Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

23 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Letterboxd has a lot more reviews up - this new batch of responses are definitely more muted than the rest. [x]

Consensus seems to be a great cast lifts a fairly generic adaptation which is nevertheless still a lot of fun.

This is what I'm gathering from reading reviews:

The movie is a fun watch overall but has some potentially major issues depending on the viewer

Skarsgard and Wolfhard are the standouts among the cast

The humor is very well done and funny

The opinion on the scares seems to be mixed. Some are saying the film is too reliant on jumpscares and isn't scary, yet others say there aren't many scares but the ones that are there are good.

Character development is lacking, especially for the adult characters

The film doesn't spend enough time building up the town's atmosphere

The third act is very rushed and a departure from the first two

I'm still thinking this will end up certified fresh and not much more.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is what I'm gathering from reading reviews:

The movie is a fun watch overall but has some potentially major issues depending on the viewer

Skarsgard and Wolfhard are the standouts among the cast

The humor is very well done and funny

The opinion on the scares seems to be mixed. Some are saying the film is too reliant on jumpscares and isn't scary, yet others say there aren't many scares but the ones that are there are good.

Character development is lacking, especially for the adult characters

The film doesn't spend enough time building up the town's atmosphere

The third act is very rushed and a departure from the first two

I'm still thinking this will end up certified fresh and not much more.

The thing is, even the more critical 3.5star reviews end with statements about not wanting it to end or already planning to watch it again :

"Other than some misses, the film is an absolute joy to experience. It was like a thrilling amusement park ride I wanted to ride forever...."

"IT may not be a great film or perfect adaptation of the novel but it's a visual feast and one hell of a ride I plan to visit repeatedly."

and

"Overall though, I had a ton of fun with every moment, and already kinda want to see it again, if not just to spend time with that great cast fighting a great villain. Rating may go up as I lower expectations."

*Sorry for the black background to the text...direct copy and paste

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

The thing is, even the more critical 3.5star reviews end with statements about not wanting it to end or already planning to watch it again :

"Other than some misses, the film is an absolute joy to experience. It was like a thrilling amusement park ride I wanted to ride forever...."

"IT may not be a great film or perfect adaptation of the novel but it's a visual feast and one hell of a ride I plan to visit repeatedly."

and

"Overall though, I had a ton of fun with every moment, and already kinda want to see it again, if not just to spend time with that great cast fighting a great villain. Rating may go up as I lower expectations."

*Sorry for the black background to the text...direct copy and paste

Yeah, I'm glad this seems to be enjoyable at least. As long as the characters are likable enough I should give it a 7.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, I'm glad this seems to be enjoyable at least. As long as the characters are likable enough I should give it a 7.

Agreed, I'm not looking for this to match the book in character development and detail and I'm sure it will be missing parts of the story that were memorable to me.

As long as it's fun, has a scene or two that really knocks it out of the park, and delivers a quality Pennywise then I'm happy.  

• Like 3