Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, if a movie is going to have a 1.2B DOM and 4.5B WW run, I frankly don't care what movie it is. Could be the Dora movie for all I care, I just want to witness a box office run like that. 

Titanic was pretty much exactly that, except I might argue it's worldwide performance could be even stronger than 4.5B today. But yeah, I didn't get to witness Titanic's run either so hoping to see something like that again. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It's looking as though Endgame will only beat Avatar by 3-4%.

1 little re-release would put the lights out for Endgame.

I'm not optimistic though, Disney might just block it the pricks.

After this Saturday, the #EndgameOverAvatar stans have gone from enormously confident to sweating bullets. It's looking like it'll barely beat it, but then again we thought the same thing about IW and Titanic. Nothing is locked.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

After this Saturday, the #EndgameOverAvatar stans have gone from enormously confident to sweating bullets. It's looking like it'll barely beat it, but then again we thought the same thing about IW and Titanic. Nothing is locked.

Hi pure spirit....The only thing is a lock is that JC and Pandorians audience show up and stand united for his mega epics.

The results are astounding and the results could blow all our  high end bo predicts away.

Hmm.... talks of Avatar 2( the destroyer of pretenders to the bo throne) beating out Avatar1 and E.g. by 1.8-2.5 billion overall or more becoming more of a reality everyday💘....Great googly moogly Pandorians

----This! This is our land!! 😉

---Jc's consistent box office might cant be reasoned with  or bargained with. 

It what he does. Its all he does!!

And he absolutely wont stop until pretenders to the throne are Terminated!

Edited by Sheldon Cr

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, if a movie is going to have a 1.2B DOM and 4.5B WW run, I frankly don't care what movie it is. Could be the Dora movie for all I care, I just want to witness a box office run like that. 

That's basically what Avatar was if you adjust for market growth since 2009. It set a record with its opening weekend for an original film and then its THIRD Saturday was bigger than its first. And it did similar crazy numbers in almost every major market in the world. An original film! People "poo poo" Avatar but to me it's the second most impressive run of the modern era.

Titanic was a tier above that if you can believe it. A "Titanic" run today could ride all the way to $6B after a $500M OW. It made nearly double the existing record holder (more the double counting the re-release).

We haven't seen anything like that since, but movies like Avatar and Titanic only come around about every 12 years. 😏

EDIT: For anyone didn't grow up in the era of Titanic (I was 18 at the time), here's a timeline of its cultural dominance: https://www.vulture.com/2013/11/timeline-of-titanics-world-dominance-in-1998.html

Endgame is a flash in the pan in comparison. Even Avatar cowers before Titanic.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Yes it is considering the prices now and the 25-35% domestic screen increase.. Come on now , a little logic please. And it wont be 70-100 mil past Avatars 877m adjusted double jack. 😉 Wrong again!! Considering how much bigger Avatar was domestically, if we factor in the screens of E.g. today.

Eg would have to have  made at least 1.1 billion to be compared to Avatar on the domestic front. Ill embarrasssing considering the incredible 357m ow that its looking at  770-850 plus m domestic😛😛 vs 2009's Avatars incredible 760m domestic back then. Avatar 2 will make an astounding 200-300m domestic OW but will have 5.3x-7x multiplier in comparison.

If we open with 200-270 4.8-5x plus multi.

If 270m to 320 m plus OW a still Incredible 3.4-v4x plus multi!

Take that to the bank!!

I wasn't talking about adjusted figures, nor was the post I replied to. Endgame is going to finish well over 800M domestically, with a good possibility it is over 850M. It reached 700M this weekend. It will likely pass Avatar domestically next weekend, less than a month after release. Which Cameron movies have made that kind of money in a month? Oh that's right, none.

Do you want to talk about admissions? I don't think you want to go there. We can if you want to though.

BTW I already did the math several pages back. A max domestic OW for Avatar 2 would be about 200M, give or take a bit. That's assuming an 80% 3D share. Will enough people see it in 2D for it to reach 250M or more in a weekend? Maybe. I'd bet against it. A very large part of Avatar's appeal was the 3D effects. There are only so many 3D capable screens.

I'm not making any OW statements about Avatar 2 at this point. It is way too far off to make any kind of real prediction about, and there's no trailer. I don't care whether you agree or not, but Avatar 1 is a terrible film. It is derivative and completely unoriginal. A moon named Pandora? The mineral they are after is called unobtanium? That sounds like it was written by an elementary school child. Cameron hasn't made a good film in a very, very long time. I think the trend will continue. I'll wait until I see a trailer before I'm certain about it.

• ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Probably more like 50mil, which is nothing after a 350mil OW. And after people thought it had a great chance of beating TFA.

It was not an unreasonable position. We had literally no data to go on for an OW that large, since it obliterated the previous records. Turns out, comic book based movies probably cannot reach the level of penetration necessary to threaten the domestic record. If Endgame couldn't pass TFA, then I do not see any CBM movie that will. Just not enough people into the genre.

2 minutes ago, doublejack said:

If Endgame couldn't pass TFA, then I do not see any CBM movie that will. Just not enough people into the genre.

A 2h20 more rewatchable End Game could have I imagine, something that combine must see a la Avenger with anyone can go watch it without having seen previous huge resistance a la Black Panther/Guardian 1/Venom/etc... can probably do it, they are not that far.

Avenger 4 or 5 by JJ Abrams with a return of the original big 3 and Jackman has Wolverine, Reynolds has Deadpool in it.

13 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

That's basically what Avatar was if you adjust for market growth since 2009. It set a record with its opening weekend for an original film and then its THIRD Saturday was bigger than its first. And it did similar crazy numbers in almost every major market in the world. 

You mean like just like Jumanji and Greatest Showman did?  Oh, and Sing as well.

And Passengers, Why Him?, Sisters.  I could probably find plenty more for you if you'd like!  It happens sometimes because the Christmas holidays are the most roided-out 2 weeks of box office a year.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

You mean like just like Jumanji and Greatest Showman did?  Oh, and Sing as well.

And Passengers, Why Him?, Sisters.  I could probably find plenty more for you if you'd like!  It happens sometimes because the Christmas holidays are the most roided-out 2 weeks of box office a year.

Did any of those open at #1 WW? Did any of them become the highest grossing film of its era? Sit down.

EDIT: and IIRC December wasn’t known as a box office bonanza until some amazing films (Titanic, LotR) turned it into one. Spring/Summer was where the big money was and December was for Oscar wannabes and family films.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

It's a guaranteed lock as it was after last weekend.

Question only of when. Should be damn close after Memorial Day if not there.

1 hour ago, doublejack said:

I wasn't talking about adjusted figures, nor was the post I replied to. Endgame is going to finish well over 800M domestically, with a good possibility it is over 850M. It reached 700M this weekend. It will likely pass Avatar domestically next weekend, less than a month after release. Which Cameron movies have made that kind of money in a month? Oh that's right, none.

Do you want to talk about admissions? I don't think you want to go there. We can if you want to though.

BTW I already did the math several pages back. A max domestic OW for Avatar 2 would be about 200M, give or take a bit. That's assuming an 80% 3D share. Will enough people see it in 2D for it to reach 250M or more in a weekend? Maybe. I'd bet against it. A very large part of Avatar's appeal was the 3D effects. There are only so many 3D capable screens.

I'm not making any OW statements about Avatar 2 at this point. It is way too far off to make any kind of real prediction about, and there's no trailer. I don't care whether you agree or not, but Avatar 1 is a terrible film. It is derivative and completely unoriginal. A moon named Pandora? The mineral they are after is called unobtanium? That sounds like it was written by an elementary school child. Cameron hasn't made a good film in a very, very long time. I think the trend will continue. I'll wait until I see a trailer before I'm certain about it.

It always makes me chuckle a little when people say this, without realising its actual a real termnthat has been used for 60 years -

In fiction, engineering, and thought experiments, unobtainium is any fictional, extremely rare, costly, or impossible material, or (less commonly) device needed to fulfill a given design for a given application. The properties of any particular unobtainium depend on the intended use

aerospace engineers have used the term "unobtainium" when referring to unusual or costly materials, or when theoretically considering a material perfect for their needs in all respects, Later, unobtainium became an engineering term for practical materials that really exist, but are difficult to get.[4] For example, during the development of the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane, Lockheed engineers at the "Skunk Works" under Clarence "Kelly" Johnson used unobtainium as a dysphemism for titanium. Titanium allowed a higher strength-to-weight ratio at the high temperatures the Blackbird would reach, but the Soviet Union controlled its supply and was trying to deprive the US armed forces of this resource.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

If you're going to troll, at least get yout facts right or you only end up trolling yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

That's basically what Avatar was if you adjust for market growth since 2009. It set a record with its opening weekend for an original film and then its THIRD Saturday was bigger than its first. And it did similar crazy numbers in almost every major market in the world. An original film! People "poo poo" Avatar but to me it's the second most impressive run of the modern era.

