The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

73 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Empire Strikes Back

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Have you ever wanted to buy something at a store  and the cashier says that will be $75.  You hand them a $50 bill and say "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further."

that would probably only work if you were actually Darth Vader. :P

• Like 3

The greatest sequel of all time, The Empire Strikes Back takes what made Star Wars great, and expands on it by focusing on the characters more than the scope. Leia gets the short end of the stick, but Han and Luke are basically co-leads in two parallel plotlines that feel innovative for 1980, and unusual even for today. Two iconic characters are introduced: Yoda, in a much more reserved and sophisticated characterization than I remembered, and my all time favorite Star Wars character, Lando Calrissian. He's so freaking cool. The end fight between Luke and Vader is an all-timer, not just because of the infamous reveal, but because of how brutal the fight feels compared to other lightsaber battles. The use of stop motion in the special effects is really neat, particularly in the opening fights on Hoth. John Williams innovates yet again with another iconic theme, and the script is the best this franchise has ever had, mixing poignancy with Luke and Yoda, humor with C3PO and Chewy, and romance with Han and Leia, all to perfection. I called it the greatest sequel of all time earlier, and I definitely feel comfortable calling The Empire Strikes Back one of the greatest films of all time. A+

• Like 7

On 2014年12月19日 4:25:44, 33Legend said:

Have you ever wanted to buy something at a store  and the cashier says that will be $75.  You hand them a $50 bill and say "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further."

"I found your lack of bargaining power disturbing."

• Like 1

So I finally this for the first time, great movie! Actually liked it more than A New Hope. I've only seen episodes 1-4 prior to this, but I saw the Empire on tuesday night, and tonight (thursday) bout to watch Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi. My cousin told me the order to watch the movies, and you pretty much skip the 1st one. The order goes:

1. A New Hope

2. Attack of the Clones (Honestly, the last 45 minutes or so was pretty much the only part of the movie that was worth it).

3. Empire Strikes Back

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. Return of the Jedi

Pretty much going back and forth between the prequels and the original trilogy. 

Anyway, I give this an A.