Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Glen Powell is the guy that Hollywood thought Chris Evans/Hemsworth/Pratt was. Praying he doesn't get sucked into the superhero vortex, since I feel like he has the it factor to be the first new leading man in... forever?

Pratt is already a success. In addition to his movies he also has popular streaming stuff like The Tomorrow War and The Terminal List. Hemsworth is probably the second most successful. Evans probably the least

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I did overestimate how much Wonka would do after opening weekend but still very pleased with these results. 

Wonka 2 is an obviously high profile tent pole for sure

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Pratt is already a success. In addition to his movies he also has popular streaming stuff like The Tomorrow War and The Terminal List. Hemsworth is probably the second most successful. Evans probably the least

Kind of shocked Evans made it so far considering he’s good at neither comedic or dramatic work and doesn’t have a lot of charisma either. I guess he’s OK at being a human-sized GI JOE, much like Cavill. Weird age of leading men where a majority of them are just white dudes who look like muscle beach rejects and possess no other discernible skills lol

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Anyway to let BOM know they missed a 0 for Godzilla Minus One? lol

I was shocked for a moment to see that 90% collapse. I thought Toho just decided to finish the run (Not impossible given how the UK release plan was) 

This hold should lock in 50m 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

Should be on track for a sub-20% drop this weekend, looks like WOM is really starting to kick in. $35M+ final total?

Finally some sign of strong WOM. The movie has been following Downsizing's up and down since the opening through the holiday. This should be where both movies start to diverge. If IC managed to increase higher on Sat, sub-10% 3rd weekend drop is possible. 30m is safe but I am hoping 35m if A24 can keep the theaters longer.  

TCP numbers are super disappointing after getting good reviews and positive reception. It’s like the WOM was quarantined.

59 minutes ago, TMP said:

Kind of shocked Evans made it so far considering he’s good at neither comedic or dramatic work and doesn’t have a lot of charisma either. I guess he’s OK at being a human-sized GI JOE, much like Cavill. Weird age of leading men where a majority of them are just white dudes who look like muscle beach rejects and possess no other discernible skills lol

The superhero genre was truly a renaissance for hot white guys who were ”good enough”

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Yeah I get that social media doesn't like Pratt but the guy is an undisputed success. Hit movies, hit streaming. 

TCP's PTA is absolutely terrible. I'm looking at The Numbers site and it's making only $404 on average while other movies in over 3K theaters like TCP still have their PTA in over 1K (Wonka, Night Swim, ABY) or twice as much as TCP (Aquaman 2). Catastrophic.

4 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

TCP numbers are super disappointing after getting good reviews and positive reception. It’s like the WOM was quarantined.

The superhero genre was truly a renaissance for hot white guys who were ”good enough”

Word of mouth from who to who though?  Its not a film that is crossing diversity barriers and its not getting young people in. So its hard to see how good word of mouth can help if its stuck in its demo. 

The Color Purple not even coming close to the $94M total of the original (not even including inflation) nearly 40 years ago is the biggest bummer of all, even more so than its disappointing clear lack of crossover appeal.

Good luck to the Wicked movies breaking the recent Broadway adaptation curse.

22 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Word of mouth from who to who though?  Its not a film that is crossing diversity barriers and its not getting young people in. So its hard to see how good word of mouth can help if its stuck in its demo. 

It's weird, though...you have subscriber bases at the big 3 where 2 of them get unlimited movies, so normally you get TCP's apparent WOM for a generic blockbuster musical and you get $40-60M DOM more gratis with no work over a holiday period, b/c all the subscribers will eventually wonder in "for free" to catch the new hit...but this movie just seems like it's "one gender/age/demo" only and it REPELS everyone else...

I know someone said it's acting like a gimmick horror...but instead, I'd say it's acting as insular as a niche religious conservative film or a Japanese anime or an Indian Bollywood film - 100% WOM in the tiny group that watches them, but everyone else is like "hell no, you do you, and I'll pass"...

If it wasn't MLK weekend next weekend, I think this would be the big wide drop for the new entries...as is, I expect the following weekend will be...

Edit to Add: Boy, I missed on this one.  I haven't missed like this in awhile, but this is what happens when you predict something way out of your lane:)...note to self - go back to animated and supers and family films:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Not much different I guess from Stallone and Schwarzenegger being leading men/draws for a while. Although neither of them are anywhere close to as attractive as Evans and Cavill. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Kerry Condon going from The Banshees of Inisherin (Oscar nomination + winning at BAFTA) to Night Swim within the span of a year feels like one of more obvious examples in a while of the notion that there really are only so many projects and parts in this industry. 

A tale as old as time. I know she didn’t win, but it’s very common for a winner to have a turkey next. 

On Night Swim: $15m budget and $5.2m first day: blumhouse and universal keep winning, despite the quality. 

This just turned into an all around weird shake out for the holiday stuff lmao… ABY nearly surging ahead of all holdovers post-holiday and possibly having a TGS run, Aquabro not collapsing after the new year and actually holding dare I say well, TCP turning into the most frontloaded movie of all time, Wonka and Migration just kinda there…

Edit: nvm about Godzilla, BOM starting the new year like they would 

Edited by MovieMan89

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Not much different I guess from Stallone and Schwarzenegger being leading men/draws for a while. Although neither of them are anywhere close to as attractive as Evans and Cavill. 

Beyond rampant PED abuse, I’m not sure what else they have in common. Stallone is a great actor with the right material (his big break won Best Picture lol), and Schwarzenegger’s professional high will always be as one of the most influential men in body-building first & foremost; the fact that he starred in a handful of now-classic blockbusters is just another feather to his cap (like the time he was governor lol). Just feels weird to have so many “leading men” without any discernible charisma, which is why Powell feels like such a breath of fresh air

Edited by TMP
  • Heart 1
  • Knock It Off 1

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I'm curious if the people complaining about action leads were alive during the 80s & 90s... or is it just another excuse to complain about superhero movies?

• Like 2