Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

4 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

I wouldn't think so either, but man, those market cap and cash on hand numbers are crazy. Just hoping they keep seeing some value in theatrical distribution for the long haul.

yeah apple is unfathomably rich. But they still won't do this forever.

1 minute ago, elcaballero said:

Guess it just needed to be serviceable for people to show up, but the trailers didn't even make it look serviceable, imo. 

Genuinely up there with one of the worst ad campaigns ever. Even the second trailer, which actually advertised it as a comedy, had zero laughs whatsoever. Maybe it’s legging because of rock bottom expectations? That it wasn’t total garbage, which means that is good enough? It’s wild.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Guess it just needed to be serviceable for people to show up, but the trailers didn't even make it look serviceable, imo. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

Genuinely up there with one of the worst ad campaigns ever. Even the second trailer, which actually advertised it as a comedy, had zero laughs whatsoever. Maybe it’s legging because of rock bottom expectations? That it wasn’t total garbage, which means that is good enough? It’s wild.

Idk what you guys are talking about. I thought the trailers were fine. Made it look like a romcom from the 00s. That's not good, but it definitely didn't look like a horrible film.

I quite liked this holiday week. Cool numbers to follow (sad about The Color Purple) even if we didn't had early numbers like the last 2 years because those only show up when there is a mammoth performer in town.

Hopefully all of these movies hold well into January.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

lmao at this of all things becoming the big Xmas leggy sensation

It’s had an increase (granted some less than 10%) for now 5 days straight 

For a more direct comp than weekends with holiday date shenanigans, Showman was +62% Sat to Sat (and +72% Fri to Fri), while ABY was +109% Sat. Puss in Boots was also +72% Fri to Fri last year 

I actually enjoyed this holiday season vic office more than the previous 2 years, mostly because the wealth was “spread” across multiple movies and not just concentrated on one megahit.

We’ve seen that the market can sustain a 700M+ grosser, now we need to know that there can still be depth at the box office, which this holiday corridor has shown is still possible, even if the numbers themselves aren’t huge.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I actually enjoyed this holiday season vic office more than the previous 2 years, mostly because the wealth was “spread” across multiple movies and not just concentrated on one megahit.

We’ve seen that the market can sustain a 700M+ grosser, now we need to know that there can still be depth at the box office, which this holiday corridor has shown is still possible, even if the numbers themselves aren’t huge.

What's the chance studios start on production on some smaller films like Anyone But You and The Boys on the Boat right away to get them released by next year?