The Sixth Sense

26 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Watching it the first time, I was aware of the twist and it only struck me as a good ghost movie. After a second viewing I can really appreciate how well the movies has been put together. It's perfect in its execution. But the most amazing thing about it is that this is the same guy who would 11 years later make The Last Airbender.A

Based on my experience and a few others, I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's less effective if you've heard of the big twist beforehand. I had, I thought it was part of the plot that the characters were aware of the whole time, and so when I realized that was the big twist at the end, I was underwhelmed.

But overall, it's a solid movie that succeeds in building a creepy atmosphere and zeroing in on the terror that young Cole experiences on a daily basis. It's also the best straight dramatic work Bruce Willis has done outside of Pulp Fiction, and his young co-star Haley Joel Osment gives one of the better performances from a child actor in the last fifteen years or so. It's too bad that most of M. Night Shyamalan's subsequent work has lacked much of the mojo on display here.

B+

Edited by Webslinger

I didn't know the twist going in, but, I figured it out pretty early into the film. However, the biggest testament I can give to the movie was it was still good regardless. It was great to see how much thought was gone into scenes such as the dinner with him thinking his wife was just ignoring him the whole time. It has a completely different meaning once you know what happens.

A-/B+

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

A. This movie is just perfect, and I remember when I went to see this in the theater, the big twist at the end, the oxygen was just sucked out of the room by all of the gasping. I would witness something like that happening only one more time, with the infamous "NO" from Rise of the Planet of the Apes.Several years later, I would finally realize that Donnie Walberg was in this. That ended up being a shock to me too!

Edited by Warhorse
  • Like 2

One of the finest movies ever made. Haley Joel Osment is brilliant. Good performances by Toni Colette and Bruce Willis. There are several memorable scenes. Scene at the dead girl's house, the scene after the play are superb. The exchange between HJO and TC in the car at the accident scene is one of the best ever. 

Shyamalan was at his best here.

A+

• Like 3

I don't care what anyone says - 15 year old me was BLOWN AWAY by this in 1999. And not just for the twist, it's a genuinely gripping bit of storytelling all the way through. I know it's de riguer to bash Shyamalan these days, but there's no denying the skill and efficiency on display. And yeah, Toni Colette's performance genuinely broke my heart in this. 

A cast iron classic from a wonderful year to be have been a young movie geek.

The Sixth Sense surprisingly still thrills even if you know the iconic twist going in. Willis does some of the best work of his career and Osment is really great as well, definitely coming into his own in the second half of the movie. The script in general is remarkable in both having realistic dialogue and being engaging both during the genre and more realistic parts of the film. Shyamalan's direction also knows when to let the emotion really hit and when to let the atmosphere take over. The emotional aspects of this film are really what make it special, more so than the well-done reveal at the end. The Sixth Sense stands up today as a remarkable thriller and a charming story between a boy and a man. B+

• Like 1

The movie is quite good all in all. 

The story is intresting, it gets you engaged and doesn't let you get bored for a minute. There are a few good thrilling moments and both of the characters are well crafted and likeable.

Of cource without the amazing twist the movie wouldn't have stood out quite as much. I admit, I was almost ready to get disapointed with the way it was coming to an end and then BANG.

A-

• Like 1