Eric Burnett

Weekend Thread | Argylle 1.7 Previews

Just dreadful.

I feel sorry for Apple. They tried to give this, Napoleon and KOTFM a theatrical release, but results are dire. I'm afraid these movies flopping so badly will discourage them for giving theatrical a chance in the future. And that's the real tragedy!

36 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

The audience does not care who the real Agent Argylle is. 

Everyone already knows. In fact, it was out in the open for years, as early as from back when the movie was first announced. In the social media age, word spreads faster than light. And with their friends digging the old announcement up and posting on Twitter and TikTok about it, why should people fork the money to see a movie that can't stand on its own without that surprise factor?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Just dreadful.

I feel sorry for Apple. They tried to give this, Napoleon and KOTFM a theatrical release, but results are dire. I'm afraid these movies flopping so badly will discourage them for giving theatrical a chance in the future. And that's the real tragedy!

lel they can afford flops. their revenue isn't movies and streaming, that's just vanity like Bezos. But billions come from elsewhere.

Edited by Valonqar

34 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I don't believe for a second it's anywhere near that bad. But is there anything it did so outrageous in a bad way it warrants such reaction? From a trailer it looks like a crowdpleasing spy action comedy with lots of CGI and star cast, and I think I've seen some complaints about post-credit scene, but that's about it, it doesn't sound like something people would outright reject, audiences like "funny" CGI slop.

As someone who thinks it is indeed anywhere near that bad, here's some spoiler-free reasoning:

The dialogue is terrible. Starting with the "Argylle" book-within-the-movie, then the actual espionage. It's absolutely unimaginative at best, intellectually insulting at worst. The screenwriter on this has 4 screenwriting credits measured on RT (including Argylle). They're all between 8%-37%. I would be able to overlook the nonsensical plot twists if at least there was good banter, but this "crowdpleasing spy action comedy" lacks any of that (I'll give props where due, Catherine O'Hara has some great lines, but that's more because of her delivery)

What's the point of an all-star cast if they lack chemistry? An unfortunate side effect of this film's central mystery, globetrotting nature, and frequent plot twists is that the actors can't really latch onto their characters, or how their character relates to any other individual in this film. With a constantly shifting story, there's no consistent characterizations, and thus the all-star talent can't really dive into their parts fully. Squandered talent.

The action? I'm a Matthew Vaughn fan, but he's been neutered here by bad CGI and the PG-13 rating. When the action on display should clearly result in blood splatter throughout, but none to be seen, it takes me out. And there are some genuinely creative action scenes here, they just lack the impact they would have if Vaughn could be fully Vaughn. And the CGI is bad at times. Not "The Flash" bad, but still jarring.

Finally, the editing. It's not terrible, but there's a central conceit to the editing that I thought was very poorly implemented. Can't say more but you will know what I'm talking about if you see the film.

28 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Everyone already knows. In fact, it was out in the open for years, as early as from back when the movie was first announced. In the social media age, word spreads faster than light. And with their friends digging the old announcement up and posting on Twitter and TikTok about it, why should people fork the money to see a movie that can't stand on its own without that surprise factor?

Yeah I saw that. Lmao discussing film strikes again.

It's February @Eric Argylle @WrathOfHan

13x:

Mean Girls: Five Nights at Freddy’s, The Marvels Dolby, Priscilla, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Trolls Band Together, Saltburn, Wish Dolby, Poor Things, The Iron Claw, The Boy and the Heron Round 2, The Book of Clarence, All of Us Strangers

11x:

Argylle: The Royal Hotel, Five Nights at Freddy’s, Anatomy of a Fall, Priscilla, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Godzilla Minus One, Napoleon, All of Us Strangers, Oppenheimer Round 5 IMAX, The Color Purple, The Zone of Interest

Bob Marley: One Love: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, Meg 2: The Trench Dolby, Shortcomings, Strays, The Nun II Dolby, Stop Making Sense IMAX, Anatomy of a Fall, Napoleon, The Color Purple, I.S.S., The Zone of Interest

9x:

Soul: Frozen II Dolby, Onward Dolby, The Empire Strikes Back, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Hocus Pocus, Michael Jordan to the MAX IMAX, Coco Round 7, Wonka, Migration

Dune: Part Two: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Dolby, Oppenheimer IMAX 15/70mm, Meg 2: The Trench Dolby, Oppenheimer Round 3 IMAX, The Nun II Dolby, Batman Begins, Wonka, Oppenheimer Round 5 IMAX, The Color Purple

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: The Marvels Dolby, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Godzilla Minus One, Poor Things, The Iron Claw, Napoleon, All of Us Strangers, I.S.S.

