A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

WARNER BROSClimbing to $585m internationally, The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug recorded a $10.9m weekend from its 5,800 screens. Its leading overseas market is Germany, where the fantasy sequel added $2m in its sixth weekend for $84m to date. The film opens in China on February 21st and Japan on February 28th.

• Like 1

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $248,695,000  29.8%Foreign:  $585,000,000  70.2% = Worldwide:  $833,695,000

AUJ:  $287.4M+$632.2 m=$919.6 million (-86m)

Just for the record, without Japan, AUJ was at 614 in this point and finished with 714, so if nothing strange happens, DOS should be able to do another 90-100 million OS from now. Adding 260 from US, it should finish with 935-945.

Byebye 950mil.

Hope the final one will back to 1bil.

If I am WB, I am happy with the gross

AUJ: 1.017bil

DoS: 0.93bil

TABA: 1bil

= 2.95bil for a book that supposed to be made into a single film.

well it cost lot more than 1 film. Plus they had to pay marketing for 3 films. So overall very profitable but no where as good as LOTR series. But I guess that was expected. 

well it cost lot more than 1 film. Plus they had to pay marketing for 3 films. So overall very profitable but no where as good as LOTR series. But I guess that was expected.

They need to spend extra marketing effort for TABA to break 1.05bil, that’s still lower than Return of the King. WB should have kniwn this money is needed to sacrifice, dun think the final chap factor will make it over 1.1bil.

Germany (and more generally Northern Europe countries) are always big on Middle-earth movies. Tolkien is very known there, he was inspired by their myths to create his world so I suppose it's logic. 

Without the US big drop, it would have big chances to hit 1B WW. All is the fault of Americans who prefer Katniss to Bilbo  :P