A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

In this day and age, bad reviews is probably enough to impact the opening weekend. I remember tracking for Fantastic Four '15 came in for a $50M opening and then the toxic reviews came in and it flopped.

Fantastic 4 's OW tracking was at 50 million at some point???? :huh:

42 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Yeah, if it's what I think it is I'm surprised at how liberal they're being in revealing the movie's general arc.

The IGN review just say it's such a big part of the movie that you can't talk about it without saying it. It's apparently also not really a twist ('except it was hidden by marketing) but something that happens at the beginning

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shaldun said:

The IGN review just say it's such a big part of the movie that you can't talk about it without saying it. It's apparently also not really a twist ('except it was hidden by marketing) but something that happens at the beginning

Oh, didn't realize it happened that soon. Very misleading marketing if so... and we all know how much audiences like being fooled by marketing.

$40 million OW (boxoffice.com's estimate was $38 million, which doesn't seem too unrealistic as of now), and 2.5x legs would give it $100 million...

Holiday movies do well due to quality, but Joy still got 3x+ legs. 

It could make it past $100 million, unless OW tanks 

Hmm...what will have a greater affect on the public eye? A Green Tomato from the internet or two of the prettiest people trapped in space? I'm beginning to suspect the members of this forum are comprised of RT critics that they place such importance on the RT score. RT score might not even be in the top 10 influential factors for this movie's success.

• Like 3

Just now, UrosepsisFace said:

Hmm...what will have a greater affect on the public eye? A Green Tomato from the internet or two of the prettiest people trapped in space? I'm beginning to suspect the members of this forum are comprised of RT critics that they place such importance on the RT score. RT score might not even be in the top 10 influential factors for this movie's success.

All of this. 

• Like 2

A big issue in the reviews seems to be the misleading trailers. I read the plot a long time ago so obviously I knew about the "twist" (It's not really a twist because it's presented outright) but the trailers did their best to hide it. 

• Like 1

Just now, UrosepsisFace said:

At this time of year, when there's a lot of movies fighting for people's dollars, being a good movie is somewhat of a required entity (unless you're a comedy, then it's easy to let them off the hook). Otherwise, good luck to you finding an audience.

Wow. This is much worse than I imagined. 

Could these reviews benefit Rogue One, Sing, or Assassin's Creed's box office? I know most people didn't expect $200m+ for this, but going from $150m-ish to possibly sub-$100m is a lot of unspent money. Could it go to the other 300-pound sci-fi/adventure elephant in the room, the big animated family blockbuster, or the wild card depending on reviews?

4 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

But it's presumably getting bad reviews because it's shit. Non-critic WOM exists too, and it hits drama hard.

Edited by Hatebox

2 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

They weren't in space but that didn't help The Tourist with Depp and Jolie -  arguably much bigger & prettier stars then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Which is an interesting argument, but would people really pay $15+ for a bad movie, when they can just wait for it on Netflix/home video? 

The movies with bad reviews but high BO usually have some must-see/hype factors involved

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

Wow. This is much worse than I imagined. 

Could these reviews benefit Rogue One, Sing, or Assassin's Creed's box office? I know most people didn't expect $200m+ for this, but going from $150m-ish to possibly sub-$100m is a lot of unspent money. Could it go to the other 300-pound sci-fi/adventure elephant in the room, the big animated family blockbuster, or the wild card depending on reviews?

I think people are underestimating Why Him?. It's the only comedy this holiday season, it's getting a pretty significant ad push, and the reviews are actually acceptable for this kind of movie. $80M+ isn't impossible.