Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

US movies, with the exception of Disney/Pixar stuff, are dead in Japan. They prefer their local stuff.

Pacific Rim, tailored to Japanese audience, did not perform well at all in 2013.

And now, Ultron earning less than $20M is just pitiful.

The Japanese audience are weird with their tastes of movies nowadays. Are they assuming that those movies they'll see, would suck and blow for them?

US movies, with the exception of Disney/Pixar stuff, are dead in Japan. They prefer their local stuff.

Pacific Rim, tailored to Japanese audience, did not perform well at all in 2013.

The last Resident Evil movie made $48m in Japan, though. I know that was 2012 but it just goes to show quality has nothing to do with their movie preferences.

And anyone who expect JW to do any good numbers here are nuts. It's the movie with real humans, no familiar characters and no fairy princesses, nothing to see here' guys.

Edited by KATCH 22

The last Resident Evil movie made $48m in Japan, though. I know that was 2012 but it just goes to show quality has nothing to do with their movie preferences.

And anyone who expect JW to do any good numbers here are nuts. It's the movie with real humans, no familiar characters and no fairy princesses, nothing to see here' guys.

The first JP made $120 million in 1993. Just like everywhere else JW has a massive base to pull/start from in Japan that other recent Hollywood films did not. JW could do $30 million or explode in Japan. It's a wild card.

• Like 1

Nah. Summer weekdays will help it at least gross 25m. 2nd weekend drops are bad.

Monday drop is bad too. down 52% so far. Usually the summer midweek can do 100-150% of the prior weekend. Today will put it on a pace to do 50% of prior weekend like last week, 1.7m

will be going into the weekend at <14.5m with more competition I assume. if it holds at 50% itll be at 17m next Friday.

22m is no lock at this point. I don't think it will leg into obon to get a boost. may be just a 4 week deal if drops more than 50% next week

• Like 1

The first JP made $120 million in 1993. Just like everywhere else JW has a massive base to pull/start from in Japan that other recent Hollywood films did not. JW could do $30 million or explode in Japan. It's a wild card.

There's no older casts returning to reconnect those older audience to the original JP plus since GOTG kind of a flop here Chris Pratt isn't going to be a draw either. Sorry but I just can't see it breaking out here. I'd be happy if it can do Godzilla number. :(

Edited by KATCH 22

Wow what a huge decline for "Age Of Ultron" :blink:  I thought Japan was the third largest marketarrow-10x10.png in the world, but it seems now that the UK and South Korea are now on that position, behind USA and China :mellow: Both "Furious 7" and AOU grossed much better in those marketsarrow-10x10.png. Hope "Jurassic World" can overcome that, but it seems now very dificult :wacko:

"Harry Potter" please comeback... you're really missed (and needeed)

It still is I think. For a country like Japan, we can't judge how big the market is based on some Hollywood movies. Nowadays, local movies have bigger share there. They make the same or bigger numbers than Furious 7 or AoU made in UK or South Korea. Although that position is gonna be taken over by other countries due to population ageing (and decrease) in Japan.

There's no older casts returning to reconnect those older audience to the original JP plus since GOTG kind of a flop here Chris Pratt isn't going to be a draw either. Sorry but I just can't see it breaking out here. I'd be happy if it can do Godzilla number. :(

The exact same situation in every country including the US (except for Chris Pratt, but overseas he's not that big of a star yet), but that didn't stop it from making huge numbers. Besides, it's not the older casts that reconnected the fans to JP. It's the dinosaurs, and the park itself. So it has the potential to break out, but whether it actually will, is still unknown.

The Harry Potter films were extremely successful in Japan, actually four of them have passed the 100$ million mark. But i think you're right. 

• Like 1

The Harry Potter films were extremely successful in Japan, actually four of them have passed the 100$ million mark. But i think you're right. 

I think we're talking about "today". Yes, the earlier HP movies were some of the biggest movies ever in Japan. But Hollywood movies were huge there in the 2000's, especially in early 2000's, not only Harry Potter. Now, they're kinda dead except for Disney/Pixar.

