Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm sorry but it's got a 250 million dollar plus price tag. It costs nearly twice Blue Beetle. It's absolutely comparable.

And it wasn't made for theaters. It wasn't even going to get a wide release until literally August 29th. It wasn't made for wide release. Whatever it makes in theaters, it makes. The main thing it was made for was to get Apple TV+ more subscriptions.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, harry713 said:

Glad TET will again take the crown this weekend since Cruel Summer is going #1 on next weeks BB Hot100 chart. The headlines Monday will read 'Taylor tops the box office and billboard charts simultaneously'. 

Amazingly, she wouldn’t be the first to do this. J-all, in her hay day had a #1 movie at theatres and a completely unrelated non-soundtrack album at #1 on the Billboard album  chart in the same week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

And it wasn't made for theaters. It wasn't even going to get a wide release until literally August 29th. It wasn't made for wide release. Whatever it makes in theaters, it makes. The main thing it was made for was to get Apple TV+ more subscriptions.

You keep saying things that only make it more comparable to Blue Beetle, a movie shot for HBO Max that ended up getting a wide release. That wasn't even going to get a limited release!

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

KotFM will still be more profitable than Marvels.

After the Oscar campaign? Promo that goes on for the next three months post release?

Its no secret that Apple TV is a loss leader but come on, let's not magically pretend this movie was inexpensive. Saying "it was never supposed to be a wide release" does not change that it is one!

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Industry sources with super early numbers say...

KOTFM: 10.75 Fri (with previews)

Eras: 10.5 Fri (excludes Thu)

Let's see where this goes.

I really wanted 30M+ for KOTFM to keep the 100M+ hopes alive...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Also, I just checked my theater, and there are more tickets sold for the 5:30 pm showing of Nightmare Before Christmas than the 4:55 showing of KotFM.

And Nightmare Before Christmas is on the smallest screen.

It could be just your theater or it could be a bad sign that Killers is just going to die during later shows due to the length and playing to the dinner at 4:00 and bed at 8:00 crowd. Hope it is the former fear it is the later. 

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Nolan is a very efficient director, I think he's one of the few directors who was under budget on a few films.

Marty is a great director but budget control is not his strong point. 

The synopsis for The Wager reads: “Set in the 1740s, Wager’s story is set in motion when a patched-together boat with 30 emaciated men landed on the coast of Brazil.The men were the surviving crew of British ship that was chasing a Spanish vessel and had crashed onto an island in South America’s Patagonia region. Their tales of surviving the seas and elements made them heroes.

His next movie already sounds expensive, but if Apple's also backing it then he has no worries.

39 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

You keep saying things that only make it more comparable to Blue Beetle, a movie shot for HBO Max that ended up getting a wide release. That wasn't even going to get a limited release!

Blue Beetle was chosen to be given a wide release with a wide release-scale of advertising way in advance and was pretty much sent to theaters to try to make it profitable since Zaslav hated the HBO Max-exclusive idea. Killers of The Flower Moon was only pushed to wide once the market dried up post-strike and was advertised like a limited release film for most of its marketing cycle. They're not comparable. I know you hate Scorsese since he trashed your precious MCU but this is just silly.

• Like 1

Moderation

Yeah we're done with this current fight over Flower Moon being a bomb or not. There's a bit too much personal fighting/fanboy war stuff going on that we just straight up don't need here. Please divert the conversation elsewhere. Thank you!

• Like 1

Saw X is outselling the Exorcist in basically all the theaters in my area. And in most of the theaters by me, Saw X is being given more showtimes than Exorcist (Only 1 more typically). I think we'll see another small drop for Saw X this weekend, but I think Exorcist is in too many more theaters than Saw X for Saw to do better overall this weekend than Exorcist.