Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

It feels odd to say that #3 WW all-time is the floor, but that certainly seems to be the case based on what scant news we have so far. But 2020 is a good ways off in terms of exchange rates, strength of various economies, and so forth, to say nothing of what happens when we get some actual pictures and/or teaser for it.

Prediction that are not in market share % make little sense to me, at least it require predicting the 2020 world box office, in US dollar.

If all 4 sequels come out on the current release dates, I think 2 & 3 will be a two parter and 4 & 5 will be a two parter. Why else would we wait 11 years and get Avatar 2 and 3 in back-to-back years, then wait 3 years and get Avatar 4 and 5 in back-to-back years. That's just how it seems to me.

24 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

If all 4 sequels come out on the current release dates, I think 2 & 3 will be a two parter and 4 & 5 will be a two parter. Why else would we wait 11 years and get Avatar 2 and 3 in back-to-back years, then wait 3 years and get Avatar 4 and 5 in back-to-back years. That's just how it seems to me.

Maybe but it could be a 4 parter, all the movie being the sequel to the previous one, like a Lord of the Rings or the original star wars trilogy.

One reason could be financial, shooting and making 4 movies before releasing a first one could be just to much expense to make before making the first dollar back, with possible raising interest rate during that time frame, he could have failed to raise that much money.

And other could be technical, maybe some reason for the delay is technological and he compromised to have some technology only ready on the last 2, or some fear that those movie need some new technology to maximize their appeal, the time break make it possible to make it happen (the first movies with X new theatrical trick) 2 times.

1 hour ago, cheesypoofs said:

it's one epic saga, they said so in interviews.

• Like 1

Just now, VenomXXR said:

I'm most interested to see what the series, and specifically number 2, does in China. The 1st film made over $200 million in 2009, a sum more impressive for the time than even it's domestic record. 

And Titanic was number 2 in China the year it got a release there (2012?), close to being number one of the year, really impressive for a re-release of a 1997 movie.

40 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I'm most interested to see what the series, and specifically number 2, does in China. The 1st film made over $200 million in 2009, a sum more impressive for the time than even it's domestic record. 

It really had an incredible performance in China. Avatar almost tripled the next highest grossing film in China at the time, and it was China's highest grossing film until 4 and a half years later (Transformers 4). Avatar alone was nearly 14% of China's total box office in 2010!

• Like 4

China + US alone could cross 1b. 

Considering A1's 200 2009 gross in China and how much that market could grow by 2020, 400-500 isn't an unreasonable projection for A2.

So 1b from China + US is very likely even if it under-performs dom.

Edited by a2knet

10 minutes ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

Really, I'm surprised the MODS have allowed this thread to be in the Main Forum and not "On the Lot" Or is this only for box office clubs???

There's been a lot of confusion and uncertainty over the release date. It was in On the Lot for awhile (maybe a year ago?) and got moved once the release date went from unknown to specific.

Just now, Tele Came Back said:

There's been a lot of confusion and uncertainty over the release date. It was in On the Lot for awhile (maybe a year ago?) and got moved once the release date went from unknown to specific.

well technically now that the strike has happened, is any date specific now? :P

I have no problem with the thread being here, just making a bad semantic joke ;) 

8 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

It was in this forum from the beginning and briefly got moved to On the Lot when people finally protested loud enough. But once the first inklings of production start dates started coming out it immediately got moved back.

Really it only should've been moved to this forum once the cross-referenced reports of a late summer production start date were coming out. Everything up until then was just variations on the same "possibly next year" crap.

Edited by tribefan695

23 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It was in this forum from the beginning and briefly got moved to On the Lot when people finally protested loud enough. But once the first inklings of production start dates started coming out it immediately got moved back.

Really it only should've been moved to this forum once the cross-referenced reports of a late summer production start date were coming out. Everything up until then was just variations on the same "possibly next year" crap.

At the end of the day, it's ultimately a staff decision. We've certainly had movies in the main forum without a formal release date (FORCE AWAKENS, for one). But yeah, this thread has always sort of been in that grey zone. For a long time, it's been clear that the movies were gonna be made (and not just be in development hell), but the constant delays made it a bit problematic. And to be honest, there's probably a bit of grandfathering going on here (in terms of when the thread was created and when the rules were codified a bit more specifically). But at this point it doesn't really make sense to move it (IMO).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

At the end of the day, it's ultimately a staff decision. We've certainly had movies in the main forum without a formal release date (FORCE AWAKENS, for one). But yeah, this thread has always sort of been in that grey zone. For a long time, it's been clear that the movies were gonna be made (and not just be in development hell), but the constant delays made it a bit problematic. And to be honest, there's probably a bit of grandfathering going on here (in terms of when the thread was created and when the rules were codified a bit more specifically). But at this point it doesn't really make sense to move it (IMO).

It has? If I was a betting man, I'd wager this never makes it out/

• Like 1