Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

No offense dude but this is just categorically false and wrong. As a POC who's friends are mainly POC and have been to POC filled conventions, Alien is huge with us.

EDIT: For example was at a con last weekend and there was an older black woman dressed as Ripley and this is something I've seen multiple times.

Fair enough! I'm certainly glad to be corrected. My friend group is mostly black and Latino down here in South Florida and my mom and brother are the only people period I know that have seen any of the Alien movies. But the same was also generally true of Halloween, which I missed on, so each region has some weird performers. I should probably shut up because I thought the "black people don't relate to Toy Story" discourse was insane a few weeks ago.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

People keep going on about the ALIEN franchise being small, well it maybe now, or since ALIEN 3 (Although $59mil in 1992 wasnt THAT bad) but ALIEN and ALIENS were the 5th biggest movie in the US for their respective years, R rated too.

We have had a lot of shit since ALIENS, which has effected the grosses but i have no doubt if a great ALIEN movie was made, it could do very well.

A Cameron directed 'ALIEN 5' would do amazing box office imo.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Fair enough! I'm certainly glad to be corrected. My friend group is mostly black and Latino down here in South Florida and my mom and brother are the only people period I know that have seen any of the Alien movies. But the same was also generally true of Halloween, which I missed on, so each region has some weird performers. I should probably shut up because I thought the "black people don't relate to Toy Story" discourse was insane a few weeks ago.

I definitely think region might play a role in it honestly. Different cultures for different regions. This is pure speculation, but I think ease of movie theater access might play a role in that honestly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Until today, I still can't comprehend how did Weaver got her acting nomination for Aliens. It was not that her acting isn't great, it is just a wonder how performance for action-horror got into voters' radar. 

Back in the days actors nominees were more interesting. For example Carrie got 2 actors nominees (and nominated only in actings categories). Being nominated as actor for a pure comedy role was more common too.

Now It's all about "oscar roles" which means 90% of the time biopics or roles with shocking physical transformation.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I had this doing 25m OW the entire summer until the presale surge, so certainly above my expectations for what I thought was a Furiosa esque dead old white person franchise. Should probably get 100m with no real competition.

Anyone with an iota of knowledge on movies would easily have predicted furiosa to be a bomb once the teaser was out. 

The marketing on alien Romulus was impeccable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ehhh? Ripley/Signourey is kind of important to Alien lol. More importantly, I don't know too many hip, non-white people talking about fucking Alien nowadays, seems just as square as Mad Max, which is my general point. But I can't claim to have my fingers directly on the pulse or anything.

Over half of my showing was black people. What is this idea that only white people like Alien? Black people love horror movies!

• Like 1

Sigourney was important to the franchise before they went into a different direction after they killed her off. James Cameron told 20th century Fox that if they wouldn't meet sigourney's demands for $1 million dollars for aliens that they could go pound salt and he wouldn't make the movie. Then when she came back for the last roll she was paid 20 million dollars to do so. She was definitely the glue that held everything together for the franchise before she was killed off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

We have had a lot of shit since ALIENS, which has effected the grosses but i have no doubt if a great ALIEN movie was made, it could do very well.

A Cameron directed 'ALIEN 5' would do amazing box office imo.

Shame it'll never happen, they wasted every single opportunity after Aliens to make a truly great movie in the franchise and not another mixed bag.

FRIDAY MIDDAY UPDATE: 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Fede Alvarez directed Alien: Romulus is headed for a $40M+ opening at 3,885 theaters in first place after a previews/Friday of $18.5M+. Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak audience exits last night were happy with the movie at 82% positive, 4 stars and a 65% definite recommend. The biggest opening for an Alien movie remains the 2012 Ridley Scott directed prequel Prometheus at $51M.

Fans showed up at 71% men, with 54% over 25. The 18-34 crowd repped 54% of the audience. Despite the younger cast here in Isabel Merced, Cailey Spaeny and David Jonsson among others, 74% of the crowd were over 25.

Box Office: 'Alien: Romulus' Earns $6.5M Previews (deadline.com)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

No offense dude but this is just categorically false and wrong. As a POC who's friends are mainly POC and have been to POC filled conventions, Alien is huge with us.

EDIT: For example was at a con last weekend and there was an older black woman dressed as Ripley and this is something I've seen multiple times.

What the hell is even going on here.

I can’t believe that it needs to be said but yeah, Mulder is right.

Two things

1. Alien: Romulus was solid. Wish there was more depth to it besides just being the literal definition of "what if Ridley Scott's Alien was made in 2024," but it does provide some great performances, fantastic filmmaking, and a plethora of violence, gore, and blood that don't hold back and show off some genuinely impressive practical effects. That, and some truly memorable production/set design. Not perfect, but just an all-around good movie that should please fans of the franchise and people who just want to see a big-budget horror movie in the theater. 

2. I'm sure Deadline is lowballing that $40M+ number that they just put out, but I just need to say this. Is is so hard to put in the report that we should be on the lookout for potential strong walk-up business or that the number could go higher? It's frustrating because they said on the Midday report that It Ends with Us could potentially overtake Deadpool and Wolverine for the #2 spot, but they don't even mention if Alien: Romulus could go higher despite it being the #1 movie of the weekend.

This might not matter in a few hours from now or tomorrow morning, but I just needed to let this out because it really bothers me whenever I read a Deadline Midday Report. Though I'm probably taking this more seriously than I should. 

• Like 1

For those interested: 

Next is Marvel Studios/Disney’s fourth weekend ofDeadpool & Wolverine at 3,960 locations with $27M-$29M after a $8.5M Friday. At the high end, the Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman pic could clear $545.7M by Sunday.

Third belongs to Sony/Wayfarer Studios’ Blake Lively-Justin Baldoni romance drama It Ends With Us at 3,739 sites with a second Friday of $7.5M and second weekend at $23M, -54%. Note that could very well improve throughout the weekend; some believe the pic could movie closer to D&W 3-day take. Cume by Sunday is $96.7M. 

The fifth weekend of Twisters from Universal/Warner Bros at 3,483 theaters is looking at $2.5M today for an $8.4M 3-day, -44% and running total of $237M. 

Fifth goes to Fathom’s 15th anniversary rerelease ofCoraline at 1,523 theaters with $2.2M today, $7.3Mfor the 3-day and $10.4M for the four-day. The Focus Features movie opened to $16.8M back in February 2009, and made $82.4M stateside.

• Like 2