Films

Thurs numbers Gravity 1.4M (make a separate thread for Fri #s)

Legs doesn't equal quality.

Well, actually it does.  Legs means people are enjoying it.  Quality is subjective so legs are a great way to define what quality is.  The aim of a film is to appeal to the paying customer.  Legs is a great barometer for determining that.

• Like 5

My big fat Greek weeding had 80x legs from 3 million wide opening and few people think it is a masterpiece... I know: a 77 million OW is not comparable to a 3 million OW, but what I mean is that numbers do not fix if a movie is good or bad. I do not consider Avatar a bad movie, but it is not THAT GOOD movie in order to have reached that amount of money. It is obvious that 3D revolution was decisive to get what it did and that is a James Cameron merit, but if we remove the technological revolution, the movie is, IMHO, one blockbuster more.

Correction, few people under the age of 30 think it's a masterpiece.  Those of us who saw it, related to it and subsequently loved it, do think it's a masterpiece.  

• Like 1

Now we're talking semantics.  I'm just saying that MBFGW nailed the story so well that those of us who could relate to it were telling all of our friends and family to see it.

Now we're talking semantics.  I'm just saying that MBFGW nailed the story so well that those of us who could relate to it were telling all of our friends and family to see it.

Dude, don't I know it. My mom never goes to the movies anymore, and that's one that we all saw together. (It helps that she's Greek, so we all laughed our asses off, because it's basically spot on in terms of stereotypes -- played very broadly, of course).

• Like 2

Yes, exactly.  My wife...errrr...ex wife is Portuguese.  We saw it with her mom, who doesn't even speak English that well and then she went to see it with some cousins and friends.  It really hit a market that was ripe to be picked out.

• Like 2

Who gives a shit if some consider it a masterpiece or not, when you have the "Highest Grossing Film of all time" title. I mean, how many films in the human history had ever held that title before? Less than 10. And how many films had some moviegoers or critics calling them "masterpiece"? You get a ton of them every year.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 7

Correction, few people under the age of 30 think it's a masterpiece.  Those of us who saw it, related to it and subsequently loved it, do think it's a masterpiece.

My apologies. I did not want to disparage any movie. I was already over 30 when I saw MBFGW and I consider it just an average movie. But I think this is a sterile discussion (my mistake because I have contributed to it). It is obvious all of us have our own tastes and many people went to see Avatar or My big fat Greek wedding and they liked and I did not, and I like other movies and other people do not like. Tastes. I was just trying to understand and give a reason why Avatar was so liked, but it is probably that many people will think and say the same about Gravity.

As vc2002 has said, all of us have in mind tons of masterpieces, but at the end the popularity is defined by money and that ranking is not debatable.

Said this, I am really curious to see what numbers can manage Gravity :bouncy:

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1