Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Wow what a huge decline for "Age Of Ultron" :blink:  I thought Japan was the third largest marketarrow-10x10.png in the world, but it seems now that the UK and South Korea are now on that position, behind USA and China :mellow: Both "Furious 7" and AOU grossed much better in those marketsarrow-10x10.png. Hope "Jurassic World" can overcome that, but it seems now very dificult :wacko:

"Harry Potter" please comeback... you're really missed (and needeed)

A harry potter spin-off is scheduled to be released in 2016!

Jk Rowling writes the script for this and i believe it will have some of the magic of the harry potter movies.

:)

• Like 1

A harry potter spin-off is scheduled to be released in 2016!

Jk Rowling writes the script for this and i believe it will have some of the magic of the harry potter movies.

:)

I know and i'm really excited about that, but it will defenetily not be the same as Potter, Ron and Hermione :(

Looking at the money that movies are grossing nowadays, is hard to believe that the weekest Harry Potter film in Japan as grossed outstanding $81 million dollars... and without any help from 3D showings! :blink:

• Like 1

With Inside Out, Hero 2, Pokemon opening, and The Boy and the Beast 2nd weekend, this weekend is gonna be HUGE! I hope Inside Out opens at #1. But based on the content of the movie, and early reviews from those who saw the preview, I belive it will have amazing legs anyway. But this summer is pretty crowded. We still have Jurassic World and MI5. The box office is gonna be very exciting.

Corpse :

So, this upcoming weekend has the potential to be one of the biggest of all-time with three more tentpoles being released just in time for Summer vacation. The mid-July weekend marks the beginning of Summer, and is almost always the biggest weekend of the year (7 of the Top 12 biggest weekends have been from mid-July).

The new openers includes: Hero 2, Inside Out, and Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages.

I'll go into more detail on Thursday when I post the Weekend Preview, but the seating/showtime advantage is currently:

Hero 2 (NEW) > The Boy and the Beast (Week 2) ≥ Inside Out (NEW) > Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (NEW) > Terminator: Genisys (Week 2) > Avengers: Age of Ultron (Week 3).

Biggest All-Time Weekends (Top 10 Films) [1998-]

Spoiler: hide
01. ¥3.601 billion - 07/09-10/2005 (#1 Film - Star Wars Episosde III: Revenge of the Sith)
02. ¥3.427 billion - 05/03-04/2014 (#1 Film - Frozen)
03. ¥3.423 billion - 07/19-20/2003 (#1 Film - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge!)
04. ¥3.329 billion - 07/21-22/2007 (#1 Film - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
05. ¥3.314 billion - 07/22-23/2006 (#1 Film - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest)
06. ¥3.160 billion - 04/17-18/2010 (#1 Film - Alice in Wonderland)
07. ¥3.129 billion - 04/18-19/2015 (#1 Film - Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F)
08. ¥3.048 billion - 07/21-22/2001 (#1 Film - Spirited Away)
09. ¥3.046 billion - 12/20-21/2014 (#1 Film - Yo-Kai Watch: It's the Secret of Birth, Nyan!)
10. ¥2.963 billion - 07/17-18/2010 (#1 Film - Arrietty)
11. ¥2.960 billion - 07/18-19/2009 (#1 Film - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince)
12. ¥2.917 billion - 07/10-11/2010 (#1 Film - Toy Story 3)

What the hell is Hero 2 and why does it have more screens than Inside Out? :blink:

It's a very popular drama series. The first "season" was one of the highest rated dramas ever back in 2000. And then the first movie was a blockbuster, grossing 8.15b yen total in 2007. The 2nd "season" was also a rating success in 2014, although not as big as the first one. Also, the lead actor, Takuya Kimura is one of the biggest superstar there. So it's not surprising that the theaters have high expectation for this movie. That's why I hope IO can open big enough to get the #1 spot. Even if it doesn't, the legs will be great.

