Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

39 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

In an alternate universe where animation is respected in the west and Heron enjoyed the same awards season status and accolades as Parasite got, it could probably challenge for 100 DOM with a major awards expansion and BP win 

Well, we're not in that universe

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It can’t be bought or planned. This “skipping after the film” wasn’t planted by Sony, it just happens, is viral then takes off. 

What's this "skipping after the film" thing? I don't use tiktok and I haven't seen anyone on twitter reference it like Barbenheimer or the Minions suit thing

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Did you ever see his 20,000 leagues anime? Aquaman 2 motivated me to finally start reading Verne, so watching Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water and seeing Miyazaki’s take on Nemo’s been so much fun haha

Lol TIL Miyazaki and Anno collaborated on something

Also it wasn't just Korea and North America that drove Parasite to success, if you take those two territories out it still made $135 mil everywhere else, which is about as much as Heron has made so far total. Parasite also did much better nominally in its home country than Heron did even though it has less than half the population

Edited by AniNate

well it's not a competition but in my mind yes Parasite's success was more impressive than Boy Heron's. Prior to Parasite the highest grossing Korean film in the US was $2mil. and it's not like the hits have been rolling in since then either. except on Netflix where people can watch this stuff dubbed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Can we please keep Reddit “analyses” on Reddit please? It’s like an infection.

I upvoted this, kind stranger. 

Edited - Thanks for the gold!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol TIL Miyazaki and Anno collaborated on something

Maybe i’ll finally start my neon genesis watch after this

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What's this "skipping after the film" thing? I don't use tiktok and I haven't seen anyone on twitter reference it like Barbenheimer or the Minions suit thing

I'm assuming this is a reference to something that happens in the movie.

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Did you ever see his 20,000 leagues anime? Aquaman 2 motivated me to finally start reading Verne, so watching Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water and seeing Miyazaki’s take on Nemo’s been so much fun haha

I haven’t… I was not even aware of it! I still need to see pre-Ghibli Miyazaki among his films as well (Lupin and Conan)

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

8 hours ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

I'm assuming this is a reference to something that happens in the movie.

It’s actually not from the film, there’s no skipping, just that song. 

TikTok/Tweens and teens making up their own viral thing to do I guess. But it’s working. I don’t use TikTok either, but Sydney Sweeney keeps sharing the clips on instagram. 

• Like 1

Up 100k from estimate. With its GG win, it probably will go closer to 45m. If you truly understand the movie, it is not just about death and grief, it is about our movie industry nowadays. Hope people can find the meaning of the movie in a illogical storytelling style