Edited by catlover

Corpse

Weekend Actuals (07/11-12)

166830_5.jpg
© 2015 THE BOY AND THE BEAST FILM PARTNERS

01 (--) ¥667,035,100 ($5.45 million), 0, ¥667,035,100 ($5.45 million), The Boy and the Beast (Toho) NEW
02 (--) ¥515,720,300 ($4.21 million), 0, ¥664,756,400 ($5.42 million), Terminator: Genisys (Paramount) NEW
03 (01) ¥368,893,200 ($3.01 million), -54%, ¥1,674,231,200 ($13.67 million), Avengers: Age of Ultron (Disney) Week 2
04 (02) ¥123,887,960 ($1.01 million), -45%, ¥1,654,997,930 ($13.45 million), Love Live! The School Idol Movie (Shochiku) Week 5
05 (04) ¥74,337,800 ($607,000), -34%, ¥217,036,600 ($1.77 million), Shaun the Sheep Movie (Tohokushinsha) Week 2
06 (03) ¥68,475,100 ($558,000), -45%, ¥1,287,953,500 ($10.47 million), Mad Max: Fury Road (Warner Bros.) Week 4
07 (05) ¥57,011,700 ($464,000), -43%, ¥1,404,012,000 ($11.42 million), Sea Town Diary (Toho) Week 5
08 (06) ¥51,777,200 ($422,000), -42%, ¥174,958,500 ($1.43 million), Anpanman: Mija and the Magic Lamp (Tokyo Theaters, Co.) Week 2
09 (--) ¥46,602,400 ($379,000), 0, ¥46,602,400 ($379,000), Documentary of Nogizaka 46 (Toho Video Division) NEW
10 (--) ¥37,115,200 ($302,000), 0, ¥37,115,200 ($302,000), Ari no Mama de Itai (Toei) NEW

>The Boy and the Beast, the latest from acclaimed director Mamoru Hosoda, debuted atop the box-office in its opening weekend, up 82% (79% in admissions) over his previous film, Wolf Children from three years ago, which went on to earn ¥4.22 billion ($53 million) and 3.42 million admissions.

Playing across 457 screens, one of the widest releases ever for a domestic film, it sold 494,170 tickets over the weekend. The film tells the story of Kyuta, a boy living in Shibuya, and Kumatetsu, a lonesome beast from Jutengai, an imaginary world. One day, Kyuta forays into the imaginary world and, as he's looking for his way back, meets Kumatetsu who becomes his spirit guide.

If it follows Hosoda's previous films, and those released by Studio Ghibli during July, a multiplier of 10 or greater is likely. So, the film could finish possibly as high as ¥7 billion ($60 million) with over 5 million admissions, but I have a feeling it could go higher.

And this opening is particularly impressive given Mamoru Hosoda and Studio Chizu are still establishing themselves as a household, mainstream brand, and seeing as it's a truly original film. However, given the strong opening here, it seems Japanese audiences have already begun accepting them as Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's proper successors.

>Terminator: Genisys had to settle for second place, but still delivered an impressive debut, down a reasonable 13% compared to the opening weekend of Terminator: Salvation. And any debut above ¥500 million is considered very strong in the market.

The latest in the popular sci-fi action series sold 352,718 tickets on 737 screens over the weekend, which brought its 3-day total up to 461,590 admissions.

The film faces a lot of upcoming competition (as does everything in release) with the Summer box office season about to really begin, but with decent enough reviews and a prime release frame, it should be able to achieve the ¥3 billion (~$25 million) milestone and I wouldn't rule out it surpassing its predecessor's ¥3.32 billion total.

>Avengers: Age of Ultron falls to third place after it's very surprising opening last weekend, selling 234,553 admissions in its second frame. Generally speaking, a second weekend drop over 50% is very bad (probably comparable to a 65%+ drop in the US), but this has become the norm now for most Marvel/DC properties.

After it's huge opening last weekend, it looked quite likely the latest Avengers would reach the 4 billion milestone, thus becoming the only non-Spider-Man Marvel/DC film to achieve the milestone, but now that's looking pretty iffy at best. An adjusted projection would have it finishing closer to ¥3.5 billion (~$30 million), but still with a chance of beating its predecessor's ¥3.61 billion total. This upcoming holiday weekend with three new tentpoles releasing will be the deciding factor.

>Making a surprising, but not so surprising debut in ninth place is the Documentary of Nogizaka 46. It's surprising because it's only playing on 46 screens, but not so due to the girl's very large fanbase. The documentary sold 29,551 admissions over the weekend, selling out or nearly selling out most of its showtimes in the process.

>And finally, the tenth place spot went to Ari no Mama de Itai, another documentary, but this time about all the different beetles that live across the islands of Japan photographed by Kiyoshi Kamoshita.

This is also one of the first domestic films to be released in 3D in quite some time, after the format became a burden for most releases in 2012/2013, so it was released on an impressive 402 screens as a result, but only sold 28,104 admissions over the weekend.

• Like 1