• Like 1

It's a very popular drama series. The first "season" was one of the highest rated dramas ever back in 2000. And then the first movie was a blockbuster, grossing 8.15b yen total in 2007. The 2nd "season" was also a rating success in 2014, although not as big as the first one. Also, the lead actor, Takuya Kimura is one of the biggest superstar there. So it's not surprising that the theaters have high expectation for this movie. That's why I hope IO can open big enough to get the #1 spot. Even if it doesn't, the legs will be great.

Ah, I see.

In the US, movies made from tv shows usually don't do very well. It would be pretty much impossible for one to be in more theaters than a Pixar movie opening on the same weekend. But I guess it is different for Japan.

Ah, I see.

In the US, movies made from tv shows usually don't do very well. It would be pretty much impossible for one to be in more theaters than a Pixar movie opening on the same weekend. But I guess it is different for Japan.

Japanese audiences seem to prefer the safety of a TV adaptation at the cinema than an unproven property, hence why franchises like Doraemon, Pokemon and Yokai Watch (likely at least) prove successful year after year.

Japanese audiences seem to prefer the safety of a TV adaptation at the cinema than an unproven property, hence why franchises like Doraemon, Pokemon and Yokai Watch (likely at least) prove successful year after year.

This. In fact, most of the biggest live action Japanese movies are TV adaptations.

It's really interesting to see what kind of local movies that are successful in different countries. Superhero movies in the US, animation and TV adaptations in Japan, etc. In my country, Indonesia, 8 of the top 10 biggest local movies in the last 20 years are book adaptations.

This. In fact, most of the biggest live action Japanese movies are TV adaptations.

It's really interesting to see what kind of local movies that are successful in different countries. Superhero movies in the US, animation and TV adaptations in Japan, etc. In my country, Indonesia, 8 of the top 10 biggest local movies in the last 20 years are book adaptations.

This is why I think Attack on Titan is in the driving seat to be the biggest film of the summer.

Pokemon's pre-sales, if showtimes are any indications, is considerably weaker than the average Pokemon film so expect a drop from last year's Pokemon film which was one of the weakest in the entire film franchise. Level-5 is also releasing new Yokai Watch games so kids are much more invested in that than they are with Pokemon and could potentially hurt it's OW performance. This is troubling considering they literally put every legendary Pokemon, had amazing souvenirs for pre-sales, and just bumped up their marketing and if it performs worse than last year's film, things are not going to look good. Yokai Watch seems to have beaten Pokemon in every medium from television ratings, game sales, to merchendise sales so it's longevity, after 20 years can finally be questioned. Unlike Digimon, Yokai Watch is growing rapidly each year and it's games have sold a combined total of over 10 million in Japan alone! Yokai Watch will transition internationally and most notably to the States soon so Pokemon has a lot to worry about if this franchise hurts their sales not only in Japan but worldwide annually. On the other hand, tracking for Hero 2 does not seem as big according to Corpse so it won't perform as strongly as it's predecessor (¥1 billion plus opening and ¥8 billion plus cumulative gross) but still make enough to nab the No. 2 action film of 2015, according to Corpse. The film also has the largest showtimes at 100k plus. Last but not least, Inside Out doesn't have nearly as much showtimed as other animated films during OW: foreign or Japanese and Corpse thinks it'll perform much like how Up performed. It is worthy to note that Brave also went against similar competition last year and bombed but with the critical reviews and WOM in other countries and the States, Inside Out, hopefully, won't follow suite.

Im hoping for a 3 million plus opening for all but Pokemon might fall slightly below, at around 2.5 to 2.8 unless somehow, miraculously, it survives the competition.

Edited by CelestialFairyIX

Corpse

I normally wait to post the seating/showtimes for the usual locations after all the chains have their seating/showtimes available, but with Toho Cinemas being the most important and considering the magnitude of the upcoming weekend, here's the arrangement for this Saturday at Toho Cinemas:

Toho Cinemas - Saturday Seating/Showtimes
Seats [showtimes] - Film (Week of Release)

147,263 [488] - Hero 2 (NEW)
96,748 [464] - Inside Out (NEW)
87,795 [474] - The Boy and the Beast (Week 2)
72,943 [307] - Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (NEW)
69,956 [433] - Terminator: Genisys (Week 2)
56,547 [386] - Avengers: Age of Ultron (Week 3)

Toho Cinemas is the second largest chain the country, operating 21% of the nation's theaters.

