kayumanggi

Weekend #s | SAT (12.28.2013) 10.5 M TH: TDOS | 09.7 M - 10.0 M FROZEN | 07.4 M AM ll | 07.2 M AH

Jeez guys, all I'm saying is keep in mind its heavily boosted by the Christmas weekend. Its fourth weekend only ranked 20th.

Also, Frozen may not to get to 30mil. As Thu and Fri was already a holiday, the usual Fri to Sat bump won't be there. Sunday will be a drop so the weekend multiplier might well be less than 3. Of course 27, 28 or 29 would be great too, but just sayin.

• Like 1

haha so there's a Korean film blogger I've been hate following who has very negative views on Disney films in general and he hated Tangled so much and said such things like it became surprisingly (well, to him) successful only because Disney studio learned its lessons from Dreamworks and took their formula by exploring more adventure/action side and making a female character spunky which were never done in former Disney films before, etc. etc.. and now every time he has to report the Frozen's box office number it's so entertaining to see how he's baffled by its enormous success.

Jeez guys, all I'm saying is keep in mind its heavily boosted by the Christmas weekend. Its fourth weekend only ranked 20th.

Posted Image

Box office in general is heavily boosted during Christmas.  I don't need to be here 5 years to know that.

However... a million films are also released during Christmas to try to get a piece of the pie.

Good films get a good boost.

Great films get a great boost.

Frozen is a great film.

• Like 9

Posted Image

Box office in general is heavily boosted during Christmas.  I don't need to be here 5 years to know that.

However... a million films are also released during Christmas to try to get a piece of the pie.

Good films get a good boost.

Great films get a great boost.

Frozen is a great film.

yup, look at Gulliver's Travels.

• Like 1

Here's where we should be looking at, all time smallest drops 3000+ theaters. Record held by Cheaper By The Dozen with a 55% increase due to christmas. chance Frozen could best it. Not sure if these are just second weekend drops though.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/smallestdrops.htm?page=DROP3000&p=.htm

Edit: Yeah just second weekend drops comparison. I'll try and find one than shows other weekends :)

Edited by eXtacy

Here's where we should be looking at, all time smallest drops 3000+ theaters. Record held by Cheaper By The Dozen with a 55% increase due to christmas. chance Frozen could best it. Not sure if these are just second weekend drops though.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/smallestdrops.htm?page=DROP3000&p=.htm

Frozen also had yesterdays highest avg per theater.  

And hasn't had any 3D screen around here for several weeks.

The closest comparison would be Narnia making $28 million from Dec 26-28 2005 after its 3rd weekend (Christmas was a Sunday) and $25 million in its 4th weekend

But that's not particularly useful because it only had one full post-Christmas weekend. 

All we're saying is don't be a debbie downer and let people enjoy the run without trying to point out how it isn't as spectacular as people are making it out to be.

• Like 1

~ 30m, 2nd best 5th weekend of all time is f**king astounding! You just don't see runs like that very often. I mean, I knew Frozen was doing good, but I didn't know it was doing this good. For me it is definitely a sure shot for top 2/3 most impressive BO performances in the 2014 BO Awards.

• Like 6

All we're saying is don't be a debbie downer and let people enjoy the run without trying to point out how it isn't as spectacular as people are making it out to be.

I guess it's ok for someone to point out how something isn't spectacular if they feel it isn't. if everyone feels TA was spectacular would someone who didn't think so, keep himself isolated and not opine so folks can "enjoy".

Edited by a2knet

I think Frozen's success can be attributed to a lot of factors (less competition, great winter theme timing, fairly lackluster quality animated market this year). I think those factors definitely played a hand, but I think the two that prevail most are the simple facts that it's a great film and the GA agrees (maybe even moreso) and that Disney has actually done a great job in making the movie feel like an event picture. This was something they managed to do in the 90s, and it paid off. In the midst of a saturated animated market this year, and a very full holiday season, they've managed to make Frozen feel like the "must-see" movie of the season- and it has definitely turned out to be exactly that.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 8

We still don't know how high Frozen can go, which is why this is the most exciting run of 2013.

Agreed. I still think Gravity had the most impressive run of the year, but in that case it was obvious after three weeks - at most - that it would ultimately land somewhere in the 250-300m zone. Frozen, on the other hand, has been out for a month now and still has cards to lay on the table.