A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

32 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Was very surprised to find More than Blue at 8.6 Maoyan. Can someone with more expertise explain why it’s having a (mini) breakout anyway?

The way I see it is this - this film has around 7% of ratings being 2 stars or less, and that is not normal.

There are people who are purposely giving it Low scores for a variety of reasons; maybe 1) some people really hated it, or 2) Taiwan/ mainland China dispute (which blew up in the recent Golden Horse awards) caused some GA to rate it low or 3) fans of rival films which are also showing, are trying to drag this film down.

Do understand that Maoyan’s rating system can allow you to rate movies without even watching it, and the majority of the Low ratings seem to be from people who, as the system says, “has not purchased a ticket”.

great thing is WoM on the street is good, so scores doesn’t matter. There are films with slightly better scores, with below average word of mouth.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe it is a bad time to ask in the middle of Captain Marvel's amazing run... But with Green Book, Deadpool2 and now Bohemian Rhapsody, is the Chinese government becoming more tolerant of foreign movies with LGBT characters or themes? Or was there never any real censorship?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Maybe it is a bad time to ask in the middle of Captain Marvel's amazing run... But with Green Book, Deadpool2 and now Bohemian Rhapsody, is the Chinese government becoming more tolerant of foreign movies with LGBT characters or themes? Or was there never any real censorship?

No. I read on Gavin's twitter that they censored anything related to LGBT on Bohemian Rhapsody.

Edited by Heroicpiglet
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

More than Blue finally getting the amount of showtimes it deserved, with just circa 5% more showtimes, it is getting 2x CM's box office today.

For a low budget Taiwanese romance movie, it is really breaking all expectations. Wow.

Yeah, thankfully the early success was rewarded with a suitable amount of showtimes. It would have been a shame to see it hamstrung by that. 

Also regarding More Than Blue,  while the discussion here is primarily focused on how foreign movies are doing in China, there is still a domestic audience that wants to go and watch good quality Mandarin language movies. It's just a running joke about whether there are any good ones to go and watch! 

More importantly,  you have the female audience (and any other fans of this genre) which isn't being catered to by any other movie in the top 10 right now.

Also, let's not forget that Ivy Chen is a credible actress in her own right AND popular with the target demographic, which gets the film some attention off the bat. 

Throw in excellent word of mouth on social media and it's really a recipe for success. Not even too surprising IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

The way I see it is this - this film has around 7% of ratings being 2 stars or less, and that is not normal.

There are people who are purposely giving it Low scores for a variety of reasons; maybe 1) some people really hated it, or 2) Taiwan/ mainland China dispute (which blew up in the recent Golden Horse awards) caused some GA to rate it low or 3) fans of rival films which are also showing, are trying to drag this film down.

Do understand that Maoyan’s rating system can allow you to rate movies without even watching it, and the majority of the Low ratings seem to be from people who, as the system says, “has not purchased a ticket”.

great thing is WoM on the street is good, so scores doesn’t matter. There are films with slightly better scores, with below average word of mouth.

Seeing you post makes me register for an account here, hahaha

True that the reaction for the film is really bipolar

I have watched the film, 7% of rating being 2 stars or less seems fair to me, and I honestly expect higher low score as I really hate it.

I guess for people who hate the film with passion, giving a 1-star or 2-star is a no brainer, and if I can, I would give it a negative star.

Reason 2 and 3 does not seem like the reason behind of the low score.

WOM is not that good, the score of Douban is really low. But the marketing company did mobilized a lot of KOL to promote the film and encouraged people to go watch it. I guess that worked.

By the way, marketing companies would also pay for some companies to help them get higher score in social media. It's really common in China, as well as Hong Kong.

4 hours ago, jc-bartleby said:

Seeing you post makes me register for an account here, hahaha

True that the reaction for the film is really bipolar

I have watched the film, 7% of rating being 2 stars or less seems fair to me, and I honestly expect higher low score as I really hate it.

I guess for people who hate the film with passion, giving a 1-star or 2-star is a no brainer, and if I can, I would give it a negative star.

Reason 2 and 3 does not seem like the reason behind of the low score.

WOM is not that good, the score of Douban is really low. But the marketing company did mobilized a lot of KOL to promote the film and encouraged people to go watch it. I guess that worked.

By the way, marketing companies would also pay for some companies to help them get higher score in social media. It's really common in China, as well as Hong Kong.

You agreed the reaction is bipolar, so if lots of people love it as passionately as you hating it, there would be a lot of positive word of mouth too.

I've seen it too and found it incredibly touching, as did many of the audience who were using lots of tissues to dry their tears :(

It's not a fair assessment to say the people watching it are because they were mobilised by KOLs. As has been said previously, it did well in other markets before the China release, good WOM travelled from there too. I believe it can stand on it's own feet as a movie which came out at the right time, attracted a neglected audience and was well received by a large enough proportion of them. 

Edited by RaidensSword
Rewording

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Regardless of your opinion on the film, shouldn't we be celebrating something other than an established movie IP hitting the mark? 

Yes. I said it other day, that I love such runs but when I watch the film and it don't impress me, that kind of turn into nuisance.

One side of me will be rooting for that to happen though 

20 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Why not? It's a great film.

Because it is trash and we don't need more films like this. I would rather take another non-IP film than the mediocre trash that Bohemian Rhapsody was.

16 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Regardless of your opinion on the film, shouldn't we be celebrating something other than an established movie IP hitting the mark? 

At the same time, you will also be celebrating that a film directed by a pedophile molester (with his name in the credits) is making a billion dollars. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RaidensSword said:

You agreed the reaction is bipolar, so if lots of people love it as passionately as you hating it, there would be a lot of positive word of mouth too.

I've seen it too and found it incredibly touching, as did many of the audience who were using lots of tissues to dry their tears :(

It's not a fair assessment to say the people watching it are because they were mobilised by KOLs. As has been said previously, it did well in other markets before the China release, good WOM travelled from there too. I believe it can stand on it's own feet as a movie which came out at the right time, attracted a neglected audience and was well received by a large enough proportion of them. 

I seriously hate it with a passion 😄

The entire story is problematic, the male and female protagonists are horrible selfish people who hurt everyone around them in the name of "unconditional" love.

When I watched it, I just kept think WTF?!!!

Anyway, the marketing company did a lot, and did well too. They had lots of actors and KOLs (one of them is Hu Ge, the Chinese actor who has 60m followers on Weibo)