Neo

Pan | Oct. 9, 2015 | New Trailer on Page 25!

I know someone who worked on this movie's VFX at MPC (He worked on the shots featuring CG boat models). That must be deflating to know that all your hard work get flushed in the toilet and the movie you worked on get panned all around.

Critics are mainly trashing the movie's writing. Your friend can be glad that he had nothing to do with that.

Edited by Mojoguy

Critics are mainly trashing the movie's writing. Your friend can be glad that he had nothing to do with that.

Of course, he got nothing to do with that. But most don't give a crap about the quality of the visuals when the movie sucks all around. You'd prefer working on shots that aren't part of a mess but enhanced the experience of a well-crafted movie. On your resume, you'd rather say that you worked on Inside Out and Fury Road rather than F4 or Pan even if you got no control on the end result as your work represents a tiny percentage of the whole endeavour. Thankfully, the VFX industry doesn't think like that to assign job offers and separate the actual work (that might be amazing) from the whole (that could be a turd).

I like Joe Wright but it seem WB had too much faith giving him a huge budget when the previous biggest budget he has had as a director was $60m for The Soloist.  And who says the failure of the movie is Wright's fault?
I'm all too willing to put the blame on him

There are stories of great movies being taken away from their directors and ruined by the studio. I doubt Pan is one of them.

Like with F4, my theory is that whatever the director's original vision, if that was what was put up on screen it wouldn't have done much better. Maybe it might have gotten better reviews (but a lot of the insane stuff must have been there during principal photography too, so I am actually not sure), but it still wouldn't have turned it from a $15m OW into a $50m OW.

• Like 1

There are stories of great movies being taken away from their directors and ruined by the studio. I doubt Pan is one of them.

Like with F4, my theory is that whatever the director's original vision, if that was what was put up on screen it wouldn't have done much better. Maybe it might have gotten better reviews (but a lot of the insane stuff must have been there during principal photography too, so I am actually not sure), but it still wouldn't have turned it from a $15m OW into a $50m OW.

In situations like this and FF, it's the studio trying to salvage the film. With FF, it was basically had to be reshot again, with Pan which I imagine is nowhere near the same situation, I imagine the execs from WB saw the unfinished film and realised it hadn't turned out the way they have envisioned and just had to work with what they had. 

I actually quite enjoyed it. Went in with lowered expectations and thought it was a more than fine film for all the family. Occasionally it's really quite something. Solid stuff.

A lot of the reviews are like 'why did we need a prequel to Peter Pan?'. Going in with that attitude, it's no wonder they picked at it.

It's a million times better than Fantastic Four. I expect good word of mouth from audiences that haven't been put off by quite a cynical critical reaction. I say this as someone who largely loathes Spielberg's Hook, and I'm his biggest fan.

The pans that the writing of this film has gotten make me nervous for Wonder Woman. :(

I assume WB must have thought Fuchs had potential when they hired him for Wonder Woman and TBH the first script often doesn't resemble what goes on screen since they're usually rewritten with input from the director. 

• Like 1

David Koepp wrote both Jurassic Park, and The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio wrote both Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, and The Lone Ranger.

Akiva Goldsman won Best Adapted Screenplay for A Beautiful Mind, and also wrote Batman & Robin.

Edited by TServo2049