Captain America: The First Avenger

60 members have voted

1. 1. Review Captain America: The First Avenger

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

My 2nd favorite 2011 film behind Super 8. Great film and one of the best superhero films. Contrary to what critics thought I thought this was better then Thor. (I really saw no complaints though in the real world)Love the score as well-intresting that this was one of the most crowded films I have seen this year (I think only Pirates was more crowded this year)A

Same here, I thought this was better than Thor as well. Thor, well, I just think Natalie Portman's character was annoying, and she herself was miscast.But Captain America, excellent performance from Chris Evans, and the rest, also held onto their own. The Avengers is going to be one hot ass movie!CA gets an A.

As someone who has (shamefully) never seen a Steven Spielberg film at a theater, I imagine it'd be a lot like the experience I had with Captain America. I had a grin on my face throughout the entire film, and its hokey adventure-serial tone was perfect for its source material. My favorite "blockbuster" of the year.

A-

• Like 1

Bland and boring, terribly executed villain, but the scenes between Captain America and Peggy are absolute gold. The climax was also a let down, but I was very moved when Steve was falling to the ocean and telling Peggy they would have to reschedule their date. That REALLY helped the film.

B-

Didn't like the fight montage and the final scene. Thought it felt rushed. But I absolutely loved the period feel and the acting. Halee Atwell is adorable and Chris Evans is hot. I also liked Dominic Cooper as the elder Stark. I give it a b+

In the Super Hero genre, it was quite well done. It had the 1940's (or 20's), feel to it. I definitely enjoyed the first half. I thought the opposition was a bit cheesy and some of Captain America's teammates with the forced french jokes and the other bar brawler with the 'stache ... corny. First half and other parts ... A ... many parts an F. But a solid B overall. IMO.

• Like 1

As someone who has (shamefully) never seen a Steven Spielberg film at a theater, I imagine it'd be a lot like the experience I had with Captain America. I had a grin on my face throughout the entire film, and its hokey adventure-serial tone was perfect for its source material. My favorite "blockbuster" of the year.

A-

"GASPS" Whenever it is re-released out into the theaters, you have to see at least Jurassic Park, and if possible, perhaps Close Encounters of the Third Kind. These two are my favorites from him, as well as Jaws, but Jaws is just as good on the small screen as the big one, although I did get a chance to view it at an anniversary showing.

Wow, the first hour of this was so promising and then it just completely fell apart. People warned me of that and I didn't believe it could nosedive so hard, but it did. I loved the first half. They got the tone, with the period setting and Captain's origin story just right... it was really spot on how an origin story should be.But then the second half, jesus, it went downhill at exactly the point I took a break from watching it- right when he goes to rescue his friends behind enemy lines. The villain was outrageous and ridiculous in a totally nonthreatening way. All of this futuristic blue lasers evaporating people seemed to come out of nowhere and was completely out of place with the more realistic period setting of the first half, and the whole struggle between Cap A and the "villian" became an incoherent mess. Not to mention, and I know I like my movies gritty and with an edge, but for such a "I'm a patriot, blah blah" kind of hokey character... it was a little jarring to see Captain America murdering enemy soldiers with no qualms- you know, shooting them, grenading them, and the like. I don't know, it just seemed out of character. And then that ending- it was confusing, completely anticlimatic, and IMO terrible. One of the worst endings I've seen all year.5.5/10 [C]-- it gets points for the first half but could have been a lot better.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM
  • Like 1

Bland director and bland star usually makes a bland movie. It was reasonably entertaining for what it was, but what it was wasn't much. You can see every single plot development coming from ten miles away, and the movie does nothing particularly interesting either story or style wise. The supporting cast was mostly good though, and it was still pretty watchable.

B-

Finally bought the BD; I never saw this in theaters because it was only offered in 3D.First, I'm a big Rocketeer fan. Joe Johnston was the right man for this material, no doubt here. But Rocketeer was a much more "comicy" film; in CA they tried to make it a war film, with more grit, real dying and so on - even giving Steve a not-too-laughable background story - , and while this is of course demanded by the source material, it simply doesn't come together as lighthearted and effortless as Rocketeer. They even cast a similar love interest, but where Jenny in Rocketeer had every reason to dress as fine as she could and put on her war paint and simply be as glamourous as possible, Peggy in CA stood out like a sore thumb, especially among all those GIs. (btw, the scene with the Blonde kissing Steve was uncalled-for, cheesy and you knew it from the moment they introduced her - only to drop her character 2min later after she had set him up)Visually, it worked even if some fx looked rushed (the attack on the train). The sets were good, many excellent props - art department did a fine job. The fights were - ok, I guess, those were soldiers and no martial arts artists; still, a bit bland. The scene where Steve rides his solo attack on Hydra HQ was badly choreographed, but most other action scenes worked.I liked Chris Evans, and TLJ is good in whatever he does. Hugo Weaving - again, i did not understand why they went so over-the-top with him if what they were aiming for was realism. Or, if they wanted the comic look with RedSkull and GlamourPeggy, why shoot a war film? In Rocketeer we had Nazis too but they kept the war out; here we have a film that tries to be two films at the same time and it doesn't work that good. I'm not even sure if the director is to blame; CA is from the start a very outdated character and one has to ask if the decision to bring him to the big screen was sensible in the first place. And they should have put some humor in ... the only real good line was TLJ's "I'm not kissing you!"However, I'm looking forward to the Avengers, Chris Evans did a charming performance which might work much better in a non-war environment.B-

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 1