Titanic was a tier above that if you can believe it. A "Titanic" run today could ride all the way to $6B after a $500M OW. It made nearly double the existing record holder (more the double counting the re-release).

We haven't seen anything like that since, but movies like Avatar and Titanic only come around about every 12 years. 😏

EDIT: For anyone didn't grow up in the era of Titanic (I was 18 at the time), here's a timeline of its cultural dominance: https://www.vulture.com/2013/11/timeline-of-titanics-world-dominance-in-1998.html

Endgame is a flash in the pan in comparison. Even Avatar cowers before Titanic.

This may be a popular opinion with some but not with others, but I think the reason Titanic is on a whole other level (and is still much more remembered among the general public) is because people fell in love with the story AND the experience of seeing it in the theatre (the effects etc.) whereas Avatar the reason it caught on was more because of its technological and 3D innovations rather than the story. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This may be a popular opinion with some but not with others, but I think the reason Titanic is on a whole other level (and is still much more remembered among the general public) is because people fell in love with the story AND the experience of seeing it in the theatre (the effects etc.) whereas Avatar the reason it caught on was more because of its technological and 3D innovations rather than the story. 

I'm sure thats true with a lot of people, especially as the Titanic disaster was a real event, but i love AVATAR just as much as Titanic.

They are actually very similar films in a lot of ways -

First hour = Character introduction and basic plot.

2nd hour = love story

3rd hour Big action climax.

I find it hard to pick one over the other really, but i would guess that Titanic probably resonated more with females (overall) due to its real world none sci-fi setting, and Leo of course.😀

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I'm sure thats true with a lot of people, especially as the Titanic disaster was a real event, but i love AVATAR just as much as Titanic.

They are actually very similar films in a lot of ways -

First hour = Character introduction and basic plot.

2nd hour = love story

3rd hour Big action climax.

I find it hard to pick one over the other really, but i would guess that Titanic probably resonated more with females (overall) due to its real world none sci-fi setting, and Leo of course.😀

I don't think its fair to limit one of the biggest movies ever to one sex. A movie like Titanic doesn't get to where it is without transcending genre and gender appeal. 

My point was, ask the majority of people today, and while they most likely remember Titanic's special effects as being awe-inducing at the time, they were secondary to the story. If you ask people today about Avatar, the first thing they (not including the Cameron fans on this site) will say is that the movie was visually, rather than narratively, stunning. 

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't think its fair to limit one of the biggest movies ever to one sex. A movie like Titanic doesn't get to where it is without transcending genre and gender appeal. 

My point was, ask the majority of people today, and while they most likely remember Titanic's special effects as being awe-inducing at the time, they were secondary to the story. If you ask people today about Avatar, the first thing they (not including the Cameron fans on this site) will say is that the movie was visually, rather than narratively, stunning. 

I wasnt trying to, i saw Titanic aboutn 5 times in the cinema, and thats a lot for me. I was just saying that the 'real world' setting possibly resonated with females more than a sci-fi setting, especially with one of the biggest heart throbs at that time starring in it.

I love Titanic, i dont really get how you thought i was trying to belittle its achievemnets from my post.😕

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

It's a guaranteed lock as it was after last weekend.

Question only of when. Should be damn close after Memorial Day if not there.

I agree it's 100:1 but a week ago it looked like 1000:1 odds. There's a very slim chance OS gross drops off hard with PDP's global opening providing an alternative, and domestic is weaker than anticipated this weekend (so far).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Its pretty funny that after a $350mil US opening, and 1.2bil worldwide opening, Endgame is barely going to beat AVATAR domestic and worldwide.

Its hurting people so much already in the weekend threads, even TFA is getting attacked for being an 'awful' film.

Fanboy tears, so sweet.:shades:

I LOVE Endgame (and worship Avatar) but indeed, it's crazy, shows you how insane Avatar is . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I LOVE Endgame (and worship Avatar) but indeed, it's crazy, shows you how insane Avatar is . 

I 👀 you Jimbo, Ncsoft, JcScholar, Pure Spirit, Timmy, Jack Sparrow, kayom and fellow Pandorians!

We will witness history again!!!

This is our land!!! Wooohooo!

This is another Wonder of Jc and his team's to pick the music that we remember forever!!

• Haha 1