Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

New interview posted on the New York Times today. A few tidbits, the movie has been screened to test audiences already, 

If you need to bypass the paywall try the "reader" function if you have it. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/25/movies/avatar-way-of-the-water-james-cameron.html

Good article but it become another bad PR take as only thing being mentioned from it is once again "Cameron is bashing superhero movies and guy himself made blue pocahontas" everywhere I see it mentioned, twitter, movie websites etc.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm sure he's waiting with bated breath to see what they say about his movie

Yeah I'm sure that keeps him awake at night 😀. His statements aren't wrong but they aren't 100% accurate, I'm fairly positive that he hasn't watched every single MCU/DC movie/tv show. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I love Jim just constantly affirming everything we've said in this thread over the years

To completely blow my own horn I fully called that there will be an ocean version of the hometree getting blown up. Jim wants you all to realise the beauty we are destroying

I'll trust DC when he says that the story is not predictable however that statement in the NYT article makes me wonder if A2 is going to follow a very similar narrative to Avatar. I remember Lang saying something like A2 is Avatar on steroids. 

With the worldwide hype train set for takeoff in November according to Sigourney W, I consider it a good sign that the movie is at minimum very good, at this late stage Disney/20th Century/Lightstorm know exactly how good or not it is. 

On 10/8/2022 at 5:30 AM, IronJimbo said:

Could Avatar 2 be the highest grossing movie of 2022 and 2023? If you split it's gross into the calender years?

Hello brother jimbo and everyone.. I think so. DEC would count as 2022 release I believe.

Wherever  we go the pandorian family  is our fortress ⚔️😎

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

I'll trust DC when he says that the story is not predictable however that statement in the NYT article makes me wonder if A2 is going to follow a very similar narrative to Avatar. I remember Lang saying something like A2 is Avatar on steroids. 

With the worldwide hype train set for takeoff in November according to Sigourney W, I consider it a good sign that the movie is at minimum very good, at this late stage Disney/20th Century/Lightstorm know exactly how good or not it is. 

Remember  it has James vision, his storytelling abilities and he has the team of planet of the ape writers working with him as well. No doubt in my mind it's going to be as good if not better than Avatar 1.  Audiences will amazed yet again.

8 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Hello brother jimbo and everyone.. I think so. DEC would count as 2022 release I believe.

Wherever  we go the pandorian family  is our fortress ⚔️😎

we actually almost made it, i can't believe it.

THIS IS OUR LAND!!

Dare i say im beginning to get excited for this movie.

I think it has something to do with the fact that it just feels like its something different than the blockbuster fare of the last years. Watching Superhero movies more and more felt like homework to me, while this one seems like a vacation from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

https://people.com/fashion/cariuma-disney-avatar-collection/

Plenty of pairs of sneakers are comfy, cute, and praised by customers and celebs alike. But few shoe brands offer what Cariuma does so often — unique collaborations, like the one that just dropped today.

Cariuma, a footwear brand known for its supportive and sustainable kicks, partnered with Disney and Lightstorm Entertainment for a limited-edition collection that's eye-catching, to say the least. In anticipation of the long-awaited Avatar sequel (Avatar: The Way of the Water), which premieres on December 16, Cariuma designed three pairs of sneakers inspired by the dazzling land of Pandora, and one of them even glows in the dark.

Much of the allure of Avatar lies in the incredible visuals, so we wouldn't expect anything less from a sneaker collection based off of the films. The first pattern in the three-shoe collection represents the unique plants found in the Pandoran ocean, and it's available in the brand's best-selling OCA low-top sneaker.

cariuma-x-disney-launch-vallely-pro-3-8a

9d58ie8n77w91.jpg

cariuma-x-disney-launch-blue-8cca0811f67

Edited by Deuce66
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Remember  it has James vision, his storytelling abilities and he has the team of planet of the ape writers working with him as well. No doubt in my mind it's going to be as good if not better than Avatar 1.  Audiences will amazed yet again.

Not for this film but the 3rd one. This film has the Sarah conner chronicles creator as a co-writee

18 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Not for this film but the 3rd one. This film has the Sarah conner chronicles creator as a co-writee

All the writers for Avatar 2 to 5 worked the overall story together, they're all credited as writers for each of the movies.

For Avatar 2 the screen writers are the Planet of the apes writers and Jim

A2 Story is by all 5 writers

A2 Screen Play is by Jim and Planet of The Apes duo

Edited by IronJimbo
clearer

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I feel like James Cameron has been taking shots at CBMs for years now, even before Scorsese did it. 

Still bitter his Spiderman Project in the 90's never got off the ground.

But, franklu, this is petty and does not make Cameron look too good.

