kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

Should have just rereleased the pod race scene and Darth maul scene for $5 ticket. place would fill up 

52 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Universal just threw an obscene amount of money at the Super Bowl this year. Even bought a spot for a fall movie.

I trust they have since learned their lesson that Taylor Swift can only do so much.

It seems like it didn’t move the needle at all for Monkey Man or Fall Guy.  I think Super Bowl spots works better for films that are releasing within a few weeks not several months away. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I thought the Star Wars re-release would have slightly better numbers than that. 

I mean, it's still looking to be the higher-end of recent re-releases. Unless I'm missing something, it's only behind Avatar. That seems fine if you ask me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Eric Loves Rey said:

I mean, it's still looking to be the higher-end of recent re-releases. Unless I'm missing something, it's only behind Avatar. That seems fine if you ask me.

Not to mention, it's pretty great for what is not a very well-liked movie. Most re-releases are for beloved classics. 

Edited by Flopped

The audience at my The Fall Guy showing today was older for the most part which would explain the good Saturday bump. I'm guessing the younger demos that they tried to chase with trying to cash in on the Barbenheimer meme at one point didn't really fall for it for the most part.

3 hours ago, Flopped said:

Not to mention, it's pretty great for what is not a very well-liked movie. Most re-releases are for beloved classics. 

It’s fine if YOU don’t like it, but that narrative is over. Died a long time ago and wasn’t ever true. There was no world and no time where that was ever even remotely true in fact. CinemaScore was an A-, PostTrak was 4.5/5, every poll ever conducted in fact agreed. The movie had some of the best legs ever for a big blockbuster, on the strength of great word of mouth. It was a tiny group of the exact same age morons who controlled corporate media and gaslit everyone that “everyone hates TPM.” Nothing could be further from the truth. And you see the results, a way bigger opening than ROTJ just last year. The beloved classic lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

We have established Ryan Gosling is no Tom Cruise when it comes to being a draw (or even being his own personal stuntman)...

And for someone saying "will movies now adapt TJ Hooker?" - if Fall Guy had hit, they surely would have...but now that idea will go back in the box.

Also, the original MI show had much more stuff to draw upon that was still recognizable to the general culture in the 1990s. The theme music, the "this tape will self-drestruct" thing, the mask/unmask thing...  

But indeed you need a very good star to anchor those random TV show adaptations. The Equalizer movies are the best example imho.

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It’s fine if YOU don’t like it, but that narrative is over. Died a long time ago and wasn’t ever true. There was no world and no time where that was ever even remotely true in fact. CinemaScore was an A-, PostTrak was 4.5/5, every poll ever conducted in fact agreed. The movie had some of the best legs ever for a big blockbuster, on the strength of great word of mouth. It was a tiny group of the exact same age morons who controlled corporate media and gaslit everyone that “everyone hates TPM.” Nothing could be further from the truth. And you see the results, a way bigger opening than ROTJ just last year. The beloved classic lol 

TPM is not beloved at all, it just SW fans have been disappointed so much they can accept ok films now, don't act like People vs George Lucas or Jar Jar Stinks never happened , Jake Lloyd has mental health issues partially cause the reaction to TPM , without Liam elevating the material or duel of fates climax TPM is just bad overall

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

And you see the results, a way bigger opening than ROTJ just last year. The beloved classic lol 

Regardless of TPM reception, this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. Jedi's 2023 re-release only opened in 475 theaters (compared to the 2,700 theaters Menace is getting) yet still managed $5m and a much, much better PTA. Can't really compare one release to another that was at less than 16% of the locations of the former.

Edited by misterpepp
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

There was a giant risk that the general public would go ".....wtf?". It was noted repeatedly in threads both here and over at world of kj. 

Ehhhhh.. no, it wasn't. People wanted to see those versions of the character again.

Yeh I remember everyone hating this Star Wars film at the time. Children would’ve liked it and now they’re adults. Nostalgia and time.

Good Saturday hold for The Fall Guy, but too little too late. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Its Metacritic is 73. Lots of movies have a "good not great" score on Metacritic like that. People on here talked it up like it had Fury Road level raves, so SXSW must have had a very different reaction that the critics who watched it elsewhere.

The Fall Guy got a 77-78 on MC out of SXSW. It’s at 73 now, following the same path of every movie, opening higher and then dropping a bit.

The reception truly has been extremely similar since the beginning. I don’t know where some people get the impression that some huge dropping is happening, but it ‘s been very consistent actually

It’s a very good score, i don’t get much the discussion

• Like 1

GxK late legs have been amazing and yesterday it became the highest grossing Godzilla movie worldwide. I will also beat Skull Island for highest grossing monsterverse movie WW by the end of its run.

And Challengers looks poised for a 40% drop this weekend, which is pretty great. It has a long leggy run ahead of it.

Truly Warner Bros is on a roll this year.

Not everything is bleak.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

We're not doing this. I'm happy for you that the movie you liked as a kid has found it's own crowd of appreciators, but the movie is absolutely bollocks by all known metrics. No one has been gaslit, there is no great lie - most of the people who saw the movie simply thought it was shit. It's that clear cut. I will give Revenge of The Sith the credit it's due, but anyone actually saying that Episodes 1 & 2 are good movies are not serious people. Take the nostalgia goggles off. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

yeah but it's still shit