Shawn Robbins

Saturday #s pg 19 ROAE 16.4,MRP 14.4,NS 7.1,LM 5.4

• Founder / Operator

I think I'm at the point where I'd rather just project based off Thursday night numbers than any other source on early Friday evening. That $3.3m start gave a near perfect indication of where 300 was heading yesterday.

• Like 1

I think it is time to put to rest all of the jaw dropping posts. when a limited release does big numbers. In my opinion there is really nothing jawdropping about Budapest number. In fact its pretty standard now for films with niche audiences to have giant PTAs on opening weekend. All it means is thathis fans rushed out to see it. Call me if a Wes Anderson film ever results in a gross of more than 70 mill.

Edited by winter baumer
  • Like 5

I think I'm at the point where I'd rather just project based off Thursday night numbers than any other source on early Friday evening. That $3.3m start gave a near perfect indication of where 300 was heading yesterday.

Where's the fun in that Shawn? Who doesn't enjoy a Friday evening, cozying up to your laptop with a bottle or three and reading Nikki updates? Edited by Jim Shorts
  • Like 4

#WesAnderson fans storm BO. #GrandBudapestHotel debuts FRI to $260k in just 4 thtrs. Jaw-dropping $200k+ wknd avg!

:o

That's pretty much the platform release equivalent of TA's OW record. From The Master's $147k to over $200k (even if not, over $180k seems guaranteed) just like that. Unless Inherent Vice goes limited I don't see this beaten for another couple of years.

• Like 2

I think it is time to put to rest all of the jaw dropping posts: when a limited release does big numbers. In my opinion there is really nothing Jah dropping about Budapest number. In fact its pretty standard now for films with niche canvases to have giant PTAs on opening weekend. All it means is thathis fans rushed out to see it. Call me if a Wes Anderson film ever results in a gross of more than 70 mill.

I disagree. This is going to comfortably blow past the record for a non-Disney/superpriced-ticket PTA weekend. I'd give you the satisfaction if it opened to just over $100k, but nearly double that, and it's hard to scoff at. I know it won't do gangbusters when it goes wide, but let the film have its cake while it can.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 3

I think it is time to put to rest all of the jaw dropping posts: when a limited release does big numbers. In my opinion there is really nothing jaw dropping about Budapest number. In fact its pretty standard now for films with niche audiences to have giant PTAs on opening weekend. All it means is that

his fans rushed out to see it. Call me if a Wes Anderson film ever results in a gross of more than 70 mill.

Posted Image

Edited by winter baumer

I agree, it will also spare users getting angry at you unnecessarily (cough... CJohn... cough)  ;)

• Like 1

Wow, that number for 300 honestly floors me. I had bumped my prediction from 26 to 32 recently, but still, it should do around 41-43 now, which is pretty tremendous when comparing to expectations and considering it should do gangbusters overseas and make a big time profit. Yes, it dropped a ton from the first one, but this just had so little going for it when the other had so much. Honestly, if it hadn't been for the name, I would have predicted in the teens for this, like some did. Color me impressed.

• Like 4

Wow, that number for 300 honestly floors me. I had bumped my prediction from 26 to 32 recently, but still, it should do around 41-43 now, which is pretty tremendous when comparing to expectations and considering it should do gangbusters overseas and make a big time profit. Yes, it dropped a ton from the first one, but this just had so little going for it when the other had so much. Honestly, if it hadn't been for the name, I would have predicted in the teens for this, like some did. Color me impressed.

I feel the same way. I wonder if Sin City 2 can follow suit... :thinking:

I disagree. This is going to comfortably blow past the record for a non-Disney/superpriced-ticket PTA weekend. I'd give you the satisfaction if it opened to just over $100k, but nearly double that, and it's hard to scoff at. I know it won't do gangbusters when it goes wide, but let the film have its cake while it can.

Naaa....this is standard.  I'll be shocked if this goes past 30 mill.

I feel the same way. I wonder if Sin City 2 can follow suit... :thinking:

The original Sin City did as much in total as 300 did opening weekend, pretty much, and the appeal is far less broad outside of the fans than 300. But Sin City has developed a big time cult following and much of the original cast is returning. I think 300 2 benefited from being pretty decent and shocking people in that regard, but SC 2 feels like it could be a bigger quality drop off. Maybe not, though. I say 30-35 million seems right this far out.