Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

I don't evaluate horror movies by how much they truly scare me; I recognize if imagery is satisfyingly gruesome and/or chilling without necessarily being freaked out by it. 

What generally annoys me about the genre is cheap tricks like loud music cues to force tension and characters being unsympathetic or making dumb decisions so they'll be easier to kill, which thankfully this movie mostly steers away from even if it is kind of messily plotted.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

On 18/09/2017 at 11:17 PM, Rman823 said:

The overall consesus with those around me is that even though they weren't scared (Horror films usually don't scare me anyway) they still thought it was a great movie. Plus while I may not have been scared there were moments where i felt disturbed and that's more than I can say for a lot of horror films these days.

And maybe that is part of the reason It isn't performing like a typical horror movie. At least one character in the film strikes a deep emotional chord with most members of the audience, which enables it to stay as an experience with you much longer than the typical fright film stuffed with funhouse jump scares and nuance lite characterizations. 

The main appeal for me regarding this story wasn't really the monster but the themes of childhood trauma and the relationships children share with their parents and how that impacts their relationships with each other. And this cast of kids is way superior to the one from the mini-series. No comparison whatsoever. Muschietti changing the "greatest fear representations" It appears as for the kids as reflections of their respective psychological issues as opposed to standard monster movie characters was also incredibly effective. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Jack Grazer struck me as the newcomer with the most potential. Really felt like someone who had broken out of his chains after he ran off from his mom.

Eddie has always been one of the characters I could most relate to in fiction and Jack Dylan Grazer absolutely killed it. Interested in seeing what he does in the future.

13 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

So glad you are liking it.  If you like it so far, you ain't read nothin yet lol.  You haven't even got to the kids yet.

As for the adult cast, I don't really have any preferences with the exception of Chastain as Bev and I'd love to see a really good looking dude play Ben.  Bradley cooper or Chris Pratt would be cool.

Chris Pratt is my choice for Ben. He's a good actor, and he used to be chubby himself so it works imo. I think Bryce Dallas Howard would be a good Bev, but I do believe chastain will get it. I wouldn't mind Joseph Gordon Levitt as Stan. He looks a lot like the kid who plays Stan. Maybe Chadwick boseman for Mike. Not sure who I envision playing the other 3. 

• Like 1

Evangeline Lilly or Deborah Ann Woll for Bev (Amy Adams fancasting is not gonna happen unless WB change their stance about casting movie actors at the cheapest cost). Can still see Chastain nabbing it because of Mama.

Don't really have any suggestions for the boys but people throwing names like Bale, Gyllenhaal, Pratt, Maguire make me laugh. Why not throw Nathan Fillion in the mix then since the Internet likes to shoehorn him in every fan casting fantasies? (WB wants cheap but not that cheap...:D)

The funniest thing would be casting Bill Skarsgard as adult Bill though.(I know he's only 27...He was born the same year as the mini-series aired. Creepy coincidence). He kinda looks like him all grown up.

Edited by dashrendar44

1 hour ago, cheesypoofs said:

Chris Pratt is my choice for Ben. He's a good actor, and he used to be chubby himself so it works imo. I think Bryce Dallas Howard would be a good Bev, but I do believe chastain will get it. I wouldn't mind Joseph Gordon Levitt as Stan. He looks a lot like the kid who plays Stan. Maybe Chadwick boseman for Mike. Not sure who I envision playing the other 3. 

I thought of Casey Affleck as Eddie. Is it just me?

• Like 1

anyone think Adam Scott could be Richie?  He obviously has done comedy before and dramas.  Just thinking he is in the age range too 

or maybe I was thinking for Eddie :P 

Edited by 75Live

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I also started reading the book yesterday, I'm already at page 200, and the only thing annoying me so far is the fact that the book doesn't follow a linear narrative, I would prefer to have a book divided in two chapters (kids/adults), like the movie is doing.

But, yeah, King is a master when it comes to building an atmosphere, the book -so far- is a lot darker than the movie, and I'm loving to get to know better Henry, his lack of development was one of my biggest complaints about the movie, he looked like just another random bad guy there, but the book is showing that there are a lot more behind him. Great reading so far!  

Not that you said any spoilers, but there is a book spoiler thread if you want to talk about the actual book. Baumer and I have been in there to chat with people about it :) 

• Like 2

I also started reading the book yesterday, I'm already at page 200, and the only thing annoying me so far is the fact that the book doesn't follow a linear narrative, I would prefer to have a book divided in two chapters (kids/adults), like the movie is doing.

But, yeah, King is a master when it comes to building an atmosphere, the book -so far- is a lot darker than the movie, and I'm loving to get to know better Henry, his lack of development was one of my biggest complaints about the movie, he looked like just another random bad guy there, but the book is showing that there are a lot more behind him. Great reading so far!  

2 hours ago, 75Live said:

anyone think Adam Scott could be Richie?  He obviously has done comedy before and dramas.  Just thinking he is in the age range too 

or maybe I was thinking for Eddie :P 

They could cast Seth green as Richie just for shits and giggles haha

• Haha 1