Grand Cine

3/08-3/10 Weekend Estimates : KFP 4 : 58,3M , Dune 2 : 46,3M , Imaginary : 10M , Caprini : 7,6M

Just got out from Imaginary.

Jeff Wadlow has the distinction of making what I consider the worst 2 films I've seen in theatre in the last 20 years with Truth or Dare and Fantasy Island.

So my expectations were at that level. I walked away thinking he had made huge leaps and bounds as a filmmaker with this movie. Unfortunately leaps and bounds for him is still bad. But this was more generic and forgettable bad than how did this ever get made bad.

It even had a story beat and a couple scares that genuinely surprised me.

Still a hard avoid recommendation in theatre but I could see people checking it out on streaming and walking away thinking "well that wasn't the worst film I've ever seen."

3/10

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

Benjamin Renner's much better movies were still made for a fraction of that budget. I wouldn't mind a pivot to more simplified animation styles if it means he's allowed more creative freedom to do an idea of his own that's not so generic.

I think IF represents another test for original family films, maybe moreso than Migration since it really is an organic idea developed and shepherded by its writer/director. I just hope it's a lot better than the trailer is letting on.

I don’t think studios would put any stock in original animation because IF did well unfortunately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Jeff Wadlow has the distinction of making what I consider the worst 2 films I've seen in theatre in the last 20 years with Truth or Dare and Fantasy Island.

Wadlow’s Kick-Ass 2 is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen, so it’s pretty impressive so see him somehow top himself (bottom himself?) this consistently

12 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

This Kung Fu Panda performance is making me more certain than ever that the eventual Shrek 5 is going to have an historic launch

Ive been calling a 200M+ OW for that one for years. It just has to be good, not even amazing like Puss in Boots 2, just really solid movie. And then it will blast off and theaters will become swamps across the world.

Anyone above the age of 20 is crazy nostalgic about Shrek, im just certain of that. It is the biggest nostalgia goldmine that Hollywood hasnt used so far (Puss doesnt really count, thats its own spin off series).

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Wonder how much higher the actuals will go up for the bigger movies? 👩🏻‍💼

I think for kung fu panda 4 atleast the one I was looking at cinemas for 

I think it’s gonna be sizeable bigger than Friday 🐼

Is it me or did the-numbers adjust the Dune2 estimates?

It's now

I seem to remember it initially was

But my memory might be playing tricks on me

Edited by Daxtreme

3 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Wonder how much higher the actuals will go up for the bigger movies? 👩🏻‍💼

Not much

KFP4: 58.3 (+100K)

Dune: 12.2M (-100k) + 19.6M (-200K) + 14.4M (+500K) = 46.2M (-44% OW)

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Hoping KFP4 hits $60M and Dune hits $48M.

KFP4: 58.3 (+100K)

Dune: 12.2M (-100k) + 19.6M (-200K) + 14.4M (+500K) = 46.2M (-44% OW)

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Surely they’ll be fast tracking an Anyone But You 2? 

No. Sequels to successful rom-coms are pretty rare (and I quite literally cannot think of one atm) and it should stay that way.

Edited by lorddemaxus

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They should just do another modern day shakespeare riff with the same cast. Glen Powell IS… King Lear

39 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They should just make another rom com. We don’t need a sequel to this which will likely cost more and make less. (Going by history)

Edited by babz06

7 minutes ago, babz06 said:

They should just make another rom com. We don’t need a sequel to this which will likely cost more and make less. (Going by history)

Exactly, people should already know they just need to repeat Sydney and Glen as the main couple again and this will perfectly work like a sequel. Sequels never fit totally for romcoms