kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

2 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

The Fall Guy is based on an old TV series and Tarot is based on a book.

Applying substances over form principle, Fall Guy is more original than "IP". 99% of the people went to see the movie don't know that tv series exists and the marketing made almost zero reference to that tv series. Enough to call Fall Guy a original movie rather than a IP. 

• Like 4

I'm surprised they even bought the rights to the book Horrorscope as the movie and book are totally different. I haven't seen Tarot but the book was about a group of high school students who are being picked off one by one by a killer using their hororscope in the school paper as ways to despatch them. The deaths are very gruesome and intense. The movie seems like it took nothing from the book, they even changed the title. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Applying substances over form principle, Fall Guy is more original than "IP". 99% of the people went to see the movie don't know that tv series exists and the marketing made almost zero reference to that tv series. Enough to call Fall Guy a original movie rather than a IP. 

That affects awareness & possible receptivity but ignorance of the existing IP doesn't make it original. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I'm surprised they even bought the rights to the book Horrorscope as the movie and book are totally different. I haven't seen Tarot but the book was about a group of high school students who are being picked off one by one by a killer using their hororscope in the school paper as ways to despatch them. The deaths are very gruesome and intense. The movie seems like it took nothing from the book, they even changed the title. 

That sounds a lot better than the movie.

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

The Fall Guy is based on an old TV series and Tarot is based on a book.

"It's an Original movie because I've never heard of it" 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It's the new normal for unknown IPs until it isn't. Might be another "exception" to that rule in as soon as two weeks

What is the movie you have expectatoves?

26 minutes ago, AniNate said:

IF tracking at $40-$50 mil, and that truly is an original movie conceived by its director

it looks so unimaginative, ironically. I just don’t understand box office sometimes 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Well I'm not real choosy about what audiences decide to see this year, as long as they're seeing something

I'm sure the kids movie desert is giving that a boost along with the PG Deadpool and host of broadcast sitcom actors aboard for parents 

Edited by AniNate

IF opening higher or matching Ghostbusters?  IDK, about that.  Shawn's long range forecast of 28-35m seems more realistic. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ghostbusters was the runt of March, I don't necessarily think it's that far fetched that a starved family market would boost the first kids movie in two months to a similar opening 

Krasinski does have a history getting an original (non franchise, if you prefer) concept to a $50 mil opening

Edited by AniNate

I actually don't think the family market is as starved as people claim. Ghostbusters and Kung Fu Panda already came out. You'd think NOTHING targeted families since Wonka the way people on here talk.

Posted (edited)

Two months of no kids movies definitely helped Panda 4 open to near $60 mil after the previous one only opened to $40 mil. And Ghostbusters collapsed quickly and was PG-13, so that's not really a factor as far as the parent with young children dem goes.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Krasinski does have a history getting an original (non franchise, if you prefer) concept to a $50 mil opening

ONE franchise thanks to its smart, uniquely theatrical experience capitalizing hook. I don't see how IF is in any way similar to The Quiet Place RN but we'll see. The market is starved for family films but Garfield which has a lot more chatter is releasing the very next weekend.

• Like 1