Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

9 hours ago, George Parr said:

That comparison makes no sense at all. Song of the South has never seen a home video release in the USA, and that's quite a few decades by now.  On the opposite end, there would be nothing awkward about having Indiana Jones on streaming. There are zero similarities between these movis.

There's also a major difference between "refusing to acknowledge the existance" and what Disney is actually doing: not releasing it again. There is nothing that forces a studio to constantly re-release all of their movies on all sorts of platforms.

I never said Disney should be forced to re-release the movie. I’m saying that they’ve avoided re-releasing Song of the South for a reason. The Indiana Jones movies are problematic themselves for a number of reasons. I’m not even suggesting that Disney would want to lock them in a vault or something. I’m just saying that having them on Disney+ would strike me as awkward, since they haven’t aged particularly well in many regards. 

On 9/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, SpiderByte said:

I'd also expect that we get news, either this week or in the coming months, about Disney buying the streaming licenses for the previous 4 movies. Because it's definitely gonna happen, question is how soon before 5 comes out that they do it.

That would be money that Disney would have to throw down the drain for marketing reasons. They wouldn't get the money back from such an acquisition. Indy movies have already made 90%+ of the money they'll make in the Supply Chain (probably 99%+).

No one will sign up to Disney+ because Indy 1-4 are on it. No one will sign up to Paramount+ because Indy 1-4 are on it. They are value adds, for sure, but not the reason anyone would sign up for the service.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:42 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Eh, Paramount would probably rather keep the 4 films on Paramount+.

Also this. Paramount does not have to sell at fair market value. They do not have to sell at all.

On 9/5/2022 at 10:53 AM, SpiderByte said:

Except they don't make money on 5, and they would make money on a licensing deal for the other 4.

Paramount does make money on 5. 

On 9/5/2022 at 6:53 PM, SpiderByte said:

Except they don't make money on 5, and they would make money on a licensing deal for the other 4.

In order to get the Indiana Jones film rights from Paramount, Disney agreed to give Paramount some type of profit participation on any future Indiana Jones movies that Disney makes. The amount of the participation is undisclosed, so no one can say whether it would be more or less than what Paramount would make by licensing the first 4 films to a 3rd party streaming service. However, Paramount does make some money from Indiana Jones 5.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

A. It is set in the 1960's

B. Seems to Toht was killed about as much as a charecter can be killled in Raiders.

To quote another recent Lucasfilm property... "No one's ever really gone..."  

Spoiler

And uh...ever heard of time travel?  😉

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Eric-occhio said:

So annoying Everything Everywhere didn't come out earlier. Imagine the Indy/Shortround adventure we could have gotten

If they’re going to continue with these movies after Harrison Ford is done with them, they should seriously consider a grown up Short Round spin off with him following in Indy’s footsteps as an explorer. Ke Huy Quan is great, and given the reaction that this picture is getting on Twitter, it feels like the fans would be supportive of it.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:49 AM, WittyUsername said:

I never said Disney should be forced to re-release the movie. I’m saying that they’ve avoided re-releasing Song of the South for a reason. The Indiana Jones movies are problematic themselves for a number of reasons. I’m not even suggesting that Disney would want to lock them in a vault or something. I’m just saying that having them on Disney+ would strike me as awkward, since they haven’t aged particularly well in many regards. 

Care to elaborate on any of this?

18 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Care to elaborate on any of this?

For one, most of the “Middle Eastern” people in the first movie are actually white people in brownface. Then you have the depiction of Indian culture in Temple of Doom, which has been talked about ad nauseum. 

On another note, Indy canonically first got involved with Marion when she was a teenager (15 to be exact), which the first movie actually alludes to. 

To be clear, I’m aware that the Indiana Jones movies are meant to be silly throwbacks to the pulp movies that Steven Spielberg and George Lucas grew up on, which may help explain some of these things. I’m just saying that they don’t fit particularly well with the squeaky clean image that Disney always tries so hard to project. 

Edited by WittyUsername