baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

My 2nd viewing was not as good as the first one.

Same. I'd keep my rating at a B+ nonetheless.

I was in the tiniest theater today. Maybe had 90 seats total and I was 15 minutes earlier and still had to sit in the front. Not the most pleasant experience with a bunch of flashing lights and quick movement.

Entertaining and mostly satisfying with good performances from Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto and that scene between the two was nearly as good as that in WoK. However, overall I didn't think it was as good ST09 and didn't really care for what they did with that ending. Still, it was a good way to spend 2+ hours.

Right now, although I could lower it...

****/*****, (B+, 8.0/10, 3.25/4)

Best movie of the Summer so far, IMO.

By a landslide.

I had a fucking blast and the movie is satisfying on every front : acting, characters, story, visual spectacle ( sfx, designs, set-pieces), heart & emotion.

I am now a Cumberbatch believer, I wouldn't even call him a villain in this movie, just a soldier who protects his kind.

And that bro-mance between Spock and Kirk made me teary to say the least.

My only gripe maybe is that there wasn't enough Zoe and the blonde chick was meh ( visuals & acting).

I had goosebumps when Kirk says the famous Star Trek intro lines with the Alexander Courge score.

A+ Bitches.

Most satisfying blockbuster for me since Avengers.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

It lacks charm ^ 

Everything is there but you dont feel as much for the characters as in 09. 

Highly subjective.

I teared up in this one, not in ST'09.

Was way more engaged with the characters.

• Like 1

IMO, nothing in STiD tops ST09 prologue with Kirk Sr sacrifice/Kirk jr birth in terms of emotion (Thanks to Giacchino's Labor Of Love that knocked that scene out of the ballpark). Khan's monologue about his family crew and Kirk's death try hard but don't reach that peak.(Because of Khan's shoddy backstory when you're supposed to feel his anger for his people but never showed and Kirk's magical resuscitation that borrows any kind of levity to his sacrifice)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

IMO, nothing in STiD tops ST09 prologue with Kirk Sr sacrifice/Kirk jr birth in terms of emotion (Thanks to Giacchino's Labor Of Love that knocked that scene out of the ballpark). Khan's monologue about his family crew and Kirk's death try hard but don't reach that peak.(Because of Khan's shoddy backstory when you're supposed to feel his anger for his people but never showed and Kirk's magical resuscitation that borrows any kind of levity to his sacrifice)

Give it 8.5 out of 10.. My 2nd favorite film of the year... :). Thought it lacked a lil of the crew comradry that made the first such a hit, but  its a great film..ST09 is definitely a better film overall. This one is a great  sequel though.

I caught STiD in theater again yesterday. Even though the problems that I have with the movie that were mentioned in my first review are still there, surprisingly, I found it more enjoyable the second time around. It's like with ST09, the crew interactions and chemistry really sell it for me. 

Definitely buying the DVD/Bluray when it comes out  :)

• Like 1