Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If you keep the budget low enough, it is almost impossible to lose money on a Horror film. There is a sizable core audience you can depend on. If there is a sure bet in the film industry, a low budget horror film is it;an investment that ,even if it is not a huge hit, is almost guarantted to get your money back, and stands a good chance of making a profit. It it can catch on with mainstream audiences a la "the Conjuring" you got a cash cow on your hands.

I admit that Shay's eagerness to display his total ignorance about the film business at every opportunity can prove entertaining. As his comments about "It" shows. For a film with no stars and a story which requires  almost nothing in the way of fancy effects 35 Milliion, well handled, is more then enough.

I'm not sure about that, I think that the tricks the Blumhouse trick and many other is to accept to have lost the planned budget money at the moment you spent it.

They will just not release the movie that do not test well, not try to do reshoot or fix anything, take the lost and try an other movie. By keeping the production budget small, accepting to have good chance too loose money on a particular movie and playing the odds by making a large amount of them and spending on a release only on those that test well and make a good margin on those, that is the trick.

I would imagine a vast percentage of horror movies loose money:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=horror&release_date=2015,2016&runtime=50,280&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc&title_type=feature

1,862 Horror feature film made in 2015 and 2016 with a runtime over 50 minutes, maybe 95% of them didn't made money, maybe most lost money.

What is really different than most costly genre is that we will not hear about the failures, almost all the failure will just never reach us media wise, versus the big budget affair that studios will always still put in theater and market even if they didn't turn out good.

Edited by Barnack

Man did this exceed my already high expectations. This seriously is my new favorite horror film. It had everything. Horror, humor, and heart plus I really felt like I was watching an Event film something I can't say for any other horror film. Sure a little part of me could have went without some changes made from  the book like Henry's death ? and keeping Victor and Belch out of the sewer but I also enjoyed that these changes helped keep me surprised by the way certain events played out. I'm already hyped for Part 2. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

NO!

(what didn't you like about it)

I'm not gonna post it now, it'll be a rant and I don't want to ruin those who liked it here. I'll post tomorrow in the RTM Thread.

(shrug) Idk, maybe I just have high standards.

Or maybe horror movies are truly dead.

• Sad 1

This is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. Almost everything about it is fantastic. It's genuinely scary, but it's surprisingly hilarious and the story has a lot of heart. One of the best set of teenage characters I've ever seen on film and they all work off each other really well. I never expected it to have this much heart and humor, so I was really surprised. The crowd LOVED it (this movie demands being seen in a crowded theater) and WOM will be sensational.

A

I'm confident in saying it'll be a classic in the horror genre. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, K1stpierre said:

Fuck. Fuck. I'm so fucking pissed right now. I wanted this to be so good, but it's really lame as fuck. I'm just really dissapointed right now.

I'll post my review tomorrow, I don't want to talk about it.

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear you didn't like it. :(

High expectations can generally lead to massive disappointment for any film. I'm going in with an open mind.

8 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I thought it was a good movie, but it wasn't scary at all :(

No, it wasn't at all. This Pats game is more terrifying than anything in IT.

1 minute ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

It's not about scary this about DISTURBING THINGS. And it works absolutely fucking amazing.

It wasn't even creepy or disturbing. It was just really awkward.