ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

Scrooged is a frustrating one as somebody who loves the original Christmas Carol story to pieces. It has the cardinal sin a lot of adaptations fall under where Scrooge is portrayed as too villainous, loves being a dick, and there's no real sense he has a progression or arc or that he's learning anything. It all then leads to some sappy speech at the end that just leads to the whole thing being inconsistent and messy.

Supporting cast is fun though. Bobcat Goldthwait is good, Carol Kane's hilarious as always. Just annoying at how hard Frank Cross is fumbled.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Scrooged is a frustrating one as somebody who loves the original Christmas Carol story to pieces. It has the cardinal sin a lot of adaptations fall under where Scrooge is portrayed as too villainous, loves being a dick, and there's no real sense he has a progression or arc or that he's learning anything. It all then leads to some sappy speech at the end that just leads to the whole thing being inconsistent and messy.

Supporting cast is fun though. Bobcat Goldthwait is good, Carol Kane's hilarious as always. Just annoying at how hard Frank Cross is fumbled.

I think the movie was hurt by the fact that Bill Murray was a miserable shit during the production  and Richard Donner hated working with him. Although Groundhog Day is a stone cold classic and he was terrible during that and it ruined the friendship between him and Ramis . So you never know.

Edited by emoviefan

Complete and utter disbelief leaving the theater. Auditorium was like 10% filled which is rare for a blockbuster on Friday evenings. Few people walked out, mostly young teens. 

I will say this was not the worst film i've ever seen, not even the worst CBM of all time (Black Widow still holds that imo). It's just shockingly bland and boring. 

We could have been talking about a $120M OW $800M WW finish if this was a normal Joker sequel and not some faux pretentious arthouse project. 

• Knock It Off 2

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

Complete and utter disbelief leaving the theater. Auditorium was like 10% filled which is rare for a blockbuster on Friday evenings. Few people walked out, mostly young teens. 

I will say this was not the worst film i've ever seen, not even the worst CBM of all time (Black Widow still holds that imo). It's just shockingly bland and boring. 

We could have been talking about a $120M OW $800M WW finish if this was a normal Joker sequel and not some faux pretentious arthouse project. 

Black Widow the worst superhero movie of all time? Good grief. That's a movie you largely forget about within 72 hours, not see it as the worst of all time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Let's not pretend Joker is going for arthouse. It's going for a 3rd grader on Reddit's idea of arthouse, maybe.

I mean, it is going for arthouse. Nearly 3 hour movie with minimal action scenes and loads of courtroom stuff spliced with musical segments doesn't really scream "commercial comic book movie". That doesn't mean it pulls this off well, though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I mean, it is going for arthouse. Nearly 3 hour movie with minimal action scenes and loads of courtroom stuff spliced with musical segments doesn't really scream "commercial comic book movie". That doesn't mean it pulls this off well, though.

Not having action scenes is not what arthouse means! I agree it isn't filled with as much commercial CGI gloop horseshit as your average Quantumania, though. I wanted to jump off a slightly less tall building than some of the later stage MCU movies have made me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

There's a middle between La Dolce Vita and Deadpool&Wolverine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Not having action scenes is not what arthouse means! I agree it isn't filled with as much commercial CGI gloop horseshit as your average Quantumania, though. I wanted to jump off a slightly less tall building than some of the later stage MCU movies have made me.

Dude, it premiered at Cannes. I don't think they were going for Deadpool and Wolverine.