7x:

Turning Red: The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, Encanto Dolby Atmos, West Side Story Dolby Round 0, Sing 2 Dolby, Wonka, Migration

Inside Out 2: Trolls Band Together, Wish Dolby, The Boy and the Heron Round 2, Wonka, Migration, Soul Round 2, The Color Purple

6x:

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire: The Marvels Dolby, The Boy and the Heron Round 2, Wonka, The Book of Clarence, Napoleon, I.S.S.

5x:

Arthur the King: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, The Iron Claw, The Boy and the Heron Round 2, Napoleon, I.S.S.

4x:

White Bird: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Dolby, Elemental 3D, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby

Drive-Away Dolls: Asteroid City, Asteroid City Round 2, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Dolby, Talk to Me

The Beekeeper: Five Nights at Freddy’s, American Fiction Round 2, Saltburn, Ferrari Dolby

The Garfield Movie: Trolls Band Together, Wish Dolby, Migration, Soul Round 2

Kung Fu Panda 4: The Boy and the Heron Round 2, Wonka, Migration, Soul Round 2

Problemista: You Hurt My Feelings, Past Lives, Talk to Me, The Zone of Interest

Imaginary: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Godzilla Minus One, Poor Things, Out of Darkness

3x: 

Luca: Raya and the Last Dragon Dolby, Wonka, Migration
The Fall Guy: The Marvels Dolby, The Iron Claw, Oppenheimer Round 5 IMAX
If: Wonka, Migration, Soul Round 2
Lisa Frankenstein: Five Nights at Freddy’s, Priscilla, Out of Darkness

2x:

Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Adhira: RRR, RRR Round 2
Challengers: No Hard Feelings, Barbie
ISS: Godzilla Minus One, Ferrari Dolby
The Book of Clarence: The Iron Claw, All of Us Strangers
The Jungle Bunch: Operation Meltdown: Migration, Soul Round 2
Godzilla x Kong: A New Empire: Wonka, The Color Purple
The American Society of Magical Negroes: The Book of Clarence, The Color Purple
Civil War: The Iron Claw, The Zone of Interest
Madame Web: The Book of Clarence, The Zone of Interest
Love Lies Bleeding: The Iron Claw, Out of Darkness
The First Omen: All of Us Strangers, Out of Darkness

1x:

MaXXXine: Pearl
Ordinary Angels: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret
Elio: Elemental 3D
Cult Killer: Napoleon
The Monk and the Gun: Oppenheimer Round 5 IMAX
Double Down South: Oppenheimer Round 5 IMAX
Queen Rock Montreal: Oppenheimer Round 5 IMAX
Unsung Hero: The Color Purple
Land of Bad: I.S.S.
Abigail: I.S.S.
One Life: I.S.S.
Out of Darkness: I.S.S.
Housekeeping for Beginners: The Zone of Interest
The Peasants: The Zone of Interest
Sasquatch Sunset: Out of Darkness

Edited by Blankments

1 hour ago, JonathanMB said:

TBF according to Box office Mojo the season 3 finale was only 100 minutes long, while Eps 1-3 were 207 minutes long. The runtime will probably push a lot of business to the weekend.

Yes, granted. Each theater can however only do half as many showings per day. The long runtime also means that it would be daunting for Chosen's demographic to hit any showing that begins after 8 pm (particularly with kids in the mix). I had been fairly bullish on this Chosen Fathom event early on, and I had seen quite a lot of brisk sales in screenings near me. As theaters locked weekend schedules, though, I also noticed how a good number of theaters are limiting showings to 2 times per day.  (Not all, of course.)  I took a peek on a Chosen subreddit, and quite a number of people were commenting on how daunting the prospect of sitting through almost 3.5 hours of it at once was.

