Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

The first movie was normally something I should have adored but too many elements didn t work.

It was still an incredible ILM achievement but the asthetics choice, all night, all rainy or under the water made the action very difficult to follow most of the time except for the big fight in the city. The final scene in the kaijus underworld was CGI mashed potatoes.

The characters worked barely save for the father daughter relationship that was very cute and well done, great flashback during the drift.

The two scientists were fraking annoying.

But my biggest complain is that you never felt the doom of this world, something about the tone of the movie was off. You felt the doom in Godzilla for example.

The world building, designs of the robots, kaijus, the drift thing and their armors, all the production design was glorious but that s Del Toro s thing. To me he really is a designer first.

I don t know if there is anything to add to this story.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

I honestly thought the first movie was awful.  Just...really, really bad.  Oddly enough, I do think the whole world that was set up could be interesting if done right.  I mean, the idea is there...just the execution was so off. 

What made it REALLY, REALLY bad?

Say what now :rofl: US maybe, but WW? It's not even a comparison. And they count on WW grosses. But I want Hunnam back. He nailed the role.

I agree, Hunnam really nailed it. His character was dull and had no chemistry with his partner, and man, did he deliver. I totally bought all of those aspects of his character.

• Like 5