Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

These reactions are as expected. At least as I expected. Seems like an 80’s RT, 72-77 Metacritic type of film. In the end though, that means nothing. Audience WOM is the end all, be all. 

A visual feast better than the first movie, with incredible 3D + visuals and a richer story

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

Seemingly slightly below what I expected, but definitely good; but I'm also seeing multiple reactions (at least 3 now) claiming it's better than the first both visually but also emotionally, I think we need to see a few more waves of reactions to determine if these very first ones are somewhat skewed.

Review wise, I think these may be good enough to not negatively affect box office, we just need audiences to respond emotionally and be in awe of the spectacle, and so far it seems to definitely deliver on those fronts. 

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

A visual feast better than the first movie, with incredible 3D + visuals and a richer story

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/avatar/critic-reviews

read the reviews which give it a 100, this clearly isnt better than avatar 1 was in 09

lots of praise thrown around, but not seeing much "changing cinema forever" this time around

3 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I don't know I was expecting people to be blown away more. Having too many subplots can also hurt its appeal to audiences. Yeah pretty much all the reactions are still good, but I'm not sure it's going to have people in awe like the first did. 

first reactions for big movies are almost always "ZOMFG amazing best movie eva!" because folks want that dopamine hit from all likes/RT but these ranging from "just okay to pretty good"

i'll probably catch this on D+ in early Feb

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

The reactions so far would all be classed as positive reviews on RT, so i'm expecting critic reviews to at least match the 83 of the first film.

True but probably not matching that 83 Metacritic score though, which always seemed surprising to me considering the RT %, those all-time level WOM from audiences ultimately carried its box office though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Just a couple of things to remember guys.

First off Cameron supoposedly bad mouthed Marvel (i didnt see the quotes), which pissed off Marvel fans who according to Reddit were going to bad mouth the film.

People forget how many Avatar haters that just didn't like first movie will watch this too.