filmscholar

BAD BOYS FOR LIF3 | Jan 17 2020 | IT'S OFFICIAL: #1 DOMESTIC 2020

5 hours ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

I think this is a brilliant move.  You can pencil it in for a 60 million opening.  As long as the trailers are good that is.  And if the film has any of the feel of the original, this will have terrific legs. Hoping for 60/155

I like that prediction. I'm going a bit higher, 65/170M.

BB2 was on the telly the other day. Dumb fun but way overlong. That car chase is insane tho.

• Like 3

Bummed that this isn't coming out next year. But with everything against each other next year, and sequelitis kickin' in this year(except a few exceptions) it's I guess an ok move. But January is a mixed bag, I would like to see this film do a profit since I really like Bad Boys & Bad Boys II(yes I think it's a really good fun sequel), Ride Along 1 numbers seem possible for this right now either way. Unless, Sony either has its marketing live or die on this one. 

• Like 1

This is about to be the biggest movie of Joe Carnahan's Career. He's never directed a 100 Million grosser. Though some were mixed on it, I loved "The Grey" as well as "Narc" which was well acted and directed.. "Smoking Aces" started good but didn't hold up to me as it ended. "A-Team" was just so so and didn't all the way capture the essence of the 80's classic. The other films he directed either weren't theatrically released or didn't pic up box office gross. He's also done a lot of television. Again I'm willing to give him a chance, I just hope he can make it his own film while understanding that it's still within Michael Bay's world. The action has to be instense period. He also has to let Will and Martin do there thing because they are both good with improv, espeically Martin.

DateTitle (click to view)StudioLifetime Gross / TheatersOpening / TheatersRank
1/27/12The GreyORF$51,580,2363,208$19,665,1013,18526/11/10
The A-TeamFox$77,222,0993,544$25,669,4553,53511/26/07
Smokin' AcesUni.$35,787,6862,219$14,638,7552,218312/20/02
NarcPar.$10,465,659822$63,30364

• Like 1

I'm not worried about January in terms of box office. I'm worried about it due to the quality of most films released in that time frame.

American Sniper was a little bit different as was The Revenant. Both had limited releases in December and were up for Golden Globes.

But how many good movies do you remember from January that were not already limited releases? It's pretty rare. 13 Hours was much better then I expected but before that I can only remember Cloverfield offhand.

It's a total dumping ground for bad movies...especially horror movies, which is why I'm worried about Friday The 13th too.

Ride Along 2 is not Bad Boys/Bad Boys II quality. I just want this to be fun because I've been waiting so long for this sequel. It is a summer movie.

I think Will and Marcus will still have great chemistry with each other and they better bring back The Captain *woosah*. I hope this one has another strong villain. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1