Hero 2, as expected, is a very wide release and is on the largest screens at every location. If Toho Cinemas is any indication, it'll be the second widest live-action release this year in terms of seating.

The original film, released in 2007, was one of the biggest domestic live-action films ever, opening above ¥1 billion and grossing over ¥8 billion. I highly doubt the sequel does that well, though. The 8 year gap, certain re-castings and Season 2's TV ratings, while very strong in the low 20% range, were far below Season 1's mid-30% ratings. It's still a contender for biggest live-action film of the year, though.

Inside Out is an interesting one. It's receiving noticeably fewer seats/showtimes than every other major animated release this year (foreign and domestic) opening weekend. It is, however, facing much bigger competition than any other major animated release this year, too.

I believe it's going to perform in-line with Pixar's other original films, Wall-E, Ratatouille and Up. God forbid we have another Brave disaster on our hands, which interesting enough, was up against Mamoru Hosoda's last film, Pokemon, and a major local live-action film, too, just like Inside Out is this year...

Pokemon is also receiving fewer seats/showtimes than it usually does every year, but as mentioned above, competition for those big screens is very tight this summer. But this also means that pre-sales likely weren't impressive again this year. And it doesn't help matters that the opening weekends of the last three films have experienced consecutive drops, so it's understandable.

Per Corpse:

Here's how the pre-sales are looking at 5 key theaters (3 Toho, 2 Movix), about 18 hours before the first showings begin on Saturday:

Toho Cinemas Ebina

732 - Hero 2 (NEW)

317 - Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (NEW)

137 - The Boy and the Beast (Week 2)

135 - Inside Out (NEW)

99 - Terminator: Genisys (Week 2)

68 - Avengers: Age of Ultron (Week 3)

Toho Cinemas Namba

896 - Hero 2 (NEW)

208 - The Boy and the Beast (Week 2)

139 - Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (NEW)

124 - Inside Out (NEW)

106 - Terminator: Genisys (Week 2)

80 - Avengers: Age of Ultron (Week 3)

Toho Cinemas Kinshicho

697 - Hero 2 (NEW)

217 - Inside Out (NEW)

207 - Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (NEW)

188 - The Boy and the Beast (Week 2)

183 - Avengers: Age of Ultron (Week 3)

126 - Terminator: Genisys (Week 2)

Movix Shinjuku

1,099 - Hero 2 (NEW)

438 - The Boy and the Beast (Week 2)

392 - Inside Out (NEW)

231 - Terminator: Genisys (Week 2)

158 - Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (NEW)

149 - Avengers: Age of Ultron (Week 3)

Movix Saitama

634 - Hero 2 (NEW)

177 - Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (NEW)

104 - The Boy and the Beast (Week 2)

101 - Inside Out (NEW)

88 - Terminator: Genisys (Week 2)

40 - Avengers: Age of Ultron (Week 3)

Combined:

4,058 - Hero 2 (NEW)

1,075 - The Boy and the Beast (Week 2)

998 - Pokemon XY: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (NEW)

969 - Inside Out (NEW)

650 - Terminator: Genisys (Week 2)

520 - Avengers: Age of Ultron (Week 3)

As expected, Hero 2 is way out in front largely due to its many, many stage greetings happening Saturday morning. It'll easily win Saturday, and likely the weekend unless it falls apart on Sunday.

Pokemon and Inside Out at the moment are neck and neck in terms of pre-sales. Hero 2 should comfortably lead the weekend while The Boy and the Beast should only drop to second place. Corpse has:

1. Hero 2

2. The Boy and the Beast

3. Inside Out, wins in gross

4. Pokemon, wins in admissions

5. Terminator Genisys

6. Avengers: Age of Ultron

I concur, ¥500 million seems to be the ceiling for both Inside Out and Pokemon: Last year's Pokemon film opened to about ¥480 million and seeing as this one has the marketing, story, and good early receptions going in for it, it might increase a little or stay flat.

• Like 1