union.

5 minutes ago, Dephira said:

1989 is my least favorite Taylor album (although Style and Blank Space are spectacular) so between the two of us we have a hot take for sure 

I like 1989 as an album, my favourite song from that is Welcome to New York which must be the only Taylor Swift song that was used so much in movies that didn't get a single release.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Honestly $2.8m is really impressive considering how they added the show at the last minute.

I do wonder if we'll ever see a theatrical production crack the top ten? I know in the US, SAG and American Equity can't seem to agree on how a recorded performance is compensated. it's not an issue elsewhere such as British Equity since theatre and film are agreed by the same union.

I feel like Hamilton was going to test to see how big a recording of a theatrical production could be but was ultimately sacrificed to streaming cause of the pandemic. Not sure there are any others that could compete: I know it's confirmed there's a recording of a performance by the original cast of The Book of Mormon shot back in 2010-2011 out there somewhere waiting to see the light of day but that would also likely end up sold to a streamer should they ever decide to finally reveal it.