Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

I'm really excited about this movie. It looks and feels terrific, the CGI is stunning, and the stakes actually feel earned. 

I still see this with around $230M domestic, mostly because it had an opportunity to break out huge with the last sequel and didn't. But $250M+ wouldn't surprise me if most other late June/mid-July films (SMH, DM3, Dunkirk, Valerian, etc.) artistically or commercially disappoint.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bapi said:

The quality of CGI is amazing but I just have no interest in that world and it seems like a carbon copy of the previous movie.

This. I'm an unapologetic Rise fan. I know that movie by heart. I've seen Dawn once and never cared to see it again. This looks like a carbon copy of Dawn:

Woody/Gary lost a son, hates apes

Dull good human (in this case Dakota Fanning clone) befriends apes

Humans betray apes

Apes retaliate

Only this turned up the spectacle to Nth degree. Instead of a ragtag band of untrained humans, we are now dealing with an army. But it's the same shit. Charm replaced by faux-grit. Stock human characters likely getting too much screen time again, like in Dawn. 

I hate to be a party pooper. I really had high hopes after Rise cause it was so fresh but this and Dawn are your basic battle flicks.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

This is why i said that the third film should have been Planet of the Apes, where the humans are essentially gone. 

War looks exactly like Dawn, only difference is the size of the army. I dont anticipate this movie doing better than the second one. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

I can't blame Fox for stretching out the series and getting the most mileage they can, while they can. They'd be dumb to waste this cash cow by ending it early.

I go agree with @Valonqar to an extent. Rise had to much heart and the narrative really stuck with you. Now the movies are becoming repetitive war movies with more style than substance.

Dawn tried to use Orwell's Animal Farm but ends up using only the bare bones structure and doesn't expand on the allegory. And this does look like a remake of Dawn. 

Overall though watching super intelligent apes fighting with guns on horseback on snowcovered mountains is too much fun to resist and for all it's failures, these sequels are light years ahead of Tim Burton's pointless mockery of the original classic.

This remains one of my most anticipated films of 2017. This series is still potentially one of the best sci fi trilogies of all time.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I dunno, something about a full blown war movie just doesn't sound appealing to me for this franchise. The strength of the first two was all about the character development. That trailer already felt too samey by the time it was over for me. Hopefully this isn't another Hobbit 3. 

Agreed. More Logan (smaller scale, character focus) less Apocalypse (grand scale, zero intimacy). 

• Like 1