I just checked the 5 closest theaters to me for Chosen weekend showtimes. #1 (a CMX) is not showing Chosen at all. #2 (a Regal) is showing it 2 times per day on each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. #3 (an AMC) is also showing it 2 times per day on each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. #4 (a Studio Movie Grill) is showing it 4 times each on Friday and Saturday then 3 times on Sunday. #5 (another Regal) showing it 2 times per day on each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 

I then checked the largest area 24 plex (an AMC) that often has the most showings and generally gets good attendance across the board for all different types of films. For today, Chosen has 4 showings there: the 3 pm showing that has sold 32 out of 52 seats; 4 pm showing that has sold 31 out of 100+ (large auditorium); 7:30 pm showing that has sold 35 out of 52 seats; and 8:30 pm showing that has zero pre-sales in the large auditorium. (For context about how many auditoriums get allocated to movies and how many tickets this cinema tends to pre sell, Argylle has 9 screenings there today, and tonight's 6:30 pm Dolby showing of Argylle there has already sold 90 seats.)

Tomorrow Chosen has 5 Saturday showings there. 12 pm has 4 tickets sold; 3 pm has sold 29 out of 52; 4:30 pm has sold 16 in a large 100+ seat auditorium; 7:30 pm has sold 24 out of 52; and 9 pm has 0 tickets sold. (Again, for context, Argylle has 12 Saturday screenings, and Argylle has sold 41 seats for the Saturday 6:30 pm Dolby showing at this theater.)

On Sunday, Chosen is down to 4 showings at this theater: 11:30 am (church-time) - 5 sold; 3 pm - 37 sold of 52; 4 pm - 8 sold out of 101; 7:30 pm - 14 sold out of 52.  (For comparison, Argylle has 13 Sunday showings. The 6:30 pm Dolby of Argylle has sold 6 tickets.)

Of course, Chosen 4 Eps 1-3 is running for 2 full weeks, so Chosen fans do have a bit of time to go catch this in an ideal window (early evening weekdays, and mid-afternoon to early evening on weekends, it seems) before Eps 4-6 replaces it in theaters. 

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler

51 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Just dreadful.

or they could just tap out of the movie business altogether. Though it barely makes a difference to them, Apple is absurdly rich.

Just cause I am bored and February looks so bad for the box office, some predictions for the movies in March (OW/DOM): 

Dune: Part II - $78m/ $225m

Kung Fu Panda 4 - $43m / $146m

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire - $35m / $92m

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire - $51m / $110m

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

As someone who thinks it is indeed anywhere near that bad, here's some spoiler-free reasoning:

The dialogue is terrible. Starting with the "Argylle" book-within-the-movie, then the actual espionage. It's absolutely unimaginative at best, intellectually insulting at worst. The screenwriter on this has 4 screenwriting credits measured on RT (including Argylle). They're all between 8%-37%. I would be able to overlook the nonsensical plot twists if at least there was good banter, but this "crowdpleasing spy action comedy" lacks any of that (I'll give props where due, Catherine O'Hara has some great lines, but that's more because of her delivery)

What's the point of an all-star cast if they lack chemistry? An unfortunate side effect of this film's central mystery, globetrotting nature, and frequent plot twists is that the actors can't really latch onto their characters, or how their character relates to any other individual in this film. With a constantly shifting story, there's no consistent characterizations, and thus the all-star talent can't really dive into their parts fully. Squandered talent.

The action? I'm a Matthew Vaughn fan, but he's been neutered here by bad CGI and the PG-13 rating. When the action on display should clearly result in blood splatter throughout, but none to be seen, it takes me out. And there are some genuinely creative action scenes here, they just lack the impact they would have if Vaughn could be fully Vaughn. And the CGI is bad at times. Not "The Flash" bad, but still jarring.

Finally, the editing. It's not terrible, but there's a central conceit to the editing that I thought was very poorly implemented. Can't say more but you will know what I'm talking about if you see the film.

Thanks for your take on it, that's a shame if it's bad.

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Just dreadful.

Isnt this just bonus money for Apple instead of throwing it straight on streaming? Give the movies a bit more prestige and awareness with box office not being a huge concern?

Are they spending the money on marketing or is the distributor?

Saw American Fiction and really liked it. Super funny and witty. This and Poor Things really surprised me just how funny they were.

I've really enjoyed all the best film noms I've watched so far.

Oppenheimer 10/10

Poor Things 9/10

Killers of The Flower Moon 9/10

American Fiction 8/10

The Holdovers 8/10

Hoping to watch Barbie, Maestro and Past lives this week.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Isnt this just bonus money for Apple instead of throwing it straight on streaming? Give the movies a bit more prestige and awareness with box office not being a huge concern?

Are they spending the money on marketing or is the distributor?

To be fair, Argylle doesn't seem to give Apple any kind of prestige. So, this movie would be a failure in that aspect too.

• Like 3