Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

46 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Zodiac didn’t stick with you for long? :( it’s my favorite movie of all time, no movie is as haunting and frustrating (in a good way) for me

Seven is Fincher's best movie and a level higher than any other movie he has done for me. Haven't seen Killer. Zodiac okay. Fight Club probably second for me. After Seven I had high hopes for Fincher but for me he hasn't gotten better like Denis Villeneuve by every movie that he makes.

Nextflix should give Fincher a budget to do a movie every year, or another MindHunter season at the least.

The killer was good, a little boring here and there. 

The intro is an absolute banger, Trent Reznor and Fincher are must-see collab for sure.

42 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

You might think that it was previously in a bleak place qualitywise or whatever but I hope you can see the difference between that and literally a bunch of further closures job losses etc.   

If MCU was performing well it’s worth like 1.5B+ DOM per year, current level looks more like 500M or something. That’s a pretty appreciable chunk of the whole post-pandemic market!

Yeah pretty much. I've always said I don't mind if the MCU dies out but if it does I'd like it to be because it gets replaced because otherwise, that's a big chunk of the market just going up in smoke and that doesn't do anybody any good.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Yeah pretty much. I've always said I don't mind if the MCU dies out but if it does I'd like it to be because it gets replaced because otherwise, that's a big chunk of the market just going up in smoke and that doesn't do anybody any good.

It might take time, but the market always self corrects

10 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It might take time, but the market always self corrects

Who knows really. And if the next big thing really is videogame movies, I sure hope they start bringing more to the table than just "wink wink I'm doing the thing from the games".

Series have already started, surely films can too.

Edited by JustLurking

One movie will not make or break anything but MCU has been on consistent decline in a while. From NWH till Marvels every movie sold fewer ticket during its opening day presales than predecessor. That is 6 movies in a row. That said Marvels hit such a nadir that next movie will reverse the trend :-)

One thing feeling the pulse with high school kids as I have a father of one, there is little interest in Marvels while something like Freddy was the thing just 2 weeks ago despite being a hybrid release. So movies will still continue to thrive. Barbenheimer did show that this summer. Hopefully we will see something surprising next year. That is great rather than predicting the Top 3 to be some MCU movie or a Disney princess movie. It will also force Disney to innovate outside its comfort zones if its low hanging fruits aren't good enough. I am keeping fingers crossed that Mufasa does poorly. 

Edit: on Marvels sat, thinking around 15.5ish. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Agreed. Someone like a Blunt or like an Emma Stone would have nailed it. Not necessarily talking about the sequel because I have not seen that yet and it wouldn't be fair for me to review a performance that I haven't seen. 

I never exactly got her appeal but during the Endgame era you can't exactly comment on it without getting backlash lol

11 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Just booked a tripleheader (thanks A-List!) for this evening: The Holdovers, Dream Scenario, and Saltburn. Can't remember the last time I've been able to get such a god-tier list of R-rated indie dramadies in one go.

Man, I got spoiled tonight. Holdovers was my last watch, and the one I’m gonna need to dwell on the most. It’s an Alexander Payne film, Christmas film, Giamatti character study all rolled up into one. What is to be expected and delivered other than excellence and warm fuzzy heartbreak.

Dream Scenario was a diet-fever dream. The first two thirds nailed the unsettling element, the last third tried to get into meta-commentary that I felt tacked on, and the climax of the film lacked punch. Cage was great, I actually got Giamatti vibes from his characterization of the lead Paul.

Finally, Saltburn. Hooo boy. Barry Keoghan lets it all hang out with a ballsy performance here. Rosamund Pike is the scene-stealer among the rest of the  cast, with the most overtly comedic performance. There’s several extended moments in this film that are not going to sit well with casual audiences, and the film doesn’t tie together at the end as neatly as Promising Young Woman, but it’s a go-for-broke journey and it’s the film from this group I’m most eager to catch again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Legion Again said:

You might think that it was previously in a bleak place qualitywise or whatever but I hope you can see the difference between that and literally a bunch of further closures job losses etc.   

If MCU was performing well it’s worth like 1.5B+ DOM per year, current level looks more like 500M or something. That’s a pretty appreciable chunk of the whole post-pandemic market!

But that’s my point - if those jobs are that dependent on MCU sustaining itself then the industry is already in a bleak place. In a healthy industry there’d be a ton of other projects they could easily work on outside of that, because in a healthy industry the mid-market wouldn’t have been gutted out. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Deadpool 3 and Joker 2 were already well positioned but now they are going to also benefit from being the only major CBMs coming out next year (Kraven will just be a footnote unless it pulls a mini-Venom, Madame Web can't possibly be making its current date considering we've seen nothing at just 3 months before release now)

27 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Zodiac is fincher’s best movie. Took me about 3 watches to come to that conclusion though. 

Maybe that's it.. Needs more rewatches because it . Because that film has some banger  scenes that go toe to toe with some of his best work. That interrogation scene is just quite something.

But 

It's slowly paced and you really feel the time. Something interesting happens then following chunks you get into the procedural elements and yeah acting is good but everything kind of starts to drag.

It's a very methodical film.

25 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Deadpool 3 and Joker 2 were already well positioned but now they are going to also benefit from being the only major CBMs coming out next year (Kraven will just be a footnote unless it pulls a mini-Venom, Madame Web can't possibly be making its current date considering we've seen nothing at just 3 months before release now)

There are rumours of a trailer being released next week, and with the movie already being filmed as well as the strikes no longer being an issue, it'll most likely make it to its current date. But I do agree with your general sentiment. Next year being very light on major cape fare can, if both sides play their cards right, lead to a strong rebound for them in 2025.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Marston said:

Why are we even talking about MI when we have likely the biggest bomb of all time right here?

Because it needs company in the top 5 biggest flops of the year :) 

Marvels

Indiana Jones

Flash

MI7

Wonder what the 5th will be? 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Seven is Fincher's best movie and a level higher than any other movie he has done for me. Haven't seen Killer. Zodiac okay. Fight Club probably second for me. After Seven I had high hopes for Fincher but for me he hasn't gotten better like Denis Villeneuve by every movie that he makes.

And yet Fincher's highs are higher than Villeneuve highs.

• Thanks 1