Eric is Gay for Venom

VENOM: THE LAST DANCE WEEKEND THREAD

https://deadline.com/2024/10/box-office-venom-the-last-dance-1236158112/

EXCLUSIVE: Currently we hear that Sony/Marvel’s Venom: The Last Dance is eyeing around $8M in previews tonight, maybe more by the morning. Showtimes began at 2PM in U.S. Canada at 3,500 locations.

At that figure, there’s a path to a $65M opening, which we mentioned would rep the lowest start for the trilogy stateside after owning the third (2021’s Venom: Let There Be Carnage at $90M) and fourth best (2018’s Venom) openings for October. Yes, we expect more from superhero threequels, but this is Venom and the franchise always reaped significantly more abroad (anywhere from 60% to 75%) than domestic. Hence, the global number means more to the studio to make good on that $120M production cost before marketing spend.

• Like 3

I feel like I haven't posted here in one of these in a while, anyways Smile 2 was great and I think Parker Finn has the potential to be one of the great american filmmakers. Him taking inspiration from Jonathan Demme to make Smile 2 was unexpected. Hope he gets to make another original film soon.

3 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Venom 3 is the type of movie that makes me wonder why I ever got into movies to begin with. 

I need to watch some good movies again. Thank god Anora is out this weekend.

That's why I plan to see Conclave this weekend.  Not lighting my money on fire to see Venom. 

Watching Conclave Friday. Anora is still nowhere near me and I'm not driving almost 30 miles and dealing with down town parking to see the movie so hoping this expands properly next weekend. 

Venom trying to get me to give a shit about this villain was very...it was a choice. Dragged the movie down, a movie under 2 hours that somehow felt like 2 and a half. Some Venom stuff that's fun but overall the movie was just. There. It exists. The audience was largely silent minus one big laugh near the end of the movie. And this was at the fan screening so...not great. But I got a Venom cable tie and I've already used it to help organize the mess on my floor so it was worth it.

7 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Would mean losing 50% of their audience from V1.

I feel like considering the kind of drops we've seen with like The Marvels and Joker 2, this isn't the worst result. It's not good, not at all, but considering the climate. It would still also make it the second biggest OW for a superhero property this year which says a lot about the genre's state atm but.

So Spider-man is Sony's biggest franchise.

Marvel Studio's is never getting the rights back.

Worst deal in movie history. Marvel should've put a twelve year cap on Sony's Spider-man movies rights.

At least we got the Spider-verse movies. 

Random thought: I believe the massive success of Deadpool & Wolverine had a negative impact on Venom 3’s potential, because it scratched that anti-hero CBM itch for a lot of potential audience, and set such a high bar of quality, high entertainment value for cost, than it made this film seem far more superfluous

• Like 3