Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

James Bond is a male fantasy character. That's really the whole point of the franchise. The more they get away from that, the more watered-down the character becomes. Having a female starring in the role, even if she doesn't play James Bond, destroys the whole concept of the franchise. I don't know what modern audiences want, but that concept will not appeal to the traditional Bond audience. It can't because it is on the other end of the spectrum from a male fantasy.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

James Bond is a male fantasy character. That's really the whole point of the franchise. The more they get away from that, the more watered-down the character becomes. Having a female starring in the role, even if she doesn't play James Bond, destroys the whole concept of the franchise. I don't know what modern audiences want, but that concept will not appeal to the traditional Bond audience. It can't because it is on the other end of the spectrum from a male fantasy.

Ruh roh, prepare to be mauled!

I agree though.

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

It makes much more sense to try and create a new iconic female character than to try and turn an existing male one into a woman.

I have been told that stating such sound logic is considered "trolling." Tread carefully.

Humanity has opressed the animal kingdom in a systemic manner for touthands of years.

Therefore, I believe the next James Bond should be played by a 

Girafe

or a

Mogwai

Edited by The Futurist

38 minutes ago, I Am said:

I have been told that stating such sound logic is considered "trolling." Tread carefully.

Female James Bond simply wont work as well period

How many female spy thrillers have really captured the similar level of success ? There have been genuine recent attempts to shake that thing and the only future contender seems to be Gun Powder Milkshake and I dont think George Miller can be appointed on this and somehow Fury Road the project

22 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

How many female spy thrillers have really captured the similar level of success ? There have been genuine recent attempts to shake that thing and the only future contender seems to be Gun Powder Milkshake and I dont think George Miller can be appointed on this and somehow Fury Road the project

Well, how many spy thrillers have come even remotely close to such a success, regardless of gender?

There's Jason Bourne, which was big but hardly a box office giant either, Mission Impossible, maybe the Jack Ryan movies, and that's basically it. Maybe you can add Austin Powers to that, but that's more a humerous take on James Bond anyway. The odd single movie has been somewhat successful as well, but not to the point that a character turned into a household name.

The whole genre moves between not noteworthy and pretty decent hit, and only James Bond has managed to go much beyond that. Though even that is mostly internationally and not so much domestically.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

They didn't really try. Female spy movies didn't fail. There simply hasn't been enough of them to produce a long lasting success.

• Like 1

I don't get it. Is she gonna be Jane Bond or a new character under the 007 code?

It seems James Bond is retired and the new female character is replacing him but not as Bond. She's a new character.

The idea is that James Bond is 007, but 007 can be anybody. It seems something happens to the new 007 and James Bond comes back from retirement. I don't think we'll get a female Bond.

The way I read it is that there's a female 007 in the movie who works with un-retired James. It seems that, because Bond retired, his code was given to that other agent. The Sun clickbaited the fuck out of this info, so they claim she's a replacement for Bond and that they'll go forward with her instead of James. Whereas it's just that she got his code cause that position got vacant...til he returned from retirement.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, George Parr said:

I guess it could backfire among a few fringe audiences, but the general public probably won't care as much.

If there can be a new M or Q, then I don't see why there couldn't be another 007 as well. There have been multiple 00 agents in the series, and I think even more than one 006 as well. In the end it is just a designation. If, in this movie, James Bond were in retirement of some sort, then it wouldn't be all that weird to have another agent carry that designation. It would probably just be a temporary thing anyway.

I do agree with Barbara Broccoli's comment that there shouldn't be a female James Bond though. There really is no reason for such an idea. James Bond is an existing character that has been fleshed out for ages, you shouldn't change that on a whim. It makes much more sense to try and create a new iconic female character than to try and turn an existing male one into a woman.

Don't underestimate the power of social media. It's created huge PR headaches for more than few celebrities and projects. 

I don't care to see a female Bond but the arguments against just don't hold up. In all the history of storytelling, writers and artists have always found new ways to adapt popular works, adding their own twists to the story. Now we're just seeing race and gender added to the equation. It's hardly a new concept and as long as adaptations and remakes remain popular, the "just create new characters" take won't catch on and certainly, should be applied to everything, not just projects with race or gender swapping. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

Make a new spinoff or character as a female...

However this is like remaking the Iron Man movies with a female...

The issue is not the gender but the whole personality of Iron man is around being a 'alpha male type'

46 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Make a new spinoff or character as a female...

However this is like remaking the Iron Man movies with a female...

The issue is not the gender but the whole personality of Iron man is around being a 'alpha male type'

Dude, it is time to let the whole "alpha male" thing die. It has a disgusting smack of chauvinism. Son, we are living in a new age.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

They didn't really try. Female spy movies didn't fail. There simply hasn't been enough of them to produce a long lasting success.

?? I don't get the logic or the meaning.... The ones that have existed have largely failed.  

Anyway, the latest news suggests she isn't a female Bond in that sense....she's a temporary 007 because Craig's 007 has retired. 

19 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Dude, it is time to let the whole "alpha male" thing die. It has a disgusting smack of chauvinism. Son, we are living in a new age.  

It's perfectly ok to want a "man's movie" 

For Bond to be uncompromising. my concern is that whatever secondary female character there is will have an inflated role in the post-MeToo era. She will take it to the man and get the upper hand on Bond in some way. As a father of daughters, I want them to grow up in a world where they are considered equals to men. But I also don't want progressive messaging shoved down my throat. Many scenes in Captain Marvel were like that...really hammering home the Female Power element. Took me out of the movie. Again, agree with the overall thrust but also appreciate subtlety.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lilmac said:

It's perfectly ok to want a "man's movie" 

For Bond to be uncompromising. my concern is that whatever secondary female character there is will have an inflated role in the post-MeToo era. She will take it to the man and get the upper hand on Bond in some way. As a father of daughters, I want them to grow up in a world where they are considered equals to men. But I also don't want progressive messaging shoved down my throat. Many scenes in Captain Marvel were like that...really hammering home the Female Power element. Took me out of the movie. Again, agree with the overall thrust but also appreciate subtlety.  

If you want your daughters to grow up in a world where they are considered equals to men, you yourself need to change the perception first with real efforts. The best way to do it is to go see movies with progressive messages with your daughters, given that movie is probably the most powerful medium right now. 

You can't eat your cake and have it too. In other words, you need to make some sort of sacrifice for your daughters. Just imagine what she would think if she knew that 007 was actually not the "privilege of men". 

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Oh God....men willingly giving up on the concept of alpha male. Humiliating.

You can still have the utmost respect for women and be an alpha male. This is nature we're talking about. Humanity can't be so arrogant as to think they can, and should, change nature.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Valonqar said:

The way I read it is that there's a female 007 in the movie who works with un-retired James. It seems that, because Bond retired, his code was given to that other agent. The Sun clickbaited the fuck out of this info, so they claim she's a replacement for Bond and that they'll go forward with her instead of James. Whereas it's just that she got his code cause that position got vacant...til he returned from retirement.

Seriously clickbaited. Sounds like a perfectly reasonable plot point to me.

8 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Breaking news... we like to watch movies with characters with flaws that go on a journey...

Iron man is a alpha male but over 11 years what does he turn into?

• Like 2