Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Looks gorgeous!
This is doing the exact opposite of what the full trailer of the original did, essentially another teaser with some striking imagery, I think that shows confidence.

Not sure if the trailer even contains any scenes from a "final battle" and no focus on any "villain" except for Quaritch (love that scene with him crushing a skull). Clearly they are holding on to a lot that they haven't showed yet. I wonder if we're getting another trailer or TV spots containing new scenes from the later parts of the movie closer to release.
It's going to be an exciting one and half month!

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

Loved the trailer! Great idea to focus on visuals and hide the plot.

First trailer tried to activate awareness: "Remember Avatar, the world. You'll go there again soon".

Second trailer focused on the visual spectacle, trying to convince this is a must see film to be experienced at cinemas.

I bet there will be a third trailer focused on the characters/plot.

Same happened with TFA. It had three trailers. First teaser focused on awareness. Second one came to sell the unmissable experience of a Star Wars movie. And the last one sold the new main characters and bits of the story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Random thought: does Sigourney Weaver sound like a teenager to you? Maybe a chainsmoking teenager...

My thought is that she sounded fine in isolation, but if I keep Sigourney Weaver in mind when listening to her then she suddenly doesn't sound very natural anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

Something that concerns me is that the original had a human way in. Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver etc appearing as humans and grounding things for us to have that vicarious experience through them. This will be blue people all the way? 

No, lots of human characters check the list. 

Full cast & crew 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

looks good

idk why but the trailer gives off a pretty strong vibe of

Hide contents

killing off Neytiri 

Mis-direction, my money is on 

Spoiler

Ronal - Kate Winslet's character dying 

6 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

looks good

idk why but the trailer gives off a pretty strong vibe of

Reveal hidden contents

I doubt that will happen

If you're talking about Sigourney's character talking about hearing someone's heartbeat, I think she's talking about some form of connection to their deity, Eywa. Which is why she said she probably seems "crazy". She also seems to have some sort of power in one shot of the trailer where she put her hands up in front of her. And the glitter-like design (?) on her skin were glowing.

---

Anyway I'm also part of the club that's waiting for the 4k trailer

There were blurry parts in this compressed version and it's annoying

But even with this quality and in 2D I can already see the appeal of repeat viewings for this movie. There's just so much to take in! I kept pausing the trailer just to revel in the details and beauty of each frame. Imagine what more for general audiences and in a huge 3D screen!

33 minutes ago, Royce said:

Anyway I'm also part of the club that's waiting for the 4k trailer

There were blurry parts in this compressed version and it's annoying

But even with this quality and in 2D I can already see the appeal of repeat viewings for this movie. There's just so much to take in! I kept pausing the trailer just to revel in the details and beauty of each frame. Imagine what more for general audiences and in a huge 3D screen!

I saw the kids swimming sequences in 3D and that must be one of the most intriguing and awestruck moment in my cinemagoing experience. I love how JC design each shot with 3D in mind and hope the crowd can give 3D another chance. Watching Avatar in 2D is pretty much like watching a musical without songs.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

But this trailer is still very plot thin and human characters are completely missing. And I remember the first movie push 3D hard toward the release date. All in, there are material available to tease.

That's what I said, they probably aren't just going to throw out tickets with nothing so there will likely be a new trailer to go along them when they go on sale :P

Its a bad trailer, it feels like an extended teaser.  It also looks so melodramatic and corny but not in a fun way.  You'd think for a 13 year old wait they'd be going out of their way to knock it out of the stadium with these trailers?  This has a very "thats it?" vibe to it.  I wish I could gin up some enthusiasm because who doesn't love Cameron's earlier career, but this is just too goofy.  Its baffling to me that this world is his late career passion project.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1