filmlover

The 96th Academy Awards Live Feed Thread | Oppy wins it all, but Ryan Gosling is still kenough

Oppenheimer one of the few films that would win every single year (though it would be weird if it won pre-1945). Past dominant winners like Dances With Wolves, Lawrence of Arabia and Gone With The Wind too problematic for modern sensibilities. Lord of the Rings and Silence of the Lambs and any musical too genre for certain eras. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest swept up but might not be "important" enough to win all the time. Even Titanic and Forrest Gump might get picked apart for being too goofy these days, though they did give it to Coda and EEAAO. Godfather I and II, Amadeus, Casablanca, Oppenheimer off top of my head that check every box in every era. May have forgotten something but point is Oppenheimer up there with most dominant contenders ever.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oppenheimer one of the few films that would win every single year (though it would be weird if it won pre-1945). Past dominant winners like Dances With Wolves, Lawrence of Arabia and Gone With The Wind too problematic for modern sensibilities. Lord of the Rings and Silence of the Lambs and any musical too genre for certain eras. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest swept up but might not be "important" enough to win all the time. Even Titanic and Forrest Gump might get picked apart for being too goofy these days, though they did give it to Coda and EEAAO. Godfather I and II, Amadeus, Casablanca, Oppenheimer off top of my head that check every box in every era. May have forgotten something but point is Oppenheimer up there with most dominant contenders ever.

Oppenheimer is the classic mass appeal prestige historical Oscar baity film, that it delivered entirely on its potential makes it an easy slam dunk for sure.

Oppenheimer winning is full circle after the academy went to 10 Best Picture nominees after The Dark Knight missed. This means we can finally go back down to five best picture nominees I think?

• Like 1

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Fair to say that Lilly Gladstone not winning will be the big controversy of the night. 

Eh, there was always a 50/50 chance she would take it because she was snubbed completely at BAFTA. Plus Killers had just lost all of its momentum a while back. She would've been its saving grace from a complete shutout that was expected long before the ceremony.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

NGL for a second I really thought we were gonna have another Best Picture announcement screw-up. :lol:

Thank goodness for Emma's sake it didn't otherwise speculation of her being an Oscar Witch would've literally commenced.

Yeah it did not help that Al Pacino was like what Republicans wanted Biden to be like the other night. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

GUYS BRADLEY COOPER IS ON ABBOTT ELEMETARY HOLY SHIT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm watching too.

I wonder what he will do next now that his Oscar losing tally is up to the double digits. Maybe go for a baity project from another prestigious filmmaker since his own projects aren't bringing home the gold.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Fair to say that Lilly Gladstone not winning will be the big controversy of the night. 

I don't think it will be particularly controversial - Lily didn't sweep the precursors and so the win for Emma Stone isn't that surprising (and a win for Gladstone was not considered "inevitable" by any means).

While most predicted Gladstone to win after the SAG awards, Emma Stone had won Actress at BAFTA, Critics Choice and Globe, which ensured she was still very much in the conversation. Many still considered it up in the air come Oscar night.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2020/02/06/oscars-what-should-have-won-best-picture/?_pml=1

Some spicy takes. I actually agree with Chinatown over Godfather II at the start. Godfather II obviously amazing but Chinatown is a perfect movie in every way outside of the "Personal Life" section of the director's Wikipedia. Godfather I is better than II and Chinatown is my philistine opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2020/02/06/oscars-what-should-have-won-best-picture/?_pml=1

Some spicy takes. I actually agree with Chinatown over Godfather II at the start. Godfather II obviously amazing but Chinatown is a perfect movie in every way outside of the "Personal Life" section of the director's Wikipedia. Godfather I is better than II and Chinatown is my philistine opinion.

The Conversation over both of them. my fav coppola.

• Like 1

I don't know why people are arguing about a potential "Gladstone controversy" through the eyes of people like us. The general audience, the same audience who didn't know what Everything Everywhere All At Once was until the Oscars, will be very shocked when they watch Poor Things.