ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why? The movie is still 9 months out. 

Mostly for selfish reasons I just want to see it and also to see what the reaction would be if the trailer is great how people would react to it and if people really can not separate it from the bad stuff happening or it would turn the DC buzz around. Probably better to get as far away from Joker as possible though actually.

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Lol I know unrelated to the box office but I remember just how big those first few Marvel shows were, each new episode felt like a mini event for someone like me.

Even had a friend come over for the weekend just to watch the finale. We’d been liking the show up until that point… 

I genuinely believe that that finale speech was where the MCU shows ran out of steam with the zeitgeist.

I think the biggest telltale sign Marvel was losing steam was when Loki aired. The show itself was fine, but you had it coming out almost immediately after Falcon and Winter Soldier, which was immediately following WandaVision before it. I think Falcon premiered like two weeks after WandaVision. But then you had Loki airing a new episode on the exact same week as Black Widow premiered, and it just felt like we were being forcefed Marvel stuff down our throats with little time to breathe and enjoy what we had. It's absence that makes the heart grow fonder after all. Nobody likes having too much of a good thing.

And that's not even getting into all the other superhero stuff that was on every streaming service around that time. You had like The Boys and Invincible airing new episodes around that time too, I think Netflix might have had a superhero show that got canceled shortly after. Like it's no wonder a major chunk of viewers got sick of this whole enterprise, especially when this onslaught clearly impacted the quality of the movies and the shows.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Your ceiling is where I'm at too, but that's if everything goes right for the movie.

I am thinking low $500m like the first Iron Man, and around where Batman Begins adjusts too with a ceiling around $700-750m if everything goes well. Floor is like $350m.

Think one advantage of Superman that everyone is overlooking is he was the hero. If marketing is strong and reviews and hype is there, it wont go as low as some think. Don't think 1b can happen, but simultaneously I don't think sub 250m is realistic.

1 minute ago, YM! said:

I am thinking low $500m like the first Iron Man, and around where Batman Begins adjusts too with a ceiling around $700-750m if everything goes well. Floor is like $350m.

Think one advantage of Superman that everyone is overlooking is he was the hero. If marketing is strong and reviews and hype is there, it wont go as low as some think. Don't think 1b can happen, but simultaneously I don't think sub 250m is realistic.

Honestly nobody knows what is going to happen with Superman. Assuming the movie delivers and the trailers and marketing are all good suggesting sub 250 and below Joker 2 is just pure grade a trolling.  I think the most likely result is Batman Begins inflation adjusted. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Gaga stans being Todd Phillips's No.1 defenders was not on my 2024 bingo card

In all seriousness though, I don't see how you can call GA dumb just because they're rejecting your favu's vanity project when the best performing films from the last 2 years include Barbie, Oppenheimer, Across the Spider-Verse, Inside Out 2 and Dune 2, all films that would have been considered as "risque" and "overintellectual" for the masses in the 2000s and maybe even in the 2010s

I don’t think the movie is particularly good but transforming a SH movie into a full musical (one of the more rejected genres since SH domination) in 2024 is a lot more risque than all of those movies. 

We don’t need to pretend this is a fairly normal movie by today standards just because it flopped and we didn’t loved it.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Because Anthony Mackie's version will always and forever be synonymous with that atrocious final speech at the end of his Disney+ series. Everyone and their mother tore that to pieces, and it's still recent enough to taint Mackie in the eyes of many for the rest of his tenure in the franchise. I don't blame him at all for the choices the writers made there, but that is nonetheless his legacy as Captain America.

Also, without getting into details, the movie's plot was recently leaked in full, and it does not inspire confidence in the slightest. Unless a miracle happens in post production and they somehow manage to salvage a good movie out, it's doomed.

Bless you friend, I can’t remember a thing about that series.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2024 at 11:14 PM, THUNDER BIRD said:

Jurassic World Dominion isn't a gotcha.

Jurassic World Dominion could only manage 1 billion because it was bad, had it been good, it was Stomping past that mark with ease.

We need to stop looking at Final grosses and start seeing the path movies took to reach that.

You'll have to clarify what you mean. I think what you're saying is domestic gross was far less impressive. 2.5 domestic multiplier isn't great, but it isn't terrible. 

It doesn't matter though. My point is, not enough hard evidence that suddenly audiences care about reviews. I wish they did, but I don't buy it yet. 

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Why are people rooting against Captain America 4?

They're acting like Chris Evans was fired or something.

It's unfortunately going to bomb OS. Replacing any of the Big 3 (Thor, Cap, Iron-man) is going to be a TALL task and may take years before the public accepts a new face for these characters