Grand Cine

MLK Weekend Thread | 3-Day/4-Day Estimates: Mean Girls 28/32, Beekeeper 16.8/19.2, Wonka 8.4/10.9, Migration 6.2/8.3, Anyone 6.9/8.2

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

In The Color Purple's case, the cap wasn't just  due to this film being a black targeted film. The demographics show people under 25 seems to just avoid this movie (male audience was pretty small too but that was always expected).

Instead, the demographics for Mean Girls seems to have more variety. The demographics shows that the bigger audience are women under 25 (honestly, it surprised me so many young people were interested). If the legs are bad, it would likely be due to a poor reception.

Young women who were barely alive (or weren't even born yet) in 2004 seems exactly who the primary target audience for this is honestly. Hence why its original destination was streaming until a few months ago (when the strikes made Q1 of theatrical 2024 so barren that they took advantage of an opening).

14 hours ago, ban1o said:

The discourse about “hiding it’s a musical” makes me think about the THG: BOSS. Although I wouldn’t go as far as calling it a musical, Rachel Ziegler’s character sang like 8 songs. A lot of non book readers didn’t know there would be singing and I did see some tiktoks that thought the singingwas cringe. But overall people still seemed to like the movie and  it had good legs. 

This movie has a similar target audience, so i guess I just don’t get why not knowing a movie is a musical would make people mad or affect audience reaction and WOM. 

Its the type of musical it is. Lucy Gray doesn't 'randomly' burst into song for no reason. She sings at understandable times. There is less music in that film than there should be. Snow should have sang Gem of Panem. One of the things of the book is that they are BOTH Songbirds but he can only sing the Capitol's tune on command like the Jabberjays in the cage Gaul has.

Wonka passes because its meant to be eccentric. Mean Girls doesn't because we've seen Mean Girls before and it doesn't need 'here are my feelings' songs.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

PTA for the day is $3,488, down only a bit from last Friday's $3,888 PTA. Guess waiting for hype to build is working somewhat; should be over $1M by Monday.

After PGA noms, this is looking like a likely Best Picture nomination (as well as a few others). Could we see an old school Oscar bump? Feels like a while we’ve had this many movies (this, Poor Things, even others like American Fiction and All of Us Strangers) waiting for the Oscar nominations to expand 

40 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

-48% from last Friday after losing 1/3 of its theaters. with the holiday should be closer to -40% drop for the weekend?

If IC followed Priscilla, this should end in the range of 32-34m. The consolation prize for getting ignored by award season. On the other hand, ZOI holds very good in its limited run. A24 should have no problem getting two best picture nominees slot for the first time.

• Like 1

That is pitiful for Soul lol. A $92 PTA. 

Big drop for Night Swim too. 

Solid for Mean Girls. Beekeeper too, which is doing much better than Plane did last year with the same ticket deals. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob Train said:

BVS is still the only $100m+ opener to not hit a 2x multiplier. Seems a bit silly to compare a movie that opened to $167m to one opening around $30m.

In the end it still made $875M.   How many movies will cross that mark over the next 3 years? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Oof. What was the last release in over 1,000 theaters to start this low? Hopefully it multiplies well...

Will keep an eye open on how Turning Red and Luca do compared to this one. Have a feeling TR is gonna perform the best.

30 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Oof. What was the last release in over 1,000 theaters to start this low? Hopefully it multiplies well...

This is not good but it's consistent with the ticket sales I've been able to track. That is, almost no one bought tickets.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Why would people pay to watch a kids movie which is free on streaming?

Going to a kids movie is a lot of work, get the family ready to be there in time, find parking, get enough concessions for everyone, pay for 3-5 tickets. Versus just pressing play on Disney+

• Like 4