Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

Age of Extinction was so fun to hate-watch. I spent most of the 165 minutes giggling at how epically trashed someone could get from doing a drinking game with even the fewest and simplest of rules (my proposal: drink every time you spot product placement; that's the only rule - good luck making it to the end credits).

At this stage, I think I would be disappointed if a Transformers sequel was just average rather than hot garbage.

Edited by Webslinger

also technically, all the Transformers movies are overperformers. In 2006 nobody would have ever expected it to be a long running franchise and the numbers that it did.  So to act like they are somehow being held back from making more because of Bay is an odd thing to say. 

22 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The last one is so hateful and mean-spirited, think it's worth a watch

14 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Why are you making me want to watch Transformers 4. Why

It's actually a masterpiece.  They somehow manage to make all 165 minutes of the film gut bustingly hilarious.

• Like 2

I watched some scenes from AoE a few weeks back and there was one where Marky Marks spaceship hits a dude's car. The guy asks about insurance or something then Marky gets sooooo mad at the guy. He grabs him by the collar and shit and is pretty much spitting in the dudes face, just because he wasn't happy that he broke his car. It's hilarious stuff, especially with the gratuitous product placement going on in that particular scene.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I watched some scenes from AoE a few weeks back and there was one where Marky Marks spaceship hits a dude's car. The guy asks about insurance or something then Marky gets sooooo mad at the guy. He grabs him by the collar and shit and is pretty much spitting in the dudes face, just because he wasn't happy that he broke his car. It's hilarious stuff, especially with the gratuitous product placement going on in that particular scene.

Yeah he blatantly cracks open a Bud Light and chugs it in front of him.

Toretto would not approve

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

I still legitimately like the third one the best because I think it had the best action set pieces and plus Milwaukee was featured in it.

Minus TJ Miller death, the 3rd has my favorite scene of the franchise

• Like 6

In a commentary of one of the TF films, there is this moment where Bay talks about how sometimes Cameron talks about VFX with super nerdy & tech words and Bay admits it flies completely over his head.

A nice Padawan moment.

:cloud9:

All the movies do at least have one decent set piece in them.  For me the Highway Chase in TF1.  The forrest battle in TF2.   The last hour of TF3.   And I kind of sort of like the scene on Lockdown's ship in TF4

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aabattery said:

My buddy and I lost it at the Bud Light piece. We then proceeded to laugh our asses off when we participated in a beer olympics later that evening that consisted almost entirely of that blue-canned swill.

• Like 1

The reality is that Bay films forced other studios and filmmakers to amp up their set pieces if they didn't want to look ridiculous next to the scale and spectacle Bay offered on the first 3 TF films.

He is the template.

Go ask Feige.

Edited by The Futurist

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Fast and Furious has increased with each subsequent film since the rebooted 4th film.  They likely won't increase on this one due to no tragedy to center around, but anyone who thinks Transformers is doing better at this point domestically than Fast and Furious, not sure what to say to that.  One of them keeps declining dramatically and the other one has increased steadily.  

Except Transformers started out much higher than the most successful Fast film which is Furious 7. Transformers films, as they decreased, still grossed more domestically (adjusted for inflation) than Furious 7. In fact, only the last Transformers film did not do great domestically. Your whole argument that Transformers should be more like Fast is based on one film... the last film. Fast 8 may not even do better than the next Transformers film. Bay should not want to copy from the Fast films when his franchise has been more successful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

Except Transformers started out much higher than the most successful Fast film which is Furious 7. Transformers films, as they decreased, still grossed more domestically (adjusted for inflation) than Furious 7. In fact, only the last Transformers film did not do great domestically. Your whole argument that Transformers should be more like Fast is based on one film... the last film. Fast 8 may not even do better than the next Transformers film. Bay should not want to copy from the Fast films when his franchise has been more successful.

One Last time for Bay ?

Credit where it's due TF3 is one of the few movies where 3D was worth it. Don't actually remember being that much ADD editing in that one, too. The set-pieces were well-crafted and truly impressive to see in IMAX. Sharp contrast with TF2 which gave me a raging headache in just good ol' 2D before even the first of its 9 hours was over. 

• Like 2