Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

How many "it's better than the original" do you guys need to see before you stop doomer posting?

To be fair its human anture to home in on the odd negative review, and ignore the huge amount of positive reviews.

Especially with this film as it has a lot of trolls gunning for it.

1 minute ago, adaros said:

"Felt like a kid again watching T2 for 1st time. Astounding." T2 was for me something on another level as kid first time watching it so really like this comment.

I first watched T2 when is was off on a sick day from school on a 17” CRT TV recorded off BBC1 where they’d cropped the widescreen presentation so badly that the opening titles said:

ERMINATO

UDGEMENT DA

Even all these years later, I still remember the entire experience of watching it for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

550 to 600 in the U.S. WW is hard to tell because a lot of blockbusters this year did not get china and Japan releases films. Think people have forgot that box office has not been the same since Covid.

Any range for WW minus China?

2 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

550 to 600 in the U.S. WW is hard to tell because a lot of blockbusters this year did not get china and Japan releases films. Think people have forgot that box office has not been the same since Covid.

Can't think of a single blockbuster that didn't get released in Japan this year.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

that's good cause influencers overhype movies and then reviews bring them down to Earth. remember BPWF's short lived Best Picture buzz before reviews dropped? Blame influencers. 

Yeah, i was thinking this. 

And to be fair, the influencer reactions are pretty good. I think we're just used to see them freaking out over SH movies and now with more "traditional" ones they're less hyperbolic. 

But yeah the critics seems to really like it overall, the doom & gloom lasted half an hour

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

ok im dooming a bit less now

lets up my projected MC score from 72 and 77

still dissapointed though

seems weirdly divisive 

Sure if 90% poitive reviews vs 10% negative reviews is divisive (and even the negative reviews are not really negative, apart from those 2 UK plonkers).

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, i was thinking this. 

And to be fair, the influencer reactions are pretty good. I think we're just used to see them freaking out over SH movies and now with more "traditional" ones they're less hyperbolic. 

But yeah the critics seems to really like it overall, the doom & gloom lasted half an hour

yeah pretty confident that this will get great reviews, a great box office run and will get a BP nom, but the all-timer movie I dreamed of might not be there

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nikostar said:

So I will go with 80 to 84 of RT and 70 to 75 on MC. Around Dune level reviews pretty much.

Well that would be perfectly fine as well.

Infinity War had like a 68 MTC, never stopped that box office behemoth...

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

yeah pretty confident that this will get great reviews, a great box office run and will get a BP nom, but the all-timer movie I dreamed of might not be there

Now, perhaps it's time to lean more into Zoe Saldana's comment on : " IF you do connect with Avatar 2, three will be so much more rewarding!" 😁

6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I first watched T2 when is was off on a sick day from school on a 17” CRT TV recorded off BBC1 where they’d cropped the widescreen presentation so badly that the opening titles said:

ERMINATO

UDGEMENT DA

Even all these years later, I still remember the entire experience of watching it for the first time.

Watching it as kid late at night when nobody was at home was something I will not forget, great memories.

• Like 1

Sticking with my 190/865 Prediction. 85-88% on Rotten Tomatoes still possible, but not sure if it can match the first movie's 83 Metascore. Looking like "A" CinemaScore. Worldwide I don't know what it will do, maybe similar to the first, maybe 3 billion if they push it enough? Biggest issue I see with it being extremely leggy is it being too much of a repeat of the first so I'm not sure if it's enough to convince people who didn't like the first movie to check this one out. Should be a hit with younger audiences who were either not born or too young to remember the first in cinemas though. Having child characters might help with that too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

Now, perhaps it's time to lean more into Zoe Saldana's comment on : " IF you do connect with Avatar 2, three will be so much more rewarding!" 😁

Well we have to remember that A2 and A3 was actually one script that Cameron split into 2 movies.

A2 and A3 should obviously compliment each other very well.

Just now, stuart360 said:

Well we have to remember that A2 and A3 was actually one script that Cameron split into 2 movies.

A2 and A3 should obviously compliment each other very well.

Cameron probably forgot that 1 script should not have 500 pages lmao

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Dielman said:

Huh. I thought critics were biased against Avatar like that one user said 🤔

Social media is, Eric, I specifically posted "considering very obvious bias against Avatar on social media", it's a lot of people on different platforms, not just a bunch of critics on twitter. Avatar is one of those movies which are cool to hate on the internet.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

That gushing Variety review is an importnat one.

Variety hasn't released anything yet afaik...that article on their website was a compilation of reactions. The guy who said he "liked it, didn't love it" is at the premiere for Variety, but he definitely is not their critic. No idea who that guy is. Freelancer I guess.