Borobudur

Weekdays Thread: Boy and the Heron-Mon:1.19m, Tue: 1.46m, Wed: 1.3m

17 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why does it feel like so many critics against Wonka? So many reviews I've read are hung up on the prequel aspect of the film, as if folks really care about continuity between it and the 70s film.

I think as a premise, Wonka feels like it’s part of the nostalgia franchising trend that people are getting tired of. Pretty impressive that it’s getting favorable reviews despite this, as I reckon people enter the movie not overly excited about it.

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:
1 N The Boy and the Heron GKIDS $13,011,722   2,205   $5,901 $13,011,722 1

Did anyone notice GKIDS updated their "actual" BO again for Heron? It was 12.97m but now is 13.01m OW,

Lol it's weird, their dailies from Monday onwards are also still technically estimates and haven't been finalized yet. I guess they're leaving the door open to change how much limited run gross is incorporated? Unless it really takes them this long to figure out exactly how much it made.

43 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I think as a premise, Wonka feels like it’s part of the nostalgia franchising trend that people are getting tired of. Pretty impressive that it’s getting favorable reviews despite this, as I reckon people enter the movie not overly excited about it.

We also need to remember that critics =\= general audiences. There is little indication that general audiences are bothered at all by that aspect, and all we’ve heard from overseas where it’s already opened is glowing word of mouth, even in places like China that don’t necessarily always connect with these kinds of Hollywood films. 

Now that we have daily first week box office numbers through Wednesday for The Boy & The Heron, I thought it would be interesting to see how its daily performance has compared to the first week daily performance of Godzilla Minus One. I pulled together the following chart, including a "Winner" row at the bottom that lists the overall daily winner both in (1) overall daily earnings and (2) percentage change from the previous day. Each daily winner is highlighted in green and also listed in the bottom row. The Boy & The Heron took most wins at first, but over time, the daily edge shifted to Godzilla-1. Going into the mid-week stretch, their overall daily numbers remain quite close. The Boy & the Heron does seem to face some particularly strong headwinds going into its second weekend as mentioned in the final forward-looking "2nd Friday Changes" column.

FIRST WEEK US/CAN DOMESTIC DAILY PERFORMANCE COMPARISON:

GODZILLA MINUS ONE versus BOY & THE HERON

FIRST WEEK

Previews/EA Earnings

Friday ( "True Friday" #s)

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

2nd Friday Changes

Godzilla Minus 1 (2308 theaters; Primary “Also New” Competition: Renaissance, taking most premium formats)

$2,100,000

$2,626,373 (true Friday; +25.1% previews/EA)

$3,735,270

(+42.22% of true Friday)

$2,958,332 (-21% YD)

$1,225,396 (-59% YD)

$1,714,786 (+40% YD)

$1,361,343

(-21% YD)

$1,279,834 (-6%);

Changes-- maybe lost some premium theaters to B&H previews?

Added 232 theaters for second weekend (from 2308 to 2540)

The Boy & the Heron

(2205 theaters; Primary “Also New”  Competition: N/A for 1st 6 days)

$2,390,000

$3,212,603 (true Friday; +34.42% previews/EA)

$4,042,880 (+25.64% of true Friday)

$3,366,239 (-17% YD)

$1,195,371 (-64% YD)

$1,463,447

(+22% YD)

$1,308,260 M estimate

(-10.6% YD)

?;

Changes – losing many premium screens to Wonka

Maintaining total theaters; losing most premium format screens to new competitor Wonka

Daily Winners in Earnings & in Percentage Daily Change

Boy & Heron in overall earnings

Boy & Heron in daily earnings & percent increase

Boy & Heron in daily earnings; Godzilla in percent increase

Boy & Heron in daily earnings; Godzilla in lower percent decrease

Godzilla in daily earnings & lower percent decrease

Godzilla in daily earnings & higher percent increase

Godzilla in daily earnings; Boy & Heron in lower percent decrease

?

It's also interesting to look at how each film's 1st Wednesday compares to its 1st Monday (since Tuesdays are inflated, etc.)

Godzilla: 1st Wed v. 1st Mon. = +11.1% growth

Boy & Heron   1st Wed. v 1st Mon. = +9.44% growth

Godzilla has the slight edge growth there.

This is a first draft, but hopefully it does not read too clunky.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

BOTSAS success shows that Lionsgate made a huge mistake to split MJ in 2. I believe that it would've made near a billie if it stayed one movie cause hype for the series was so big. Even though it didn't have the main attraction - games - it was the conclusion so people would have shown up. Split took the wind out of its sails. 

I just recently rewatched the series, and boy are 3 and 4 a drag. Absolutely should have been one movie, about 2 hours 30-45 minutes. There was greatness in them, but stretched further than a Stretch Armstrong.

37 minutes ago, KGPatt2 said:

I just recently rewatched the series, and boy are 3 and 4 a drag. Absolutely should have been one movie, about 2 hours 30-45 minutes. There was greatness in them, but stretched further than a Stretch Armstrong.

Well said. Katniss capella was one of those great moments. 

6 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Up now. 955k, -20%

A bit strange that they release the number so late, but better late than never.

So again it has a -30% drop from last weeks Wednesday. Holding well so far and 6M should be the target for the weekend.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Didn't realize that winter break effects kick in this early; the week-to-week drops for Trolls and Wish are quite impressive, even if it means their Friday increases will probably be pitiful (especially with Wonka coming in).

Colleges are all done...so, even without most K-12 out, you have a large group of 18-22 year olds looking to hang out at something...

10 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

We also need to remember that critics =\= general audiences. There is little indication that general audiences are bothered at all by that aspect, and all we’ve heard from overseas where it’s already opened is glowing word of mouth, even in places like China that don’t necessarily always connect with these kinds of Hollywood films. 

While transcribing some 1950s box office lists, I came across a claim in "50 years of variety" that after 15 years audiences tended to treat prequels, reboots, etc. as "original" properties. It's been 18 years since Depp's film and no one's aggressively franchised the property in the meantime. 

It's just what a "correctly" timed reboot looks like.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce