Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

12 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Truth be told the Italian genre cinema died in the early eighties and these knock offs are a result of its decline , but fun nonetheless . Anyway we are at a time when a wimpy movie like this remake is being praised for having a black, an Asian, an Indian, a woman , a kid, a Martian ,e.t.c when fifty years ago there were westerns that were either hardcore anti-racist ( the big gundown) or extremely political (face to face, a bullet for the general e.t.c ) .

Yeah, stuff like After The Fall of New York and Bronx Warriors is pretty entertaining, if not incredibly dumb.

Personally having multi-racial leads is seen as a positive thing, because of the changing times, no doubt. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It looks although given Westerns are a hard sell OS, they're going to really have to rely on Washington and Pratt's star power to sell it. Considering the R rated Equalizer did $36m OW and ending up grossing $101m dom, I think M7 could do $40m+ OW and over $100m domestically. 

I wonder how that's gonna play with later trailers. For now it's definitely a two man show.

Denzel is clearly the lead, But Pratt appeals to certain demos that might not be into this otherwise. I think that combo is gonna elevate this beyond $100m (assuming reviews are decent-ish).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Thanks! I had no idea that he was in it.

I assumed that you meant that a character in the film was going to be LGBT, which would have been awesome. imo.

You can briefly see him in the trailer (he plays the murdered husband of Haley Bennett's character that sets the plot in motion).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think they're staying away from the theme which is smart. i don't like the idea of remakes playing with that sort of stuff. reinvent thyself. 

But..but..it's a great theme. ?If they don't want to re-use it they can still keep the basic melodies and modernise it or incorporate them with new music like what we have with TLR.

Anyway. I hope the movie itself turns out to be as fun and epic as the trailer looks.?

Edited by KATCH-2D2

2 hours ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

But..but..it's a great theme. ?If they don't want to re-use it they can still keep the basic melodies and modernise it or incorporate them with new music like what we have with TLR.

Anyway. I hope the movie itself turns out to be as fun and epic as the trailer looks.?

Whether they use the theme or not, I have really high expectations from the score, seeing as it's James Horner's final work. RIP :(

15 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It looks although given Westerns are a hard sell OS, they're going to really have to rely on Washington and Pratt's star power to sell it. Considering the R rated Equalizer did $36m OW and ending up grossing $101m dom, I think M7 could do $40m+ OW and over $100m domestically. 

The last two "blockbuster" westerns were True Grit and Django Unchained. They were equally big in US but they behaved differently OS. True Grit whch drew more from the american classic western imagery did mediocre numbers in most countries, but Django which was more of a spaggeti/leone descendant absolutely exploded in Europe. Leone's movies are some of the biggest hits of all time in Europe.

I think this looks fantastic. (Well I do seem to live in the one state that westerns make tons of money in, Lone Ranger was sold out like crazy out here even)

But yeah I do think this looks pretty good. (Too bad they didn't play the M7 score in the trailer, but having the classic song "House of the Rising Sun" was great anyway)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chewy said:

September release date is pretty smart I think

Sony have sort of made September their month for releasing animated films and alternative action films. They have 3 of the top 5 September opening and I imagine M7 will be the fourth.