Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

I guess this will probably end Gunn's involement with Marvel Studios..he simply will not have the time with his new gig.

The report directily to Zaslev with out having to go through Warners Studios is huge and means a lot more indeprencence fot DC studios and puts them on a par with Marvel Studios in the company Table of Organization.

Yes...the contract apparently stipulates that directly -- either Variety or Deadline is claiming that Gunn cannot work for Marvel/possibly anyone else while he is under this 4-year Warner Bros./DC deal.  

This decision doesn't really enthuse me...but not much does that Warner Bros. does with DC, lately... and as one of my good friends just said...  "They can hardly do worse, at this point."  

Edited by Macleod

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Yes...the contract apparently stipulates that directly -- either Variety or Deadline is claiming that Gunn cannot work for Marvel/possibly anyone else while he is under this 4-year Warner Bros./DC deal.  

This decision doesn't really enthuse me...but not much does that Warner Bros. does with DC, lately... and as one of my good friends just said...  "They can hardly do worse, at this point."  

Moot Point really. Running a studio does not give you much time for other jobs.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Just because Gunn did good with Suicide Squad (and honestly it did bomb at the box office and got the same Cinemascore as the 2016 film) doesn’t mean his approach will be correct for all characters. We’ll see I guess 

We also don';t know how good an adminsitraor he is or how good at overseeing day to day operations. A lot of sucessful producers have failed when promoted to "Head of Production" or Studio Exec positions.

A lot of people focusing on Gunn and forgetting Safran. Gunn is the creative head, and Safran is the executive head.

Gunn will approve the scripts and hire the creative teams, and Safran will run the business side of the studio.

Safran can run a business and James Gunn knows a decent script. Gunn is filling the role that Snyder did at the start of the DCEU. If Snyder can give us Wonder Woman and Aquaman, I wouldn't be too worried about every Gunn movie being Peacemaker and The Suicide Squad. Gunn has more respect for the comics than that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i liked peacemaker, best DC/marvel show of the last few years (not that this means much), but man James Gunn's wife is awful in it and now she's about to be in all these things lol.

What? Harcourt is a great character! And I am just happy that we might be getting a Vigilante spin off. I mean the chances are higher now for that to happen that they were yesterday.

50 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The "fans" on twitter think he will add jokes to everything. Rock wasn't kidding about hierarchy of power in the DC universe changing though. :lol:

I think the fact that The Rock has said nothing about this today probably indicates he was blindsided and feels a bit put out.

If he were keen on it he'd be saying "I TOLD YOU THE HEIRARCHY WOULD CHANGE, SEE BLACK ADAM".

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

If James Gunn is on any non-DC projects, I assume he gives them up now b/c this will be a full time job...

Sad that this is the end of his run with Marvel. I bet they are kicking themselves they fired him but it’s the best thing that ever happened for his career.

1 hour ago, TheScarecrow said:

I think the fact that The Rock has said nothing about this today probably indicates he was blindsided and feels a bit put out.

If he were keen on it he'd be saying "I TOLD YOU THE HEIRARCHY WOULD CHANGE, SEE BLACK ADAM".

Why would he be put out by it? It’s not like he’d been lobbying for the job himself. BA opened decently despite the reviews, it’s not like Gunn/Safran are going to cancel plans for BA2, if anything it means that BA2 might be an improvement if Gunn casts his eyes over the script next time.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Sad that this is the end of his run with Marvel. I bet they are kicking themselves they fired him but it’s the best thing that ever happened for his career.

I doubt they are when they had successes with Coogler, Russos, Jon Watts and most recently Sam Raimi. They got Destin Daniel Cretton and Coogler for the next Avengers movies anyways.

12 hours ago, belblazer said:

#THEY are fuming with the news. We love to see it.

But DC fans have all loved the choices.

I'm tired of this division, and I agree with Grace that it only hurts the DCEU. But I don't forget that "the real DC fans" (the ones who don't like Snyder) supported Hamada's plan to make all DC films standalone, which was stupid and didn't work (in terms of box office), and they weren't able to give any DCEU movie a big opening weekend, which makes us question even how many "real DC fans" exist. I don't even need to talk about the response to the return of Snyder's Superman, or how the Snyder Cut was a major improvement over the Joss Whedon version, which "the real DC fans" also doubted would be the case. Way too many times the Snyder fans have been proven right, and in my opinion, it's pretty clear that they're the most significant portion of the DCEU fanbase and it's beyond stupid for WB to alienate them. 

With that said, I don't agree with the opinion of some of them about James Gunn running DC and I think we should give him a chance. I really liked his Suicide Squad film.

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Why would he be put out by it? It’s not like he’d been lobbying for the job himself. BA opened decently despite the reviews, it’s not like Gunn/Safran are going to cancel plans for BA2, if anything it means that BA2 might be an improvement if Gunn casts his eyes over the script next time.

This is what I was thinking as well, also, I’m sure Gunn had some input on BA already as well with Harcourt and Waller being in it. Not input as in overseeing anything but I’d assume they all have a decent relationship already.

But, if the rock is upset or blindsided by this situation I can’t really say I care. I liked BA and want to see more of the characters but the rock and has team have some serious quality control issues and we don’t need them going out and hiring terrible writers again for the next movie. A more collaborative relationship with Safran and Gunn would do them well imo. 

I’d also be a bit surprised if the Rock didn’t actually know this might happen cause apparently negotiations have been going on from around the time Dan Lin was being discussed. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I'm tired of this division, and I agree with Grace that it only hurts the DCEU. But I don't forget that "the real DC fans" (the ones who don't like Snyder) supported Hamada's plan to make all DC films standalone, which was stupid and didn't work (in terms of box office), and they weren't able to give any DCEU movie a big opening weekend, which makes us question even how many "real DC fans" exist. I don't even need to talk about the response to the return of Snyder's Superman, or how the Snyder Cut was a major improvement over the Joss Whedon version, which "the real DC fans" also doubted would be the case. Way too many times the Snyder fans have been proven right, and in my opinion, it's pretty clear that they're the most significant portion of the DCEU fanbase and it's beyond stupid for WB to alienate them. 

With that said, I don't agree with the opinion of some of them about James Gunn running DC and I think we should give him a chance. I really liked his Suicide Squad film.

Feels to me like this is a positive step in terms of moving on from the division. They need to move forward, not keep looking backwards to the choices of a film maker who hasn’t contributed to new storylines in half a decade. Snyder is in the past now, but the return of Cavill shows that people like Gunn/Safran are happy to embrace parts of what worked from Snyder’s films without being beholden to his divisive overall vision for DC.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 3