Neo

The Fate of the Furious | 4.14.2017

On 2/17/2017 at 11:30 AM, Alli said:

The Dark Knight Rises dropped 100M from the predecessor and that had a lot more hype.  i wouldn't be surprised by a bigger drop for f8

85m drop. ~16%

Which isn't too bad, historically speaking, for a sequel to a mega blockbuster. I've got a spreadsheet of them, but it's messy and hasn't been updated in a couple years.

Still, if we're looking at followups to 350m films, only one at the time I last updated had managed to increase: Catching Fire. The best drops were for Spider-Man (both sequels fell less than 10% from the preceding films), and Transformers 3, which had a drop around 12%. Then it's TDKR's 16%. Everything else (Shrek 3, AOTC, Mockingjay 1, Pirates 3, Transformer 4, and The Lost World) all dropped by over 20%.

If F8 drops like at Spidey, we'll see it finishing above 315m. If it's like TDKR or Transformers 3, it'll be around 300m. Most likely, it'll be in the 20-30% range, though, which would mean a total around 250-280, 

• Like 1

This will be the next Gone with the Wind. I can feel it!

In all seriousness, in combination with a drop-off from the sequel, that'll cause a significant drop for DOM, imo since there will be fewer run times. Assuming it's true, ofc

Edited by franfar