MightyDargon

Weekend 4/19-21: ABIGAIL 1 mil previews

Between M3gan, Exorcist and Abigail, I have to wonder why Universal are so invested in movies where little girls kill people.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

FRIDAY MIDDAY: Mish mosh at the box office with A24’s weekend two of Civil War at $3.5M today/$11M+ and Universal’s Radio Silence R-rated vampire pic, Abigail with $4M today (that includes $1M previews)/$11M vying for No. 1. 

Lionsgate’s Guy Ritchie WWII period action pic, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, is eyeing $3.9M-$4.3M Friday (including $1.45M previews) and $9M-$11M at 2,845 theaters, but many see the movie, which is 92% with Rotten Tomatoes’ audiences, in third place. 

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-abigail-civil-war-ministry-of-ungentlemanly-warfare-1235890123/

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 2

I don't see word of mouth helping Abigail. Good first 30 and then it's a numbing Netflix movie, a gimmick stretched for an additional 90 minutes. I'm sure the Cinescore will be fine, in the B range, but this won't pop theatrically. 

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I don't see word of mouth helping Abigail. Good first 30 and then it's a numbing Netflix movie, a gimmick stretched for an additional 90 minutes. I'm sure the Cinescore will be fine, in the B range, but this won't pop theatrically. 

That’s good you still went to see it despite riding the film for a few weeks and saying “this looks BAD”. I actually thought the opposite of you, dragged 30mins then it picked up. But overall I was pretty let down. 3/5.

9 minutes ago, Flopped said:

FRIDAY MIDDAY: Mish mosh at the box office with A24’s weekend two of Civil War at $3.5M today/$11M+ and Universal’s Radio Silence R-rated vampire pic, Abigail with $4M today (that includes $1M previews)/$11M vying for No. 1. 

Lionsgate’s Guy Ritchie WWII period action pic, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, is eyeing $3.9M-$4.3M Friday (including $1.45M previews) and $9M-$11M at 2,845 theaters, but many see the movie, which is 92% with Rotten Tomatoes’ audiences, in third place. 

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-abigail-civil-war-ministry-of-ungentlemanly-warfare-1235890123/

Ungentlemanly Warfare cost $60m before P&A. Sensible decision to send it straight to streaming internationally. 

• Like 1

Hoped it would hold better but given... everything Civil War could've had a worse fate than a 50% drop from the last true weekend. Pretty much looking like another Annihilation performance.

Tashi Duncan gonna make us all cream our pants next week. She can't come fast enough to save us from this dreadful box office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2

April's box office is awful.  Which was expected.  All the movies released this month have good to great reviews but your average joe doesnt care.  They'll wait for these movies on Netflix or whatever streaming service. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Between M3gan, Exorcist and Abigail, I have to wonder why Universal are so invested in movies where little girls kill people.

On that note, its also a trope of ghost/haunted house horror movies that usually little girls get posessed and do the spooky things/kill people.

Ive read somewhere that one explanation for this trope is that little girls represent basically the most innocent form of human beings as a whole and twisting that perception into something murderous like little killer girls leads to people finding the murders more disturbing than when it would have been done by a grown woman or man for example. I dunno how much sense this makes honestly, but ive always found this theory interesting.

I think Abigail looks like a blast, but honestly, I still think this was the kind of horror movie that needed an actual "name" actor to headline it in order to give it a profile boost because it didn't have much going for it from a marketing perspective beyond the "ballerina vampire child attacks kidnappers" concept. People like Barrera or Stevens (nobody is seeing Godzilla x Kong for him) were never going to move the needle much.

As such it's looking like it's going to end up making similar numbers to what Radio Silence's previous non-Scream entry (2019's Ready or Not) did.

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think Abigail looks like a blast, but honestly, I still think this was the kind of horror movie that needed an actual "name" actor to headline it in order to give it a profile boost because it didn't have much going for it from a marketing perspective beyond the "ballerina vampire child attacks kidnappers" concept. People like Barrera or Stevens (nobody is seeing Godzilla x Kong for him) were never going to move the needle much.

As such it's looking like it's going to end up making similar numbers to what Radio Silence's previous non-Scream entry (2019's Ready or Not) did.

Horror films don’t really need ‘name’ actors. The GA go for the scares and thrills.  The child vampire was the draw here, it just wasn’t a very big draw for whatever reason. 

Edited by babz06

11 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Horror films don’t really need ‘name’ actors. The GA go for the scares and thrills.  The child vampire was the draw here, it just wasn’t a very big draw for whatever reason. 

Depends on the type of horror movie though (although plenty of the starrier ones tend to also fall into the "old school thriller" gray area).

Feel like the decision to make the vampire girl a ballerina made it look like a wannabe M3GAN to some heh.

If Ministry does over 10 million this weekend , after it feels like Lions gate dumped it like every non Hunger Games and John Wick movie they have released lately, feels like a small victory. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Ungentlemanly Warfare cost $60m before P&A. Sensible decision to send it straight to streaming internationally. 

Guy Ritchie films do well in Europe IIRC. They do best in Russia but guess that’s not happening.

• Like 1