But of his defenders will rush to defend him because Cameron is God and can do no wrong.

And though I meant the sarcastically, I get the sick feeling some people here actually think that.

• Knock It Off 1

But what he said is pretty much right. 

You can argue some movies aren't one of those, but more and more superhero stories are becoming what he described. This happened decades ago on Japanese ACG. You can see in Dragon Ball that Goku always act like a boy, or Conan Edogawa is still a 7-year-old student after nearly 20 years. Why? Because their arcs are controlled by revenue and audience instead of the characters themselves. The story will finish as long as they get old. And studios couldn't let that happen because they don't want to lose money machine or develop a new story or character. Marvel Studios' Spider-Man trilogy is basically shaping a high school Peter Parker that Sam Raimi could do much better in just one movie. He has to make the same mistake and use the excuse of "he is just a kid" every time.

The comments Cameron made were essentially saying Hollywood's business model have big problem. He also said: "You can’t think in those terms. If I brought that into every decision I make, then it’s like, 'OK, is the color that’s going to go on the back of this Ilu going to make the difference of $10 million global gross?'" Well, many people in this industry are doing these shitty things. Remember VFX artists accused Marvel of changing creative decisions without reasonable production time? All of these illustrate that Hollywood do not give creative people the respect they deserve. Businessmen like JD Payne & Patrick McKay are telling shitty stories like Rings of Power and believe they are making another "Batman Begins and The Dark Knight".

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

But what he said is pretty much right. 

You can argue some movies aren't one of those, but more and more superhero stories are becoming what he described. This happened decades ago on Japanese ACG. You can see in Dragon Ball that Goku always act like a boy, or Conan Edogawa is still a 7-year-old student after nearly 20 years. Why? Because their arcs are controlled by revenue and audience instead of the characters themselves. The story will finish as long as they get old. And studios couldn't let that happen because they don't want to lose money machine or develop a new story or character. Marvel Studios' Spider-Man trilogy is basically shaping a high school Peter Parker that Sam Raimi could do much better in just one movie. He has to make the same mistake and use the excuse of "he is just a kid" every time.

The comments Cameron made were essentially saying Hollywood's business model have big problem. He also said: "You can’t think in those terms. If I brought that into every decision I make, then it’s like, 'OK, is the color that’s going to go on the back of this Ilu going to make the difference of $10 million global gross?'" Well, many people in this industry are doing these shitty things. Remember VFX artists accused Marvel of changing creative decisions without reasonable production time? All of these illustrate that Hollywood do not give creative people the respect they deserve. Businessmen like JD Payne & Patrick McKay are telling shitty stories like Rings of Power and believe they are making another "Batman Begins and The Dark Knight".

I have two things to say on this. Cameron did not need to bite the hand that feeds him. Especially when Zoe Saldana has played a very important part in the MCU while he was still trying to figure out what to do for this film.

Like im not sure you realize how big DB is (and I know the decision is made for a Japanese audunces) when Dragon Ball Super was airing the fight between Goku and Jiren there were massive block parties all over Latin American countries of people watching it. Heck, there was a strip club in Mexico that was offering free lapdances if Goku won.  My point is if the audience is big and/or rabid enough they won't care.

Ps. Heaven help us if Disney does have the live action film rights to DB.

5 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I have two things to say on this. Cameron did not need to bite the hand that feeds him. Especially when Zoe Saldana has played a very important part in the MCU while he was still trying to figure out what to do for this film.

Like im not sure you realize how big DB is (and I know the decision is made for a Japanese audunces) when Dragon Ball Super was airing the fight between Goku and Jiren there were massive block parties all over Latin American countries of people watching it. Heck, there was a strip club in Mexico that was offering free lapdances if Goku won.  My point is if the audience is big and/or rabid enough they won't care.

Ps. Heaven help us if Disney does have the live action film rights to DB.

If you think Cameron needs Disney and the MCU you're having a laugh. They just happened to be the distributers Jim is stuck with as they bought out Fox and took the contract. He does not need Disney, every single other studio would take the Avatar franchise on if they could. This is closer to saying don't bite the hand of the terrorist that has you hostage (it's not this, but it's closer to what you said).

Well said about the DBZ stuff, it's nice we all agree with Gavin. Dragonball is massive and Goku being a man-child does contribute to it as Gavin said. Execellent point about audiences not caring, they don't care if Goku acts like a child. But does that mean we should make a 100 more animes for adults where the main character acts like a child? And just forget about making adults act like adults? Well Alan Moore doesn't think so. Comic Legend Alan Moore, worries superheroes encourage “infantilization” of audiences, which could lead to nasty social concequences.