ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That 190m paid a lot of people, the only loser are shareholders of a conglomerate, I see this as a win 🤷

It is low key the greatest troll in theatrical history lol. For that he has my eternal admiration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

I do. Dude blew 190 mil on a courtroom drama. Lots of people are destitute and will never be given a chance in life. If Todd Phillips wants to blow more money than the Emperor Commodus on terrible musicals then fuck 'em. I don't need that kind of idiocy in my life.

You sound like you paid for this movie. Is it you, Zaslav?)

22 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Why on earth would Transformers get reduced from 3970 theatres to just 3106?? The highest any September movie in the top 50 opening weekends has been reduced by was 650.

Even movies that we’re doing worse like Ninjago were only reduced by 400. Reducing it by 864 is fucking nuts 

People just don't want to see it, so theaters have every right to drop it in favour of other more popular titles. Only the most diehards even gave it a chance, and they've likely all already seen it even before the official Thursday previews commenced.

Just now, MightyDargon said:

190 mil could do a lot of good in the world (or the film industry) other than making a shitty forced Joker sequel.

It did good for the film industry, it employed a lot of people to use their skills to create entertainment. Never a waste. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yollten said:

Phillips shat the bed hard here but he's still a marquee name in comedies I think. He might struggle to get a big budget pic for a while but I think he'll be fine.

Joaquin could be in trouble though especially if Eddington flops. Although one wonders how much the Todd Haynes backflip was well known.

Phillips is going to be hurt the hardest by this disaster, but it won't end his career.

Likewise, I don't think Phoenix will be in trouble either. He's always been selective with the movies he stars in.

Considering this was Zaslav's first greenlight (lol) and I strongly dislike Zaslav for what he did to WB animation, no, I'm not him.

It will be MASSIVELY satisfying to see Wild Robot run haywire on it given the damage Zaslav did to CN/Looney Tunes/WB animation in general, though.

15 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Why do you have such a hard on for this guy getting blacklisted? It's pretty weird. 

Like ion even like Todd Phillips’ work but it’s kinda weird to want anyone blacklisted.

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

190 mil could do a lot of good in the world (or the film industry) other than making a shitty forced Joker sequel.

$190-200M is a lot. But other recent flops have cost more and lost their respective studios more money than however much Joker 2 costs Warner Brothers.

At worst, this is just yet another flop from DC that will make James Gunn's job that much trickier. 

24 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Maybe Joker 2 will bomb so badly it'll get 'em back? Just hoping.

I’d kinda hope so. No September movie in the top 100 had a worse reduction, and the only September movies I could find with worse 3rd week theatre reductions were Apollo 18 and Expend4bles, neither of which even cracked 20mil domestically. 

Edited by CheeseWizard

3 minutes ago, Yollten said:

It is low key the greatest troll in theatrical history lol. For that he has my eternal admiration.

May I suggest instead the moviepass ethos? 

"We're going to buy all of you as many free tickets as you want and make money from volume"

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Considering this was Zaslav's first greenlight (lol) and I strongly dislike Zaslav for what he did to WB animation, no, I'm not him.

It will be MASSIVELY satisfying to see Wild Robot run haywire on it given the damage Zaslav did to CN/Looney Tunes/WB animation in general, though.

Zaslav being a jackass who doesn't give a shit about animation is nothing new for him, nor is it new for a lot of execs.

• Like 1

Verbinski and Andrew Stanton did go to director jail for just one box office bomb but that was a different time imo. Nowadays directors can put out a disappointment after disappointment and still get another chance because studios need directors who can actually put together a mid-big budget project. The experiment of throwing blockbusters at  inexperienced indie directors has largely failed. Joker 2 will bomb, yeah, but Todd Phillips also delivered the original which was a huge hit and if it weren't for him then the original wouldn't even exist. So I think he will be fine.  

I have a question regarding musicals...I haven't seen many Hollywood musicals but I was very surprised when I learnt that the songs in the Hollywood musicals are usually sung my the actor/actress. In Indian movies where we have lot of songs, in 99% of the cases, the songs are sang by some other singers, not the lead actor, actress. Why is this not the case in Hollywood ? Wouldn't it make lot of sense to hire best possible actors suited for just acting part of the role and best possible singer for singing the song rather than have the actor do both the things ? 

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

Woddy Allen was still making Hollywood movies recently, Philips is far from the list of directors who should be blacklisted.

Maybe 10 years ago? All his movies now are financed in Europe and barely get released here. Here's his last one (note the language):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15140278/?ref_=nm_flmg_job_1_cred_t_1

Just now, upriser7 said:

I have a question regarding musicals...I haven't seen many Hollywood musicals but I was very surprised when I learnt that the songs in the Hollywood musicals are usually sung my the actor/actress. In Indian movies where we have lot of songs, in 99% of the cases, the songs are sang by some other singers, not the lead actor, actress. Why is this not the case in Hollywood ? Wouldn't it make lot of sense to hire best possible actors suited for just acting part of the role and best possible singer for singing the song rather than have the actor do both the things ? 

Two words: Milli Vanilli

• Like 1

Just now, DInky said:

Verbinski and Andrew Stanton did go to director jail for just one box office bomb but that was a different time imo. Nowadays directors can put out a disappointment after disappointment and still get another chance because studios need directors who can actually put together a mid-big budget project. The experiment of throwing blockbusters at  inexperienced indie directors has largely failed. Joker 2 will bomb, yeah, but Todd Phillips also delivered the original which was a huge hit and if it weren't for him then the original wouldn't even exist. So I think he will be fine.  

Andrew Stanton wasn't even in director's jail for a long stretch, anyway. A year after John Carter flopped, he announced he was making Finding Dory and now he's direction episodes of TV shows like Obi-Wan, Stranger Things, and other Apple projects. 

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

People just don't want to see it, so theaters have every right to drop it in favour of other more popular titles. Only the most diehards even gave it a chance, and they've likely all already seen it even before the official Thursday previews commenced.

Aye, and I get that, but it’s doing similar daily numbers to movies like abominable and ninjago, yet its reduction is nearly twice as much as either of those. God the 2020’s have been brutal